6Y Fabia Comfort Questions

oWhiskey

Hi all, I've been around here for a while but never really felt like making an account.

Anyway, I have a few questions regarding a Fabia I just picked up. One thing stood out during the inspection. I was looking around, checking the tyres and all that but when it came to the brakes I noticed that there are discs on the rear. Now, I don't often see MK1s with rear discs. Could this have been a previous conversion? Also the wheels are seemingly aftermarket. Now I'm not exactly bothered by them but given the tyres (Pirelli and Contis) I can only imagine that the previous owners seemed to quite enjoy driving a little 'spritedly' (as do I) and am wondering if anyone knows which alloys they may be. They're painted as on one of the wheels it's coming off. Also, the front passenger door will not unlock and as such will not open. It has previously been worked on and I've had the door card off including the metal shielding to try and find the issue. Looks like I'm going to have to inspect a bit further though as there's no physical 'poppy' lock. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with these cars? It is an ATD 1.9 TDi PD100 if that helps - and yes I'm fairly sure it's had a remap or something as it's a bit quicker than my '08 1.9 TDi PD105 MK2.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming window issues as I've suffered twice in the past on two of my cars ('02 Polo and the '08 Fabia MK2). Tuning the ****** once I've rebuilt it should be fun - I just love these engines. Yes, it needs a good bit of bodywork but I'm a body repair technician so that's no issue - I bought it for the engine and a bit of fun.

As for a photo of the car, see here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqmkMcKhBQ8/

Cheers lads and lasses.

6 minutes ago, Wino said:

ATD would have left the factory with drums on the back, so yeah, looks like someone has done you a favour. :)

Well that's exciting. Now I've just got to find out which pads and discs fit as they're a tad low. It's nice to be able to lock the rears up. Cheers mate!

Edited by oWhiskey

I might be wrong about that actually. The document I was looking at lists rear discs and rear drums for engine codes ATD and AXR, so maybe it was an option, or changed over at some stage in the model's lifetime. What year is your car?

5 minutes ago, Wino said:

I might be wrong about that actually. The document I was looking at lists rear discs and rear drums for engine codes ATD and AXR, so maybe it was an option, or changed over at some stage in the model's lifetime. What year is your car?

Ah right. It's a 2004. 

2 minutes ago, Wino said:

Have a look at the options sticker in the service book, or on the boot floor. If it has a code 1KM it was born with drums on the back, if you find 1KK instead, it's always had rear discs.

1KK, so I guess it was fitted with discs before it rolled on out. Clearly someone wanted effective braking when they ordered it! Cheers pal. Could you by any chance link me to or send me the document that you're referencing? I have messaged you about it as well.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 07:44, Tech1e said:

Afraid not mate, PD100 all came with rear discs (same as the 1.4 16v with 100bhp).

Ross is correct - My old mans 2004 1.9 PD Ambiente has rear discs as well.

As far as i'm aware ALL the Fabia's with rear discs all shared the same hardware, 232mm solid discs and Lucas calipers, just painted mint green on the vRS's and red on the vRS SE's

16 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Ross is correct - My old mans 2004 1.9 PD Ambiente has rear discs as well.

As far as i'm aware ALL the Fabia's with rear discs all shared the same hardware, 232mm solid discs and Lucas calipers, just painted mint green on the vRS's and red on the vRS SE's

Even the last non SEs had red calipers. 

;)

I'm sure Ross is correct for the UK market, as he has all the experience to know. It remains a mystery to me though why both rear disc specs and rear drums specs are given for ATD and AXR engine codes in the official erWin document covering fabia braking systems which is the same as the info here: https://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk1/chassis/technical_data/brakes/brake_variants_and_their_assignment/

Maybe some other markets had drums as standard, or a choice. Or could just be an error in the documentation, of course.

Edited by Wino

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:53, Wino said:

ATD would have left the factory with drums on the back, so yeah, looks like someone has done you a favour. :)

Are you sure???   Our 2001 1.9 TDi ATD has discs all round (although it was an estate).

Edit: Apologies - looks like others and yourself have already picked that up!

Edited by skomaz

3 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Are you sure???   Our 2001 1.9 TDi ATD has discs all round (although it was an estate).

Might have helped you to read on a little bit. :P

7 minutes ago, oWhiskey said:

Might have helped you to read on a little bit. :P

Indeed - I did and have acknowledged my error...   :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone. Still wondering about the wheels though as I'm not sure if they're worth keeping.

Oh yeah, I have a feeling it's been remapped as it is a slight bit quicker than the remapped PD105 I'm used to, and you can really feel that difference.

Getting the car up on the carport today once the old car is picked up to be turned in to coke cans (it's a 2001 Focus 1.6 silver top - nasty stuff) as it's blowing blue smoke at idle. I think it was too full when I first checked it so hopefully that's playing a part.

21 minutes ago, oWhiskey said:

Thanks everyone. Still wondering about the wheels though as I'm not sure if they're worth keeping.

I can have no opinion about your wheels, the link is broken so I've no idea what they look like.