1.4tsi Cambelt Change & replacement tyre question

Didn't want to make 2 topics but they're kinda different things hence a long title. 

Our 63 plate 1.4tsi has just been in for MOT/Service/Cambelt Change. Have just had the call to pay and it's less than expected as I was advised the water pump didn't need doing (This is at a Skoda main dealer). I know when I've looked it up there's been some confusion around this and probably just adds to it but thought I might as well let people know my experience.

It's failed its MOT on drivers side rear tyre, it's got a cut or similar in the sidewall that's taken it to the cord. My main question really is around replacing this, the other rear tyre has 7mm of tread left on it as they're fairly new so would I get away with just replacing the faulty one? They're Goodyear 4seasons if that makes a difference.

Definitely just replace the faulty one. I think with all season type tyres you should get a replacement the same as the existing tyres.

Regarding the cambelt, what did the dealer charge, as I was recently quoted £439 ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, classic said:

Definitely just replace the faulty one. I think with all season type tyres you should get a replacement the same as the existing tyres.

Regarding the cambelt, what did the dealer charge, as I was recently quoted £439 ?

I'm surprised they opted to not replace the water pump too. It's possible that later models had the metal impeller however it makes sense in every way to replace whilst replacing the belt?

The diesels had water pump problems (hence the separate pinned thread) but the most current 1.4tsi (and family) have no such issues.

Mine is 4+ years old but low mileage and I do not intend to change the belt for a few years. It is a calculated risk I know, but I have never had a cam chain or belt go on me yet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

The diesels had water pump problems (hence the separate pinned thread) but the most current 1.4tsi (and family) have no such issues.

Mine is 4+ years old but low mileage and I do not intend to change the belt for a few years. It is a calculated risk I know, but I have never had a cam chain or belt go on me yet.

Yet being the key word here. 

If the belt is only driving the water pump then it's not a cam belt - more of an auxiliary belt.

Cambelts (and sometimes chains) are changed as a precautionary measure because waiting to the point of failure risks significant engine damage (like valves contacting pistons).

Aux belts are changed as a precautionary measure but if they fail there's not such a risk of major damage. If your water pump belt fails you're going to have fair warning (via temperature gauge and warning light) before any engine damage occurs. You might still be left at the side of the road waiting for recovery though - so definitely wise to keep an eye on and replace as a precaution.

25 minutes ago, threadbear said:

Yet being the key word here. 

I've not had one go yet either. But then I normally have belts replaced as a precaution so the chances are reduced.

18 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

Similarly, I've not had an accident, yet. Should I stop paying my insurance ;)

Slightly different as car insurance (third party) is a legal requirement for driving on the public roads.

More like accidental damage cover on your home insurance. If you never buy it, one day it could cost you £££. Or you can buy it at every renewal but may never need to claim on it.

I agree with Gerrycan, the manufacturers workshop manuals say inspection only after 240000 km for this engine. It’s the UK importer that says 5 years. 

Personally I’ll keep rolling this particular dice, I’m doing 15 to 20 thousand miles a year so the value of my car is falling like a brick and there’s no point in adding to the loss with a couple of extra belt changes, but I understand why owners get it done when their workshop tells them it needs doing every 5 years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, petrolbloke said:

More like accidental damage cover on your home insurance. If you never buy it, one day it could cost you £££. Or you can buy it at every renewal but may never need to claim on it.

Better way of putting it ;) thank you. 

Suffice to say, it's a dangerous game. Sure, £4-500 is a lot of money, but compared to the cost of repairs should it go, it should be a no-brainer. 

15 minutes ago, classic said:

so the value of my car is falling like a brick and there’s no point in adding to the loss with a couple of extra belt changes

Assuming that one day, you may want to sell it, a full service history would normally increase the value of the car. 

Of course, it's your car, your choice. 

When I’m done with it the car will be 9 years old with probably at least 150,000 miles on the clock. I’m under no illusions as to its value particularly as by then petrol and diesels will hopefully be on the road to extinction. In fact the timing belt can snap after that if it wants to, I have budgeted for the car to be worth nothing at that point.

The last time I traded a car in, the dealer (skoda), added £125 to the valuation for full service history....

Edited by classic
  • Like 2

@classic Good on them.   That helps them by greater than £125 on Asking price and they easily make £125 with Service Items maybe never replaced over 3, 4 or 5 years while customers pay for them.

Then the next owner needs those Service Items replaced.

Full main Dealer Service History meaning not much just often shows what was not done to the Manufacturers Guidelines.

Things not included like Brake Fluid change, or DSG Oil or Haldex Service unless the keeper /owner knows and paid for those.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

41 minutes ago, gRoberts said:

Suffice to say, it's a dangerous game. Sure, £4-500 is a lot of money, but compared to the cost of repairs should it go, it should be a no-brainer. 

The water pump is driven off the camshaft. Should the small belt go, you just lose water pumping. The engine will simply start overheating.

It is not like the main cambelt which dictates valve opening.

As Skoda have said it does not need changing.

Strange no-one ever worries about the auxiliary belt and tensioner...:giggle:

Edited by xman

17 hours ago, classic said:

Pretty sure it was the fixed price £399. I don't have the bill with me right now but it was £607.16, but fixed priced £399 cambelt change, £169 interval service & £39 MOT comes to £607. Not sure where the other 16p came from, plus I was supposed to have paid for collection & delivery. 

Thanks regarding the tyre, was planning to get the same make as you mentioned. Third one on that corner in a year & 10,000 miles (fitted on a Friday last year, puncture on the Sunday, 1 year on a cut on the sidewall has done for the replacement). 

• Like 1