Newbie Skoda Octavia

Hi. I am new to Skoda. I have just acquired a 2017 Octavia Estate, 1.4 dsg with 4k miles. I collected it yesterday, I know early days yet, but I am so impressed with way it drives. My question is, what MPG can I expect driven sensibly with mix dual carriageway and town driving?

Hi, I'm fairy new too and have had my 2017 1.5Tsi DSG estate for a little over a month so far. My best MPG on a long motorway run was 49mpg, it took a bit of effort though. 47mpg is more typical.  Mixed urban/dual carriageway I'm easily managing around 44mpg. My previous car was a 1.6TDI Mk2 Focus Saloon which I managed around 47mpg in on what I would say is the combine cycle. Hence, I'm more than happy with with what the Octy is giving me so far as it is giving me 40PSI more. 

I'm not sure how the 1.4 compares to the 1.5 but it shouldn't be a million miles away.

My observations in a 1.5 tsi DSG  , doing runs with the Sport Mode , is giving me better MPG than ECO , typical high 55 on a 48 mile run duall carriageway and motorways , at 55 to 65 mph 

1 minute ago, johnmb said:

My observations in a 1.5 tsi DSG  , doing runs with the Sport Mode , is giving me better MPG than ECO , typical high 55 on a 48 mile run duall carriageway and motorways , at 55 to 65 mph 

I would concur. What your right foot does makes more of a difference than what mode you are in.

12 hours ago, ChrisJ_SLH said:

I would concur. What your right foot does makes more of a difference than what mode you are in.

Mode button does nothing beyond making the pedal more or less sensitive. As you've said, the only thing that makes a difference is your foot ;)

I use eco mode. The full performance ,for a manual anyway, is released if the pedal is pressed to the floor. I rarely need that.

The mpg depends on the length of the journey. But my round town mpg eventually gets up to 40, indicated,  or so after several miles. But the traffic is different for everyone.  48mpg indicated for my long term overall consumption.

And on a regular  hilly, cross country run of 25 miles from cold, anything from 50 mpg up to 65 mpg, very traffic dependent though. Long 300 mile dual carriageway and motorway trip I get 54 mpg. I have my speed reminder set at 75mph and I cruise at a true 70mph when I can.

The indicated and calculated mpg is only out by 1 mpg, so I don't bother about that.

2 hours ago, gregoir said:

I use eco mode. The full performance ,for a manual anyway, is released if the pedal is pressed to the floor. I rarely need that.

The mpg depends on the length of the journey. But my round town mpg eventually gets up to 40, indicated,  or so after several miles. But the traffic is different for everyone.  48mpg indicated for my long term overall consumption.

And on a regular  hilly, cross country run of 25 miles from cold, anything from 50 mpg up to 65 mpg, very traffic dependent though. Long 300 mile dual carriageway and motorway trip I get 54 mpg. I have my speed reminder set at 75mph and I cruise at a true 70mph when I can.

The indicated and calculated mpg is only out by 1 mpg, so I don't bother about that.

Do you find cruise control has any impact on the MPG? As in, better or worse?

I am averaging a genuine 43 mpg, calculated tank to tank, mines a 2014 1.4 manual. I’ve found the on board computer to be 3 mpg optimistic.

For reasons I don’t understand it gets better mpg in normal mode or sports mode than eco ....? I run it in normal mode.

I don’t thrash it, but I don’t spare the horses, so if you have a light foot I’m sure 45+mpg is achievable.

Not sure about the effect of cruise control but I’ve got 2 routes I use for my commute, one is 90% single carriageway roads and the other is 75% dual carriageway where I use the cruise a lot. The car gives better economy on the non cruise route - not scientific I know but it’s what I’ve found.

6 hours ago, dogdiego said:

Don't:sadsmile: have it on my SE.

Mpg is speed dependent, so if you use cruise to keep it down, then your consumption might be better. I've driven 330 miles in a day without a sore leg.

2 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

The only true measure is brim to brim refuelling.

Let us know how you get on.

I've done that in the past-  as I said above, the indicated mpg was only around 1 mpg better. Next time I fill up, I may do another check.

Normal cruise control does a really good job of economical driving in relatively flat terrain in suitable traffic conditions. I use it a lot even in urban conditions.

In hilly country it is less economical since it will use big throttle to maintain the set speed but no worse than people who drive that way.

The real savings come from avoiding accidental speed tickets :)

I am guessing that ACC cruise could be a lot less economical than a good anticipatory driver.

Thanks everybody for all of your advice and input, Nothing scientific with my observations so far. My daily commute is a 30 mile round trip, traffic conditions in mornings is generally light all the way, return is somewhat different, half my journey is reasonably clear dual carriageway, other half heavy congested city traffic. If computer is to be believed, I should expect a little over 500 miles from tankful, i am thinking that's about 45mpg (i am assuming here that the dealer filled tank 100%) So much better than my previous car, a 1.8 Mazda 5. I am extremely pleased with my new car.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. Finally filled tank 46.5lt / 10.23gal  covered a distance of 407 miles, to my reckoning that's 39.8mpg. (I am assuming that dealer did brim tank prior to me collecting  vehicle)  I am well pleased with that, considering at least 8 miles of my 30 mile daily commute is in very heavy city traffic. Got a trip to Scotish Borders next week, looking forward to those results.

On 19/11/2018 at 13:27, dogdiego said:

I had a trial a little while back, on a run over to the east coast, I used the ACC going there and had upper 50's mpg, but on the way back I drove in eco mode and didn't use the ACC and my indicated mpg was in the higher 60's

I now just use D mode not eco as I did then as I can now regularly get 500 plus miles to a full tank, I only tend to use ACC when in unfamiliar places or on a smart motorway.

My first Octavia estate had cruise control, not ACC and it wasn't as good on the mpg as this one is with the ACC.

In real terms, it will be down to the driver and road conditions etc.