Android auto issues

7 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

mine is spot on, which navigation app are you using? with AA you use either google maps or waze. you need to download waze to your phone.

We are using Google maps. I could try Waze I guess and see if there is a difference

Ive never been impressed with Android Auto. Ive had numerous hire cars in Spain over the last two years with it installed. I always find the connections flakey and prone to drop easily. In this car I dont have that problem. What I do have is Waze will load and then freeze. Turning the car off and rebooting the phone doesnt help. Spotify wont load at all. I use a XiaomiMi Max2 phone. Ill take a look at whether the AA software in the car needs updating and whether I have the latest version on my phone. Its irritating as I far prefer Waze to any other SatNav software i have.

I think the Xiaomi is the issue, ive read on xda.developer that some people with Huawei and Xiaomi phones are having issues with AA on VAG units. Ive got a S8+ and it works seamlessly even wirelessly.

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Thanks 1

I don't see the need for Android Auto? Use Here and then Spotify on the phone via Bluetooth and it mutes music on announcements and just works....

- Bret

31 minutes ago, brettikivi said:

I don't see the need for Android Auto? Use Here and then Spotify on the phone via Bluetooth and it mutes music on announcements and just works....

- Bret

I definitely need to see where I'm going as well as hear it. Also Spotify on AA lets you choose playlists etc rather than using your phone.

I don't want to connect my phone every time I get into the car. I'm used to doing without maps (why would I want them? - I get instructions like "turn left and then keep left" - why do I need a map?) and the playlist is a massive one. I was excited when I first got this and upgraded my Note 4 to deal with it - and then I tried it, saw the lack of speed and dropped it. I really see no point. That it was a painful user experience led me to completely ignore it.  I use the nav all over Europe and haven't experienced problems except forgetting to change units when entering or leaving the UK.  Same phone for tunes and nav means it just works, even in rentals.

Does AA show on the digital dashboard?

- Bret

7 hours ago, brettikivi said:

I don't want to connect my phone every time I get into the car. I'm used to doing without maps (why would I want them? - I get instructions like "turn left and then keep left" - why do I need a map?) and the playlist is a massive one. I was excited when I first got this and upgraded my Note 4 to deal with it - and then I tried it, saw the lack of speed and dropped it. I really see no point. That it was a painful user experience led me to completely ignore it.  I use the nav all over Europe and haven't experienced problems except forgetting to change units when entering or leaving the UK.  Same phone for tunes and nav means it just works, even in rentals.

Does AA show on the digital dashboard?

- Bret

The whole point of android auto is to remove any distractions and keep the interface as simple as possible to prevent accidents.

The interface is pants for a reason. If you go look at the seminars on why and how they designed it you will understand why it is how it is.

@bret theres no digital dash on my AA, you can download various apps designed for AA but alot of them have been removed due to driving risk. I think AA has come along way since Note 4. i've just got my hands on a Note 9 and its seamless. Its more the device than the AA on your amunsden/columbus.

the main reason for AA it to handle communications like text messages to speech when you are driving which it does brilliantly, much much better than carplay, voice control is far superior but apple are catching up.

Edited by JohnnyType2

15 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

The whole point of android auto is to remove any distractions and keep the interface as simple as possible to prevent accidents.

the main reason for AA it to handle communications like text messages to speech when you are driving which it does brilliantly, much much better than carplay, voice control is far superior but apple are catching up.

Totally agree with the first bit above.

However, in regards to the second bit. I find that AA reading the message is great, however when I come to reply, AA just doesn't understand my broad Derbyshire accent, when I say, "send it" in my normal voice, it either asks me if I want to send it or change it? I find the only way I can get it to understand the command is to put on a stupid voice and then it will 80% of the time work. 

Tbh, quite frustrating at the best of times.

Could do with a learning interface only available when static or when the phone is not connected to the car.

I've tried AA with my S8 and it works perfectly, but only tried it hardwired via USB Sync/Charge cable. I usually just have the phone connected to the infotainment via bluetooth for the phone functions and of late the phone acts as a hotspot for WLAN connection for Skoda Connect for Live Traffic on the built in Nav.

Gmaps planning and routing is that little bit smoother and logical (because I've used it extensively in my last car on my phone itself) than the built in Nav. I do now have Waze fully setup on my phone and I'll give that a go next mainly because you can get a GPS Speedo up on the infotainment screen.

I'm also trying to persist to get used to the built in Nav which works just fine ;) I like having the live traffic on it now.

Thing is I'm from a time where you learnt stuff/guessed routes or read maps I've now got Nav overload lol

Started using AA again with my new Huawei having been put off when I tried with my old phone. 

Quite impressed now, the sound quality is good (my main bugbear previously) and the track change steering wheel buttons are much more responsive compared to Bluetooth. 

Still dislike the low res unpolished display however...

13 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

What device are you using it with?

I think your limitation might be that resolution, since AA works just fine in my car and my girlfriend's car... And with quite nice resolution too.

Maybe try to enable developer menu in the AA app (you do this on the phone and while unplugged from the car) and in the developer menu try to tick some of the boxes that have to do with output resolutions - there is an HD one, which might be what you are looking for ;)

The actual screen in the car, at best with a latest spec 9.2" columbus is something like 1280x640 isn't it?

That's always going to look low res next to a 1920x1080 (or better these days) 5-6" smartphone. 

14 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

Sounds like you have high expectations, I mean it could be worse like my mates Golf R where he had to pay to get the effectively the same amundsen unit for nav and telephone prep.. He didn't. 

How about a nice high end tablet to fix the res issues and just run gmaps/nav on that?

Personally it works just fine and so it's low res, it shows maps and music track stuff. I compare it to mates M cars nav from 10+ years ago it's in another league :)

Compared to the standard system which looks clear and glossy it's a bit dull / flat in my opinion. Low res wasn't the best of words admittedly because as Kenai said the screen itself has a relatively low resolution.

Yes, still completely usable and a great feature.

2 hours ago, Jaco2k said:

What device are you using it with?

I think your limitation might be that resolution, since AA works just fine in my car and my girlfriend's car... And with quite nice resolution too.

Maybe try to enable developer menu in the AA app (you do this on the phone and while unplugged from the car) and in the developer menu try to tick some of the boxes that have to do with output resolutions - there is an HD one, which might be what you are looking for ;)

Thanks for the advice. Phones a Mate 10 Pro, setup is fine, just me being fussy! 

21 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

look for AA mirror on xda.developers

its an app that mirrors your phone to the amundsen/columbus screen. theres 5 mins of setup and works well.

20181106_083904.thumb.jpg.3a6835d21478bf0beff0e251e64fa1ea.jpg

Do you need to root the phone? Looks interesting...

29 minutes ago, Swirly182 said:

Do you need to root the phone? Looks interesting...

there are several methods and the devs are workin on the easiet way, the app is still only in alpha. so i cant say when its finished if it will need rooting. mine is rooted anyway