She's back!

After almost a month off the road after hitting a deer, my VRS is back!

Makes you appreciate it even more when you have to go without. When it was dropped off today it was almost as exciting as the day I picked it up new.

So I was checking out the work and thought that the bonnet seems to be sitting a bit higher than before. I was just comparing it to some pictures on the mega 'Post your pictures thread', when I though wtf, where's my VRS badge! Doesn't look too bad actually, and i'd been thinking about going black anyway.

Would appreciate your thoughts on the bonnet height...….here's a before and after shot.

IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

Looks like a fairly ok gap to me tbh, maybe it’s the angle but mine seems to have less of of the top edge of the bumper showing. I actually prefer it without the vRS badge myself but I’m not going through the faff of removing mine as there’s a lot of work involved in it!

68E9B49F-6490-4D7A-950E-4E9B8DBE2243.thumb.jpeg.440ef620ebb174f42095b0c5269aef5b.jpeg

The bonnet does look to sit higher on the drivers side (where the first 2 grill fins are) than the passenger side - Is it a new bonnet or have they 'bent it back'

The grill fitment looks ok, unsure if there is a bonnet rubber there and whether it needs adjusting (like you could on old cars) and whether it may drop the bonnet a bit.

Have you driven at night yet - The Xenons need to be aligned using a specific method via VCDS or what ever main dealer have.  If this hasnt been done properly the aim maybe wrong.  I had this issue when someone hit my old Scout, the driver lamp was replaced but always pointed too low.  I PX'd it a week after it was fixed but if I had kept it then it would have needed sorting.

My gut reaction was that it does sit a bit higher, but it's maybe only a matter of a few mils. I'm pretty sure it's a new bonnet - at least that was what they said would be done. I will get back to them about adjusting it. I checked out another Octavia at work and it's hard to tell if it's much different - probably needs a side by side comparison.

I agree they must have fitted a non-VRS grill. I don't actually mind it bare, but if I ever come to sell on, the buyer will expect it to be there. Don't superskoda sell VRS badges that clamp on?

The headlight aim seemed OK last night - i'll pay more attention tonight. It did need to go back to the dealer to get the coolant bled, but I guess they only did what they had to and wouldn't question the headlight aim.

It's just great to have it back, even the old rattles have come with it!

On 12/12/2018 at 12:41, andyh41 said:

My gut reaction was that it does sit a bit higher, but it's maybe only a matter of a few mils. I'm pretty sure it's a new bonnet - at least that was what they said would be done. I will get back to them about adjusting it. I checked out another Octavia at work and it's hard to tell if it's much different - probably needs a side by side comparison.

I agree they must have fitted a non-VRS grill. I don't actually mind it bare, but if I ever come to sell on, the buyer will expect it to be there. Don't superskoda sell VRS badges that clamp on?

The headlight aim seemed OK last night - i'll pay more attention tonight. It did need to go back to the dealer to get the coolant bled, but I guess they only did what they had to and wouldn't question the headlight aim.

Hi Andy,  good that you have your car back and I notice you said the old rattles have come with it. I wonder if you have ever undone the undertray. I did that just partly and out came a lot of stones and gravel. might be a source of rattle.

Thanks for that thought. I think the most annoying rattle is coming from inside the car, either back seat or door latch - though it's a nightmare to identify that sort of thing from the front seat!

Just a thought, looking at the before and after pictures, yes the bonnet is looking to be sitting higher, but as the before picture is when the damage was done to the front end. Could it just be that the before picture shows how much the grill was pushed back and consequently up when impacting the deer?

Just a thought, plus the photos were visibly taken at differing heights/distance/angles.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:41, andyh41 said:

Fairly obvious it's been in an accident with the front grill badge missing, this will affect it's resale value if it's not a keeper, but if you prefer it then no problem.:dry:

Too much panel gap in my opinion, especially around the right side of the driver’s side headlamp.

Personal preference, but they’ve clearly not ordered the correct parts or done the job to 100%, so I’d be straight back down there. 

4 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Fairly obvious it's been in an accident with the front grill badge missing, this will affect it's resale value if it's not a keeper, but if you prefer it then no problem.:dry:

That was my thought too. I do plan to keep this one, but you never know.

I'll give it a good look over this weekend and come up with a list of things that need further attention.

• Like 1