Road Tax

Call me cynical but as diesel car sales decline and petrol ones increase it would be obvious to even Stevie Wonder that more fuel is bought by punters (more fuel duty tax paid plus more VAT) therefore benefitting the greedy politicians. The SMMT already publish facts that show the average emissions from new car sales has increased since the tax (VED) changes in April 2017. This will ultimately cause more respiratory problems for the 5.5 million already having some breathing difficulties. So the government takes the increase in taxes with one hand and then has to give to the NHS to treat the VICTIMS it has created with it's short sighted policies.:angry:

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

Call me cynical but as diesel car sales decline and petrol ones increase it would be obvious to even Stevie Wonder that more fuel is bought by punters (more fuel duty tax paid plus more VAT) therefore benefitting the greedy politicians. The SMMT already publish facts that show the average emissions from new car sales has increased since the tax (VED) changes in April 2017. This will ultimately cause more respiratory problems for the 5.5 million already having some breathing difficulties. So the government takes the increase in taxes with one hand and then has to give to the NHS to treat the VICTIMS it has created with it's short sighted policies.:angry:

CO2 doesn't kill people which is what car tax was based on before. Encouraging diesels (especially pre DPF) does. However it's not a good thing that a Ford Mustang (under £40k) is taxed the same as a Citigo.

Saying that with the road fund licence system before 2001 the last time it was as cheap as £140 was 1995!!!!

Gasoline Particulate Filters now on Gasoline / Petrol cars, obvious reason being there were particulates to be filtered.

Co2 g/km increases showing under WLTP testing over the old system being because the old system was rubbish, but then so is the new one, 

no figures being given for big people in every seat with heavy luggage in the boot and driving where no Stop / Start is going to happen, 

or if it would the driver has it off.

Good excuse to hang onto your pre-April 2017 model. All new registered vehicles are now taxed at £140 but the first year's road tax has implications depending on emissions and price. It is still a basket-case. For example, my 1.2tsi Roomster when I bought it was taxed at £125 per year while my sister's Ford Focus Ecoboost was £30 per year. Road tax goes up with inflation so my road tax is now £140 while my sisters has stayed at £30. If she bought new now, the first year's road tax would be £30 but the second year road tax would be £140

Edited by edbostan

Fact is that recent independent tests on the latest diesels still shows them multiple times over the nox limits in real day to day use and that is the problem and what is killing people. Same with diesel co2. If they don’t get the economy claimed, which they don’t anywhere near, the co2 is far higher proportionetly  in real use. The theoretical claim that co2 has gone up because of more petrol use is just that, totally theoretical and inaccurate as the difference between them and the latest petrols in real use is negligible. 

The wltp change over has as expected  become a total farce. The manufacturers as usual are being as restrictive on data as they can. They  are supposed to give us the wltp figures combined with a Nedc figure for comparison with nedc tested cars. This nedc figure is now just a equation conversion from wltp. The swines are only giving us the converted nedc figure, you try and find the wltp figure! It’s supposed to be with the vehicle spec. They will never change, bent as nine bob notes!   

On 26/10/2018 at 15:30, Oldmansomerset said:

With tax - I'm afraid the only way is up:crying:

I bought a New Peugeot Diesel in 2003 and the VED for that year was £85.00/year.

By the time I sold it in 2016 the VED had gone down to £30/year.

But the Fabia III was free for the first year and from year 1 has now gone up to £20/year.

Thanks AG Falco

On 26/10/2018 at 12:17, xman said:

They didnt see the cuts in EV and Hybrid subsidies coming either.:biggrin:

We will see on Monday 29th October.

No change I believe?