Confirmed Turbocharger failure

Update from Skoda:

Turbo replaced, engine reported as not needing to be replaced.  Temperature Control Unit replaced.  Test driven this morning and it seems the original fault (no internal cabin heating) is still there.  Given the turbo and heater matrix are on the same circuit, they're understandably being cautious.  Is the turbo and heater matrix coolant line only served by the electric pump does anyone know?

I know it's not the same pump, but it's just got me wondering about plastic impellers and metal shafts - scrub that, just spoken to Skoda who said that'd throw a fault due to amperage drop.  They're now going to measure the internal temperature sensors, as if one of these is registering high/faulty, it won't call for hot water.

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

Hope they sort it. I read the self study guides for these engines (borrowed from a VW tech friend) but don’t have access to them anymore. There’s all sorts of stuff on the cooling system, including, I’m sure, a coolant shut off valve for the climatronic system. Your dealer should have access to all that info and more...

There was a thread on here about heater matrix failures as well,

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/439192-heater-matrix/

• Like 1

This all sounds like an unusual sequence of events, but manufacturers rarely fess to sequences of failures unless they become obvious, as recalls/big bills hove into view.

I had a heart-stopping wastegate failure with my Octavia just before its PCP concluded earlier this year. It was caused by a known problem with the bi-metallic wastegate actuator, ie different metals which expand at different rates but weren’t getting enough lubrication to smooth the interaction. Ended up with both wastegate and turbo having to be replaced as the wastegate actuator rod was stuck.

To be fair to Skoda, they covered the whole cost under the warranty. Which was within 3 weeks of running out...

Edited by MorrisOx

8 hours ago, V6TDI said:

Update from Skoda:

Turbo replaced, engine reported as not needing to be replaced.  Temperature Control Unit replaced.  Test driven this morning and it seems the original fault (no internal cabin heating) is still there.  Given the turbo and heater matrix are on the same circuit, they're understandably being cautious.  Is the turbo and heater matrix coolant line only served by the electric pump does anyone know?

I know it's not the same pump, but it's just got me wondering about plastic impellers and metal shafts - scrub that, just spoken to Skoda who said that'd throw a fault due to amperage drop.  They're now going to measure the internal temperature sensors, as if one of these is registering high/faulty, it won't call for hot water.

Gaz

It is correct that there is an electric water pump (No. 15) it is used primarily to cool turbo etc. When the engine is turned off, I will not reject it also used to pump hot water into heater In the cabin to speed up the heating in the cabin when the engin is cold. the primary water pump for the engine is No. 19 on the chart

24A0E2F7-9228-453E-A2BF-955846A5B370.png

• Thanks 1

Update from Skoda:  Heating Control Unit found to be faulty and believed to be the likely cause of the turbo failure.

New unit being delivered first thing tomorrow and they're hoping to re-unite me with my vRS around lunch time :dance:

Gaz

• Like 2

1 minute ago, V6TDI said:

Update from Skoda:  Heating Control Unit found to be faulty and believed to be the likely cause of the turbo failure.

New unit being delivered first thing tomorrow and they're hoping to re-unite me with my vRS around lunch time :dance:

Gaz

All under warranty Gaz ?

41 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

All under warranty Gaz ?

No, but I'd have diagnostics to pay for (car was a few weeks out of warranty when this this all started), and I'm happy with the Goodwill offered, and my contribution, which means all affected parts are covered by a further two years of warranty.

Gaz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V6TDI said:

No, but I'd have diagnostics to pay for (car was a few weeks out of warranty when this this all started), and I'm happy with the Goodwill offered, and my contribution, which means all affected parts are covered by a further two years of warranty.

Gaz

Good result then...........:nod:

On 17/10/2018 at 21:18, V6TDI said:

Yarp, all being well :nod: :thumbup:

Spoke too soon.  No car and no news from Skoda :sadsmile:

Apart from that fateful journey home, it's now been with Skoda since 01/10/2018.  

On the bright side, at least the weather's been kind to me as I'm cycling everywhere.  On the downside, Dad's taken a turn for the worse and is now on the end-of-life care pathway (not unexpected), so a car would have been handy for all the to-ing and fro-ing.

Gaz

On 15/10/2018 at 11:21, V6TDI said:

I know it's not the same pump, but it's just got me wondering about plastic impellers and metal shafts - scrub that, just spoken to Skoda who said that'd throw a fault due to amperage drop....

Update from Skoda today:

They are going to replace the electric water pump tomorrow (no.15 in Knudsen's pics, I believe).  Possible that the pump is causing red herrings elsewhere.  Interesting.

Gaz

unfortunately there is a general problem with the water pumps, I have just replaced both water pumps (19 and 15) due to leaks (the symptom was slow loss of cooling water) on the main pump (19) there was a crack in the thermostat housing (that is part of the pump on This model)

Update from Skoda:

Skoda Technical have authorised replacement of other parts, which should be delivered next Tuesday.  Next Tuesday it'll be four weeks they've had the vRS.

Dad passed away this morning.  I'm now considering either hiring a car or buying something cheap and local, as there are lots of arrangements to be made and doing it all by pushbike is frankly becoming a bit of a fag, particularly as the Solicitors who'll be dealing with Dad's will are 20 miles away in Hastings.  Dad's now immortalised his own words 'I'm getting too old for this world'.  Not anymore Dad, safe journey :crying:

Gaz

A sight for sore eyes: B):dance::party:

IMG_1199.jpg

I don't know all final details yet, but it turned out to be the coolant check valve, showing as open when it was actually closed.  Just discussed with the mechanics who worked on it and they are happy the engine is fine - all mains shells checked and they were fine, oil pump was fine but has been changed as a cautionary measure.  Nothing reported to have got past a gauze filter so top end fine.

Final bill not yet known, but includes 30+ hours labour :o

Have to say, while it's taken a long time,  I do feel that Birchwood Skoda have looked after me :thumbup:

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1