What happened to my side view mirror? Octavia 07.

Hey!

I wonder what's happened to my mirror? How do I replace it? I just pry it from one side to get it out?

Also, how do I check what type of mirror it is? I know its heated, but I dont know if its reducing the lights coming from traffic when its dark, (dont know the word for it).

Are they expensive to buy new?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20181013_121452.jpg

36 minutes ago, Nuclear_Jules said:

The photochromic ones have a blue tint to them. 

Did is some sort of solvent get on the mirror? Looks odd.

I don't know anything about it really. I just bought the car, now it's my problem to take care of it :biggrin: I might try to peel a layer off, maybe it's a aftermarket film of something on it. The right one looks perfect! This one has a yellowish tint to it.

Edited by andreasw

Looks like the protective film was not removed!

To remove the mirror I find it easier to remove the body coloured back shell first, that is initially scary but easy to do thereafter, then you can put pressure exactly where you want it on the locating clips to remove the mirror, if the old one is broken thats not of any real importance but you can get much more purchase with the back shell removed, fitting the new one for me was far harder than removal but it was a pattern part, I really needed the access and vision to be able to force the new one in.

I've just done a bit of googling, and it seems that this is caused by the auto dimming function in the side mirror. It's some kind of liquid embedded in the glass, and when that starts to degrade/leak out this is what happens. So I'll just buy a new without auto dimming function :)

20 minutes ago, robt100 said:

Thats definately a dimming mirror, you can tell by the fact the mirror glass has a rubber seal round it. Nice and pricey if you want a direct replacement :crying:

Yeah I was shocked over the price difference! Normal ones for £20, and the dimming ones for £250 :biggrin: I won't bother with dimming ones.

2 hours ago, Nuclear_Jules said:

Removing the cover does look quite daunting what do you use to lever it off?

I used my electrical screwdriver because it has a small head but is well rounded from wear over the years; once off once you know what to expect and have done it a couple of times it is no longer daunting, mine come off now just with hand pressure and no tool.

28 minutes ago, Nuclear_Jules said:

And I was shocked by £50 for a Honda Jazz mirror, £250 is nuts for a mirror.

I think you can find cheaper alternatives. But there was only one I could find on a German car parts site, and it was hilariously expensive.

Does anyone have part number for heated side mirror left side? It's a left hand drive car. 

Edited by andreasw

I have the same problem.

It's sad to think that they are so expensive that nobody will replace them and eventually the stocks will be scrapped due to obsolescence instead of being sold at a realistic price in the first place and used while the car is still in use.

5 hours ago, MicMac said:

I have the same problem.

It's sad to think that they are so expensive that nobody will replace them and eventually the stocks will be scrapped due to obsolescence instead of being sold at a realistic price in the first place and used while the car is still in use.

I work as a builder on a hospital, and they ordered a glass that with a flip on a switch turns the clear glass into frosted glass instantly. It's powered a a small transformer. It's approximately 200cm X 140cm. And it costs £2800 :biggrin: Maybe it's the same electrical components 

I have removed the mirror glass without touching the casing. Electrically adjust it completely in the left or right direction. Fingers behind glass and pull slightly. Then disconnect wires and you are away. Had to do this when the glass separated from the base and I re-glued it. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/10/2018 at 05:57, Nuclear_Jules said:

Sharan mirrors come off like that too (don’t try on a Honda) if it’s no longer working cracking it will only mean:

• Cambelt/chain/tensioner issues
  • Dual mass clutch replacement
  • Turbo failure
  • Lambda sensor/DPF gremlins
  • Door seal leaks
  • Air con failure/leaks into footwell

:tongueout: