EV real world range and cost to charge

xman

5 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

I'm all in favour of a National ID card.

I'm not, and don't see how this helps track the mileage of someone who is frequently a passenger in a third party vehicle anyway.

10 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

I'm not, and don't see how this helps track the mileage of someone who is frequently a passenger in a third party vehicle anyway.

that was a sidebar response to something mentioned by someone else and has nothing to do with tracking mileage of a vehicle (and not an individual) 

What's wrong with a National ID card?

We all carry something that can identify us, why not have a formal standardised method ?

I miss carrying an ID card on a regular basis.

Edited by Winston_Woof

Once all the old cars and vehicles are off the roads maybe new ones can have iris / biometric identification like with passports and drivers of vehicles will have their eye checked before a vehicle starts.

It might as well read passengers eyes as well and then if any authorities need to know who was where or going places it is all there on record.

On Public Transport as well, at public service places, NHS etc.

Take back control.  Count them in and count them out.  As into and out of the country.  Know who is due to pay some taxes while living in or visiting the UK and using the public infrastructure. 

No pay, then no access or facilities funded by the public.     Obviously allow the walking of public pavements for free. 

2 hours ago, Rooted said:

The whole country of England is that? 

House of commons this week Rural Mobile coverage in the UK: Not-spots and partial Not-Spots.     Google that.

Or the reports on EV charger issues and Sim Cards and mobile connections, RIFD or Contactless. 

Then If only ANPR was everyplace these days, or good Digital Services, radio reception etc.

But it might be in much of England.  London might be going G5 as parts of the UK have not got G4 yet. 

So anyway.  Sim cards issued to Business Users for their vehicles is a simple starter for 10, 

then Bar Codes Issued,  from Insurers, or with MOT,s or put on at a PDI and required to be read at fuel stations, charger or whatever will do.

ANPR at bridges, tunnels and just various roadsides that are tied into HMRC & the Borders Agency etc will be fine.

Some is there and lots is not.   But then we still do not have compulsory ID cards in the UK but you need ID to go vote. 

They like taking back control, but it is a post code lottery. 

Yep there are holes in coverage that's true but you can usually interpret the data to fill the gaps as each device is unique so you get an origin and destination plus the majority of a route and where there are holes there is usually a fairly limited number of roads so you extrapolate and 'join the dots' as it were.

We had one amusing issue where vehicles seemed to be flipping between one side of the Bristol channel and the other depending on which signal towers they were connecting to but it was sorted out and corrected.

The UK Government & devolved Governments, Authorities and Agencies are crap. IT is crap and unreliable, & the DVLA / DfT is not fit for purpose just like the HMRC.

So really if they Cities can not get chancers off the roads, illegal vehicles then out in much of the countryside and maybe towns villages and islands it will be the same old same old for a long time to come. 

6 hours ago, lol-lol said:

How could that work ?

Drivers would do even more of not driving on motorways but driving though leafy conservative voting Cotswold villages and the like.   

Not far from me if the M6 toll motorway and millions of journeys per year choose to take the non Toll M6, polluting Birmingham, all to save a few quid.

But toll roads is the only system I know is widely used to catch all drivers.

How do you see a mileage tax working ?

ANPR cameras on every A road and  significant B road like there are in Greater Manchester now.

You can hardly leave the house now in GM without passing an ANPR recognition Camera

It is amazing, bus lane cameras, Yellow grid cross hatch, traffic light cameras and ANPR, Speed Cameras. 

Just no system that has all cars Registered being current to any particular person just someone sometime & no way to know who the driver is or if holding a driving licence.

Then illegal in the UK e-Bikes and moped. / Scooters etc bombing about. 

So as long as there are Police or Road Enforcers stopping and clamping vehicles moving around or parked then what is all the roadside gear really for?

They must start someplace obviously.   Maybe with Fast Food deliveries and no insurance cover for that.  But then they do not in many places.

Wonderful.

41.3 Million registered vehicles on the UK roads (And sitting on forecourts / in garages, SORNED)  and then foreign vehicles and the same vehicles being logged by ANPRs multiple times each day.

They need to send police around more often to those not showing registered keepers etc.

All they need are more police or enforcement officers clamping and lifting vehicles.  'Nationally'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stonekeeper said:

ANPR cameras on every A road and  significant B road like there are in Greater Manchester now.

You can hardly leave the house now in GM without passing an ANPR recognition Camera

I will be around Manchester Airport on Monday, note all the signs around saying ULEZ is being considered.

There are thousands of routes without cameras and must be many occasions when number plate does not get read due to trucks being between camera and car number plate.  If car is then picked up at another camera later on the system will have to assume shortest distance.  Might be quite a few muddy number plates running around as fine could be cheaper than the road tax.

Could not see anything specific in Labour's Zero emission plans but revenue has to be raised as UK is about £2.5T in debt, up from £1T 14 years ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

I will be around Manchester Airport on Monday, note all the signs around saying ULEZ is being considered.

There are thousands of routes without cameras and must be many occasions when number plate does not get read due to trucks being between camera and car number plate.  If car is then picked up at another camera later on the system will have to assume shortest distance.  Might be quite a few muddy number plates running around as fine could be cheaper than the road tax.

Could not see anything specific in Labour's Zero emission plans but revenue has to be raised as UK is about £2.5T in debt, up from £1T 14 years ago.

Your visit will be logged the moment you leave the Motorway

14 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

Your visit will be logged the moment you leave the Motorway

I come off at J19 on M6 which is quite a way outside Manchester and go to the Sharston area, loads of cameras, will use the Arkana then as heading to Liverpool next day. Air freight one day, sea freight the next.  M6 better than has been in years gone by.  I will not miss long motorway journeys when I retire. Cannot wait for full self driving cars.

Edited by lol-lol

My CPS Account will be due a payment soon. 

This is likely the last time it will as good as it will be because there will be none of the chargers i use free to anymore, there was a couple sessions on here that were.

Otherwise it was 59 pence a kWh and one session at 55 pence.

This will have actually given me near 300 miles from the electricity received. 

Screenshot 2024-04-20 20.49.23.jpg

2 hours ago, Stonekeeper said:

if you leave the Motorway in Cheshire you will not pass a GM camera until you enter Greater manchester obviously

True...   But you'll pass Cheshire cameras 🤣

ANPR isn't just for LEZ... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

What's wrong with a National ID card?

We all carry something that can identify us, why not have a formal standardised method ?

I miss carrying an ID card on a regular basis

I guess this means that you haven't figured out that a "national Id card" is Big Brother's wet dream to end all wet dreams, and offers no actual advantages to the man on the street? Or are you stupid enough to believe the Con Party's Big Lie about the frequency of Personation offences for example?

2 hours ago, Paws4Thot said:

I guess this means that you haven't figured out that a "national Id card" is Big Brother's wet dream to end all wet dreams, and offers no actual advantages to the man on the street? Or are you stupid enough to believe the Con Party's Big Lie about the frequency of Personation offences for example?

I guess you haven't figured out yet that all those individual pieces of plastic in your wallet plus the tracking of your mobile phone plus that number on the vehicles you drive  plus the list of websites that you visit , the purchases you make on Amazon can all be linked together relationally  to fulfill Big Brothers wet dreams already .

As for believing any political party that's irrelevant although interesting example as 15 years or so I was a "victim" of identity theft/fraud.

Having an ID card simply makes it easier to proof in a standardised manner  that this is me should you need too (Side note as it happens I always have my Driving licence with me when I go out) .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Actually they say that the ULEZ scheme up here  is "Under Review" which is different to "being considered"

It was approved and then put on hold (and actually it's why I sold my L200).

12 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

Actually they say that the ULEZ scheme up here  is "Under Review" which is different to "being considered"

It was approved and then put on hold (and actually it's why I sold my L200).

That's a shame, that people sold their vehicles for something that was cancelled

A friend at work lost money on a Land Rover and a neighbour traded in a Mercedes,  both perfectly serviceable vehicles and are now landed with a £570 VED on the cars they replaced them with.

Screenshot2024-04-21at07-11-14CleanAirZoneinformationCleanAirZoneinformationManchesterCityCouncil.png.8a2480fa1ce6021e36b2277fe84c4326.png

Mr Burnham has a Mayoral election to win

Edited by Stonekeeper

7 minutes ago, Stonekeeper said:

That's a shame, that people sold their vehicles for something that was cancelled

Screenshot2024-04-21at07-11-14CleanAirZoneinformationCleanAirZoneinformationManchesterCityCouncil.png.8a2480fa1ce6021e36b2277fe84c4326.png

Mr Burnham has a Mayoral election to win

The only good news is I ended up getting £600 more from we buy any car than I had paid for it  16 months and about 8k miles previously :)

7 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

The only good news is I ended up getting £600 more from we buy any car than I had paid for it  16 months and about 8k miles previously :)

You were lucky, my neighbour was,in my opinion, conned by the dealer in the trade-in because the Dealer said it was "worth nothing now really because no-one will be able to drive it" Gave him £4,000. That was two years ago and they still sell For over £7,000 now.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202403237895192?sort=price-asc&make=Mercedes-Benz&model=C Class&page=7&postcode=m456dj&price-from=3000&price-to=13000&year-from=2014&advertising-location=at_cars&fromsra

Edited by Stonekeeper

I am probably the most Off Topic member on here, but we are well Off Topic from this thread on EV,s range and cost. 

ANPR at Charging Hubs seems like 'Simples'  count them arriving and give them a number in the queue so they know their turn to move in.

Then like at the Swimming baths when i was young and you got a rubber wrist band for the locker key, when time was up the guy shouted BLUE.

It would be lovely with the Subscriptions and Tariffs and Peak Times etc if you could like with TESLA Superchargers you just plug in and the car does a Handshake and charging starts.

& if you are just wanting to pay as you go you pay as you go.  Be that tap a card, watch or vouchers you purchased / topped up like a 'Mobile Phone card'.

Posted before. But just tells it as it pretty much is.

Location location location. Postcode Lottery.   The Social Divide.   Home charging, Public Charging, Business Users vs Private individuals.

People are all different, income levels and vehicles, choice or not having a choice what they drive because they are given a car for work or maybe can not afford a car. Maybe still hire, borrow, car clubs etc.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rooted said:

I am probably the most Off Topic member on here, but we are well Off Topic from this thread on EV,s range and cost. 

ANPR at Charging Hubs seems like 'Simples'  count them arriving and give them a number in the queue so they know their turn to move in.

Then like at the Swimming baths when i was young and you got a rubber wrist band for the locker key, when time was up the guy shouted BLUE.

It would be lovely with the Subscriptions and Tariffs and Peak Times etc if you could like with TESLA Superchargers you just plug in and the car does a Handshake and charging starts.

& if you are just wanting to pay as you go you pay as you go.  Be that tap a card, watch or vouchers you purchased / topped up like a 'Mobile Phone card'.

The possibility of "Road charging" is EV related because it is why the scheme will be inevitable?

The evangilists bang on forever about how they can charge and on a good day with a following wind they can actually get paid for driving about 😉

But the truth will be, we know from experience in other things, that once the dust settles and everyone is on board, all the benefits of money saving will disappear. It will end up costing the same if not more.

And Co2 will still be rising.

As a quick aside.

Last Sunday in mty 2 litre diesel I needed to go to Colne from Bolton.

My trip meter range said 463miles when i left, when i got home my Range was 466miles. Because i hadn't done a decent run on the motorway for weeks.

Does this mean i used no Diesel on the trip? Was it Free?

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Haha 1

It costs the same or more now public charging. 

'The Evangelists'.   WTF.   This guff is just people that give their opinion or experience just like those 'Anti,s'  

Like those banging on about there ICE just fill up and go.  

There is charger rage. 

& There are EV Drivers that never have issues.  @domhnall gets on easily and has no hassles. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rooted said:

It costs the same or more now public charging. 

'The Evangelists'.   WTF.   This guff is just people that give their opinion or experience just like those 'Anti,s'  

Like those banging on about there ICE just fill up and go.  

There is charger rage. 

& There are EV Drivers that never have issues.  @domhnall gets on easily and has no hassles. 

Don't mis-understand me. I would love a BEV and when one comes along, that can meet my need, that i can afford, i am in.

I don't class all EV owners as Evangilists. Some like yourself appear honest about it all.

But the ones with the means to pay it forward and invest thousands of pounds in new technology and solar this and Battery storage that wind me up.

They refuse to add the cost of their infrastructure into the cost.

They believe they charge for "free" from a solar array.

How much do they lose by not getting the "feed in tariff" or "Smart export credits" when they charge the car for the KWs they take, it's a choice but nothing comes free.

To tie all my bugbears into one post why don't we have charging for free at a  hub powered by Cyclists that ignore the Highway code rules, on Static bikes. 😉

Edited by Stonekeeper