Winter tyres

Channel

Am fitting winter tyres  this year as last year due to snow and hills.  Currently fitted with 225/50/18.  18 " wheels makes much less of a choice.  However I have come across Fulda Kristall Control HP2 225/45/18 which seem to review very well coming second out of 51 tested tyres.  There were others,Cooper Weather Master for one, but not so highly thought of, are there any problems with the reduction in height from 50 to 45 apart from speedo readings.  Two suppliers look favourite - My Tyres and Oponeo Tyres.

Karoq 2.0 SEL 4x4 Haldex5 heated screen and seats

Hi Offski.  Quite a few tyre manufactures do not make 18 wheels Hankook being one at least not the tyre I would have which is the RS2 which did very well in the AutoExpress winter tyre test.

Rather than faff about fitting and removing tyres to your 18” alloys, with the added potential of causing damage to them, use My tyres and get a set of 16” steel wheels with the correct tyres fitted as a package. 

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.pl?dsco=110&s_p=Steel_wheels&sowigan=Wi&Hersteller=Skoda&PKWtyp=KAROQ+4X4+2.0+TDI&PKWtypgenau=%3A492536%3A%3A1968%3A140%3A201711%3A++++++%3A57.00%3A112.00%3A5%3ANU++++++++++++++++++%3A%3AO%3AE8*2007%2F46*0272*..++&Show+types=Show+types

• Like 1

If a manufacturer does not do tyres in the size you need such as 225/50R 18 then going for a size smaller is hardly 'Simply Cleaver' seeing as you are buying winter tyres for winter.

Go narrower witdth and more profile if needed but not less profile. 

Narrower measured by sidewall to sidewall as tyres are measured does not always mean narrower treads anyway. 

Again compare the tyres you intend using with what they are replacing.

http://camskill.co.uk

http://atseuromaster.co.uk

Edited by Offski

I drove Karoq 1.6 TDI fitted with 16" tyres and the car had an unpleasant jumping effect on the suspension, effect that is not present, thankfully, on my 2.0 TDI 4x4 fitted with 18" tyres. 

Other option would be to go for a 17" set. You will have a greater range of tyres to choose from and, together with the 17" wheels, it will cost you the same as a 225/50 R18 good winter tyre.

2 hours ago, Gabi4 said:

I drove Karoq 1.6 TDI fitted with 16" tyres and the car had an unpleasant jumping effect on the suspension, effect that is not present, thankfully, on my 2.0 TDI 4x4 fitted with 18" tyres. 

Other option would be to go for a 17" set. You will have a greater range of tyres to choose from and, together with the 17" wheels, it will cost you the same as a 225/50 R18 good winter tyre.

Was the jumping on 16" wheels a rather constant feel, or did it manifest itself only at particular speed/road conditions? A minor thing or serious concern? Did you note the tyres brand?

I'm asking because I've planned buying 16" steel rims dedicated to winter tyres. Wouldn't mind going 17" steels, but I seem unable to find the right ones. A second set of 17" alloys for winter seems overkill.

Edited by agedbriar
  • Like 1

Gabi4,

so did you check what the tyre pressure was on this Karoq with 16" tyres to see if who ever handed it over to you had the tyres at 50psi?

An unpleasant jumping of effect (affect) on the suspension is not something that should be expected if the 16" tyres are at the correct pressures and the transport blocks have been removed at the PDI.

I have 215/60 R 16 Tyres summer or winter on my SEAT Alhambra 2.0TDI SCR DSG which is heavier than a 1.6TDI Karoq's weight by about 440kg

& about 350kg heavier 'kerb weight' compared to a 2.0TSI AWD Karoq. 

The ride is certainly not jumpy on unpleasant, and that is with Continental ContSeal tyres, Summer or Winter version.

Great for potholes and raised iron works on roads and going through road work ramps and on forest and farm tracks.

Great for touch parking without rim damage.

DSCN1522.JPG

DSCN1342.JPG

Edited by Offski

It was a dealer's test car with 3000 km and I had it for 3 days, for tests.

I noticed that effect when taking large curves with high speed and when the road was uneven. It gave me the impression that it produces me motion sickeness.

Karoq has a soft suspension.

Edited by Gabi4
  • Confused 1

Are you saying that you just drove the car for 3 days as it was given to you and you have no idea what the tyre pressures were.

Or did you check and maybe adjust them since it was behaving as it was?

Hardly a basis to be reviewing a cars performance or handling with 16" tyres if you do not know what the pressures were at, 

motoring journalists and other car reviewers often do that and then people listen to an opinion.

Do you know what Brand of 16" tyres were on the car?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/455086-hesitation-on-acceleration-and-esp-blinking

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Living in the Cairngorms and having had our first sprinkling of snow last Saturday I decided to put my winter wheels on today.

I've got the 2.0 TDI SEL 4x4 and put on 215x55x17" replacing the original 18" 

First impressions up the Lecht road were very good. 

Will report again once we've had some decent snow to play in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stefanos said:

Did you get Skoda alloys or OEM ones?

I have been looking  at sites like mr winter wheels and mytyres which do packges including wheels, tyres, balancing and fixings.

OEM's from Mr winter wheels this time, as a package

On my Octavia I had 16" Skoda steels 

Golf & Karoq pretty similar in weight and drivetrains etc.

So obviously these sizes in these size and weights of cars and wheel tyre sizes are relevant.  But then for other classes / sizes & weights of vehicles it will still be the same 'horses for courses' or fit the shoes that fit the horse or the use of the horse.

Edited by Offski

I have a 1.5tsi sel manual Karoq and I have fitted a set of falken 215/55/ r17 hs01 winter tyres on a set of spitzberg alloys which I had on my previous yeti, first impressions after 100 miles is they are quieter, better in dry weather, better in wet conditions and only slightly worse on fuel economy than the Bridgestone tyres that came fitted to the car. I will let you know how they perform in snow if we get any this winter.

Winter wheels fitted last week - sort of a reverse rain dance on the principle of "if you're prepared, it won't happen"

16 inch steels fitted with 215/60 Alpin 5s.

3 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Winter wheels fitted last week - sort of a reverse rain dance on the principle of "if you're prepared, it won't happen"

16 inch steels fitted with 215/60 Alpin 5s.

Can you tell us how the car feels to drive with 16 inch wheels on it please?

2 minutes ago, Stefanos said:

Can you tell us how the car feels to drive with 16 inch wheels on it please?

Very good, nice and supple and no issues with speed humps / potholes. That is a benefit of the taller sidewalls, they also help keep the alloy rims away from the kerbs.

I kept to the 16s as standard for the summers too, having seen reports of harsher ride quality on the bigger wheels. Although I'm no Hamilton, I do like to keep the car rolling through the corners.

5 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Very good, nice and supple and no issues with speed humps / potholes. That is a benefit of the taller sidewalls, they also help keep the alloy rims away from the kerbs.

I kept to the 16s as standard for the summers too, having seen reports of harsher ride quality on the bigger wheels. Although I'm no Hamilton, I do like to keep the car rolling through the corners.

Thanks I've been debating whether to go with 16s or 17s for my winters. Would prefer to go with 16s for cost reasons but was concerned about roll. Car should arrive next weekend and I'll be buying a set of 16s with winters on them, thanks.