190 TSI or 245 VRS? - Ride Quality

We have a Karoq 2.0 TDi 4X4 which is perfect for family, a really great car. I tested a Karoq 1.5 TSi yesterday (to replace an A3 1.4TSi) and was not enamoured with the laggy engine, really lacks the punch of the outgoing 1.4 TSi in the VAG range.

My thoughts turned to the Octavia and I drove a 1.4 TSi 150hp. Loved it! Looking at specs the recently introduced 2.0 TSi 190 interests me, but I have always really hankered for a VRS. My doubts are over ride quality, given how awful many Surrey roads are.

If I specced a petrol VRS 245 Estate on 18" wheels with DCC (adaptive suspension) would that soften the ride sufficiently in every day suburban use or am I trying to bang a square peg into a round hole?

I would appreciate real-world input from VRS owners and especially those with DCC. Thanks

We have a vRS estate on 18s with standard suspension.  The ride quality is good.  It’s a bit firmer than the Yetis we had, but much more comfortable than our Golf GTI on 19s.  The Octavia has a longer wheelbase than the Golf and that helps ride quality

• Like 2

With DCC could I set the suspension to it's softest for the pot-holed roads locally, or is that misunderstanding the point of it? Reviews seem to suggest soft is for motorway work. All a bit confusing.

You can set it to whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want. Obviously the different settings come with trade offs - soft will ride more comfortably but will result in more body roll for example. 

• Like 2

DCC with the 18" should be fairly compliant bit definitely still on the firm side compared to a Karoq. I cover nearly 50 miles a day in my VRS (without DCC) and I have no major issues with the ride or refinement.

You might find an increase in tyre noise/roar in the Octavia VRS with wide low profile tyres, compared to a Karoq with chunkier, taller sidewalls. Best to test drive one if you can.

3 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I have a Pre FL 230, 19 wheels with New 235/35 X 19 Goodyear F1 " Asy 3's " set at 39Psi (2.7b)  with Standard Vrs  suspension, rides a dream.......

Same here and same car , for a warm hatch the VRS has a soft ride, especially if you fit Assy 3’s imo. Will crash if you hit a pot hole but otherwise too soft for me. I would prefer it sharper. I prefer the sharpness and firmness of my ST3, No I just much prefer the ST3 :) 

Surrey does have some awful roads (the Government allocates funds based on miles of roads , not vehicle numbers), and there are hardly any good driving roads in the area that are little used with long sweeping bends etc.

A lot depends on what you want the car for, some of the comments so far seem to have given ride quality for the driver, and completely ignored any passengers.  

If you have family I would suggest looking at new 190, but ultimately which is better (and better value) will depend on your overall spec priority.  As always divide options into 3, those you want and would miss if not there, those you don’t really care about, and a middle group.  Only pay for first group, middle group only include if package with them is better value, and group 3 are wasted money if you get them.  This may affect a decision between SEL and VRS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

County Durham has and has always had bad roads most diabolical.

The passengers get the same ride as the driver. Honestly the VRS does not have a problem with ride. I wouldn’t want any car any more soggy, be bloody awful. Mine has 19’s so the 18’s will be softer. 

I do think these cars soften with miles. I have 40k  and starting to suspect tbe shockers might be on the way out as it’s softer than I would like. 

All very helpful, thank you.

I have decided to stick with a 2.0 SE-L 190 DSG Estate.

The thing I like most about the VRS is the twin tail pipes, which look great and I suspect would keep the BMW/Merc/Audi tailgate Charlies at bay on the motorway.

On all other models there is no exhaust to see at all, which is disappointing. Are there any other mods/accesories that hint about the pace of this wolf in sheep's clothing?

Woody

I have DCC on mine and it is great. I set the suspension to Comfort and everything else to Sport on individual mode and it is very smooth on our rough roads. It rides heaps better than a non DCC model. Sport mode is only a button press away if you're on good winding roads.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Woody37 said:

All very helpful, thank you.

I have decided to stick with a 2.0 SE-L 190 DSG Estate.

The thing I like most about the VRS is the twin tail pipes, which look great and I suspect would keep the BMW/Merc/Audi tailgate Charlies at bay on the motorway.

On all other models there is no exhaust to see at all, which is disappointing. Are there any other mods/accesories that hint about the pace of this wolf in sheep's clothing?

Woody

Not really. With only 190 hp available you really aint going to worry very many cars these days. 

23 hours ago, Woody37 said:

They don't, if anything it encourages bellends who seem on a mission to prove their 2.0TDI company car is faster. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kenai said:

They don't, if anything it encourages bellends who seem on a mission to prove their 2.0TDI company car is faster. 

And unless your on the ball with a VRS, right gear etc they will **** you off out of roundabouts etc, Just don't get caught below 3.5k! You nearly always get them easy enough when they have to change gear twice to your once and your extra 50 odd hp kicking in with a much larger power band. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 01/12/2018 at 23:42, ExSEAT said:

I have a standard VRS 220, Ive ordered a 245 VRS and specced the DCC in the hope I can remove some of the jigglyness the standard suspension produces on the awful roads around here. 

So now months later... did you find that DCC improved the ride as you hoped?  I have the same issue with many of my local roads and am keen to know if DCC made a useful difference.