Budget Dash Cam recommendations

I'm just looking a front mounted dash cam which has decent enough quality to capture number plates in the event of an accident. I won't be hard wiring it and I don't need all the additional functions such as gps recording etc.

I recently purchased a Yi compact dash cam for £40 on amazon based on reading online reviews and comparison tests, but the video quality is poor at best. Although it states 1080p at 30fps the quality is not 1080p. My guess is the data has been compressed to reduce file size/ processor needs and this has ruined it. I can't read number plates from still shots of passing traffic in a 30mph zone. 

I'm trying to arrange to have the camera sent back and refunded but would like to know what my other options are in the lower budget bracket (<£100). 

Edited by cmcm789

I brought this one - Good camera, its quite discreet as well.  I stuck a piece of vinyl next to the rear view mirror / rain sensor and then the camera brackets sits on this via an adhesive pad - The angled lens then pokes out at the bottom - from outside its not really visible at all.  Whilst the audio isn't great, the footage is very good for £50

They do a WIFI version but the power plugs in at the side on those and this means i couldn't flush mount next to the rain sensor.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apeman-Camera-G-sensor-Recording-Detection-C-550/dp/B07GPWV9RV/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1539609959&amp;sr=8-2-spons&amp;keywords=apeman+camera+dash+cam&amp;psc=1

20181015_143315.jpg

Edited by ScoutCJB

Scout

Thank you for that recommendation.  Not heard of that model before.  My old dash-cam has packed up, so for £50 that has got to be worth a punt.

I had lots of problems viewing footage from my old one on a tablet/laptop.  Can I ask if you have tried this one on an external device?

This Yi dashcam has all the features you'd ever want: https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-1080P60-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording-grey/dp/B01CXDP69G/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539673085&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=ddpai+mini2+dash+cam&psc=1

I personally prefer a tiny device, so I've gone for DDPai: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DDPai-Night-vision-Recording-Supercapacitor-Snapshot-Black/dp/B01CZC3732/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539673085&sr=1-4&keywords=ddpai+mini2+dash+cam 

Same features: parking time lapse mode, wifi, save last 10s into separate clip, etc. But it's invisible hidden behind the mirror. DDPai has supercapacitor rather than Li-on battery, so it should have no problem lasting many years in the sun heated parked car.

12 hours ago, lastgasp said:

Scout

Thank you for that recommendation.  Not heard of that model before.  My old dash-cam has packed up, so for £50 that has got to be worth a punt.

I had lots of problems viewing footage from my old one on a tablet/laptop.  Can I ask if you have tried this one on an external device?

Yes, i take the Micro SD memory card out and put it into an adapter to make it full size SD and that goes straight into my laptop via the SD card reader to view anything.  This is a recording paused through Media Player (or you can use VLC or similar), i think the quality is good for the money  - And you can tell the window is dirty!

Dash still.jpg

Edited by ScoutCJB

Are you sure you looked at the right folder on the Yi Dash cam?

I've got the same one, and have no objections for a budget dashcam. There is always a lower, and a higher quality folder for output, and the higher quality stuff has never given me any issues. I can read number plates from a good distance, and its always been more enough to show people silly things I've seen on the road.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ScoutCJB said:

Yes, i take the Micro SD memory card out and put it into an adapter to make it full size SD and that goes straight into my laptop via the SD card reader to view anything.  This is a recording paused through Media Player (or you can use VLC or similar), i think the quality is good for the money  - And you can tell the window is dirty! 

Scout

Thank you. That level of image quality is plenty good enough.  I'll get my order in.

Cool :)

I've hardwired mine to the fusebox and is permanently powered 24/7 - you can also kill the screen off whilst its still switched on.

Its currently got a 64GB card in it but I'm fairly sure it supports 128GB.

Like I said there is a WiFi version but I want bothered about viewing files on my phone and the power adapter for that goes in at the side meaning it wouldn't have been a flush installation.  It also comes with a rear cam but as yet i havent got round to mounting it.

53 minutes ago, ScoutCJB said:

Cool :)

I've hardwired mine to the fusebox and is permanently powered 24/7 - you can also kill the screen off whilst its still switched on.

Its currently got a 64GB card in it but I'm fairly sure it supports 128GB.

Like I said there is a WiFi version but I want bothered about viewing files on my phone and the power adapter for that goes in at the side meaning it wouldn't have been a flush installation.  It also comes with a rear cam but as yet i havent got round to mounting it.

Before you completely hardwire it in (i.e. ripping the trims off etc) try fitting with just the glovebox off first as I have been plagued with an issue with my hardwire kit that appears to misbehave and often refuses to work properly until the start/stop has cycled. 

Sometimes I will start the car and it will work great, however most of the time I start the car, power will be supplied for long enough to kick the camera into life and then, dies once the battery runs out.

All worked fine on a non-start/stop equipped car but will see if it was a one off or the hardwiring kit when I transfer to my next car.

6 hours ago, SnailUK said:

Are you sure you looked at the right folder on the Yi Dash cam?

I've got the same one, and have no objections for a budget dashcam. There is always a lower, and a higher quality folder for output, and the higher quality stuff has never given me any issues. I can read number plates from a good distance, and its always been more enough to show people silly things I've seen on the road.

To be honest I wasn't aware there were 2 folders. I'm sure I downloaded it to my phone via wifi and it didn't give me the option of another version through the camera. I then copied the file from my phone to the computer and viewed it. I will double check when I get home.

In the meantime since posting originally, Yi have got back to me with a replacement code. Hopefully I get it sorted.

Just brought the SD card to my PC and there is only one set of MOV files on the card, so no option for high or low resolution. I took a screen show from today after lunch, light very good and no bright sun causing glare. This was passing a van in a 30mph limit and the reg isn't legible (when viewed full screen on a 22 inch monitor)

image.thumb.png.35222e70863a7c21430dfab2f0d02f70.png

58 minutes ago, cmcm789 said:

Just brought the SD card to my PC and there is only one set of MOV files on the card, so no option for high or low resolution. I took a screen show from today after lunch, light very good and no bright sun causing glare. This was passing a van in a 30mph limit and the reg isn't legible (when viewed full screen on a 22 inch monitor)

image.thumb.png.35222e70863a7c21430dfab2f0d02f70.png

don't you set up the Res options on the Menu of the actual dash cam - you do on my current and previous dash cam

50 minutes ago, ScoutCJB said:

don't you set up the Res options on the Menu of the actual dash cam - you do on my current and previous dash cam

You choose 720 or 1080. That's supposedly 1080p! Honestly i think they compress it so much to save file space so its never gonna be high definition.

They're sending a replacement so we'll see if that's any better. Don't expect it will be.

It's worth considering this Dashcam: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LLH9E84/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1

There is a current promotion (that you have to opt into on Amazon) which brings the price down to £41.99

It features in the top ten of recent Dashcam comparison reviews with top features being wide angle and handles well at night.  It is fairly small too. 

On 15/10/2018 at 12:49, cmcm789 said:

I'm just looking a front mounted dash cam which has decent enough quality to capture number plates in the event of an accident. I won't be hard wiring it and I don't need all the additional functions such as gps recording etc.

I recently purchased a Yi compact dash cam for £40 on amazon based on reading online reviews and comparison tests, but the video quality is poor at best. Although it states 1080p at 30fps the quality is not 1080p. My guess is the data has been compressed to reduce file size/ processor needs and this has ruined it. I can't read number plates from still shots of passing traffic in a 30mph zone. 

I'm trying to arrange to have the camera sent back and refunded but would like to know what my other options are in the lower budget bracket (<£100). 

I picked up the Aukey Dashcam C1 Pro. Works pretty well and is currently on discount on Amazon so you should get it for £109.99. If you check the rest of the Amazon reviews for the Dashcam it's worth buying.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072FVX74Q/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0