Winter tyres

Channel

2 minutes ago, Stefanos said:

Thanks I've been debating whether to go with 16s or 17s for my winters. Would prefer to go with 16s for cost reasons but was concerned about roll. Car should arrive next weekend and I'll be buying a set of 16s with winters on them, thanks.

Hi Stefanos, when I said rolling through the corners I meant that I tend to keep up my speed through them. I usually allow any excess speed to "wash off" before the corner (preferably without too much braking) then accelerate out.

Low profiles would be great on good surfaces, but where do you consistently get those on UK roads?

1 hour ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi Stefanos, when I said rolling through the corners I meant that I tend to keep up my speed through them. I usually allow any excess speed to "wash off" before the corner (preferably without too much braking) then accelerate out.

Low profiles would be great on good surfaces, but where do you consistently get those on UK roads?

Wales. Love the Welsh roads. 

Anyway, I have a question... I have a set of OEM 16” steel rims fitted with 215/60/16’s Alpins, that I use on the Yeti.

Will they fit all the Karoq models, as I’m not sure which I will go for yet.

Due to change in summer next year but have already started the research.

19 hours ago, CFB said:

Anyway, I have a question... I have a set of OEM 16” steel rims fitted with 215/60/16’s Alpins, that I use on the Yeti.

Hi CFB, assuming that the 16s are available as a standard fit or option on the Karoq, pretty likely, provided the wheel bolts are the same number and spacing (PCD) and the wheel center inset is close to your original wheels. Try Googling a website called "Will they fit" for a definite answer, that will tell everything you need. The profile of the winters I fitted (60) gave me little over 4% larger circumference (over standard profile (55) summers) but no issues with this, the winters fitted give slightly taller gearing, but the speedo, checked against GPS on a straight road, reads exactly right. - this is important, manufacturers often calibrate speedos to read up to 5% high - it is not legal for them to supply a vehicle with a speedo that reads low.

Most UK insurers accept the fitting of winter tyres as normal, so it is not usually required to notify them of the change, but you can check online whether or not your company follows this protocol.  

Edited by Warrior193
addition.

19 hours ago, CFB said:

Ah, the land of the Daffodils, I don't get over that way as SHMBO hates the rain.

Hi CFB, assuming that the 16s are available as a standard fit or option on the Karoq, pretty likely, provided the wheel bolts are the same number and spacing (PCD) and the wheel center inset is close to your original wheels. Try Googling a website called "Will they fit" for a definite answer, that will tell everything you need. The profile of the winters I fitted (60) gave me little over 4% larger circumference (over standard profile (55) summers) but no issues with this, the winters fitted give slightly taller gearing, but the speedo, checked against GPS on a straight road, reads exactly right. - this is important, manufacturers often calibrate speedos to read up to 5% high - it is not legal for them to supply a vehicle with a speedo that reads low.

Most UK insurers accept the fitting of winter tyres as normal, so it is not usually required to notify them of the change, but you can check online whether or not your company follows this protocol.  

Thanks, I’ll have a look later.

Ah, the land of the Daffodils, I don't get over that way as SHMBO hates the rain.

Good job you weren’t there in late September then.

Absolutely chucking it down for 3 days solid and as blowy as heck. Flooded roads, fallen trees, didn’t spoil our fun though.

I have original 16" Castor alloy rims with Dunlop Winter Sport 5 tyres  on them and there's no issue. The car is stable, quiet, I drove it it a storm, on quite bad road and all was good. I don't think there will be a significant difference when on 17" rims. 

1 hour ago, Swordfish76CZ said:

I have original 16" Castor alloy rims with Dunlop Winter Sport 5 tyres  on them and there's no issue. The car is stable, quiet, I drove it it a storm, on quite bad road and all was good. I don't think there will be a significant difference when on 17" rims. 

Thanks, that's good to know.

Thinking of buying a set of 16" Castors to put CrossClimate+ tyres on (not available for the 19" Craters); anyone know where's cheapest to order a full set from? I'm going to guess it won't be from the UK dealers :biggrin:

14 hours ago, cjrp said:

Thinking of buying a set of 16" Castors to put CrossClimate+ tyres on (not available for the 19" Craters); anyone know where's cheapest to order a full set from? I'm going to guess it won't be from the UK dealers :biggrin:

Watch your tyre diameters if dropping 3 inches on wheel size.

9 hours ago, cjrp said:

They’d be 215/60, I hadn’t actually considered whether the suspension, etc. could cope with that change from the wider 19”s?

The 215/60 R16 are listed by Skoda.

See my post above with link.

12 hours ago, Marchincus said:

I just did something similar by buying a set of Triton 17" alloys and CrossClimate+ tyres and got a good price, about £300 less than my local dealer who supplied my car,  and service from Mike at Listers who can be contacted using this email:  [email protected]

Thanks for the info, out of interest which size wheels did you have originally? Any other advantages/disadvantages you noticed after changing?

3 hours ago, agedbriar said:

The 215/60 R16 are listed by Skoda.

See my post above with link.

Cool, so I'd still need to check the offset, etc.?

1 hour ago, cjrp said:

Cool, so I'd still need to check the offset, etc.?

Yes, unless you are sure they are right.
Some deviations may be possible, but you must know what they entail.

Edited by agedbriar

9 hours ago, cjrp said:

Thanks for the info, out of interest which size wheels did you have originally? Any other advantages/disadvantages you noticed after changing?

Hi

I have the 19" Crater wheels and 235/40/19 Bridgestone (very noisy) tyres.  My new combination arrive on Monday so I will let you know how I get on.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cjrp said:

@Marchinus did you get a chance to try out the new wheels?

There was a delay in delivering the wheels and they only arrived today but all changed over now and I have only done a short journey since but they are definitely quieter and the ride does not feel much different but a little less harsh.  Cornering seems the same/similar but I will let you know if this view changes after a few days! The Triton wheels look a lot better on the car than I feared with the Craters coming off.

I must also say that Mike at Listers was really helpful and kept me updated throughout - recommend!

Edited by Marchincus

My car was delivered with Bridgestone Turanza 001 215/50 on Mytikas 18 rims and I have to say that the Bridgstone was a very very bad summer tire. I then ordered Continental VikingContact7  215/50 XL nordic wintertire and put them on the 18 Mytikas rims. Very quiet ride, steering respons way better and the car behave more like i want to, next is to figure out what summer tires to order after the boring Bridgestone Turanza.

Edited by Max48

Hi Freefall

The price I got from Mike at Listers was £300 less including delivery than the price quoted by my local dealer who were very helpful when buying the car.  I don't think I should publicly repeat the actual price but suggest you email Mike for a quote: '[email protected]'

Hope you get a good deal and the drive feels really good with them and smoother!

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered the set from Listers as recommended, just waiting for them to be delivered from the warehouse. Also ordered a set of wheel bags from Superskoda, not realising they probably won't fit my 19" wheels (description says up to 18") :rolleyes: