VRS MK3 Exhuast

mcdl

I've recently had a Scorpion (https://www.scorpion-exhausts.com/skoda-octavia-vrs-2-0-tsi-265-2013-2015-resonated-cat-back-system-oe-fitment) fitted to my MK3 Octavia VRS. Sounds good however I am getting some vibrations through the seats in the vehicle at around 3000rpm+. I've done about 1000 miles so far with the exhaust fitted. 

I understand any aftermarket part will change the OEM feel of the vehicle but I wanted to know if this was normal and if it's to do with the type of exhaust itself. I am wondering if the Remus (https://clptuning.co.uk/product/remus-cat-back-exhaust-skoda-octavia-vrs/) given that it's a more quality and refined exhaust that it wouldn't give that high resonation and vibration in the cabin?

18 hours ago, mcdl said:

given that it's a more quality and refined exhaust...

What are you basing this comment on re: Remus vs. Scorpion? (Out of interest, not being snarky :) )

I have a full turbo-back Scorpion system myself, which I've had both non-resonated (loud!) and now resonated. Both setups pushed more vibrations in the car but was minimal over OEM - does depend on how much vibration we're talking, though. 

New exhausts will take time to bed in, 1000-2000 miles being about right (certainly for my setup anyway) - and now it works a dream. The MkIII Octys have minimal soundproofing, so any minor increase in noise - such as a larger diameter exhaust - will increase felt vibration anyway. 

1 hour ago, Ads230 said:

What are you basing this comment on re: Remus vs. Scorpion? (Out of interest, not being snarky :) )

I have a full turbo-back Scorpion system myself, which I've had both non-resonated (loud!) and now resonated. Both setups pushed more vibrations in the car but was minimal over OEM - does depend on how much vibration we're talking, though. 

New exhausts will take time to bed in, 1000-2000 miles being about right (certainly for my setup anyway) - and now it works a dream. The MkIII Octys have minimal soundproofing, so any minor increase in noise - such as a larger diameter exhaust - will increase felt vibration anyway. 

Mainly price difference as well as finish, I've seen the Remus and the finish on it is very nice. Although the Scorpion also is a quality product, just being £1000 more....

I'm feeling somewhat strong vibrations through the seat at 2500rpm+ as well as noticing the back window vibrating also. The sun viser when down does the same too. I wonder if I just need to put another 1000 miles on it because I don't hear any rattle, the vibration is only happening at a high-ish RPM so I don't believe it's a fault with the fit. 

• Like 1

Hi have the miltek cat back exhaust non resonated and never felt vibrations under the seat or the window vibrating. It is definitely more droning at motorway speeds though. Has the exhaust been fitted correctly and is sitting on the hangers correctly?

5 hours ago, Madmax889 said:

Hi have the miltek cat back exhaust non resonated and never felt vibrations under the seat or the window vibrating. It is definitely more droning at motorway speeds though. Has the exhaust been fitted correctly and is sitting on the hangers correctly?

I have the full 3" resonated (quiet) Milltek system fitted which cost £1,800 (including the downpipe) and there no vibration and no droning on the motorway but I bought it to increase the power and not increase the volume inside the car.:tongueout:Done just over 3,500 miles so nicely bedded in.:D

• Like 1

Is it the exhaust and not something mechanical? If you are feeling it in the seat, could need the rear wheels balancing as this would give off vibrations at around those RPM's, similar to unbalanced front wheels and the vibration through the steering wheel.

• 1 year later...
On 25/12/2018 at 08:07, Ads230 said:

Sorry old post, does the resonated scorpion exhaust make a huge difference to stock? I've ordered it and waiting for delivery. Was contemplating the non-res but felt I would really regret it 

39 minutes ago, hazzaardous said:

does the resonated scorpion exhaust make a huge difference to stock

In my experience, yes - but then I think anything would make a noticeable difference to the stock 'silence'. I presume you've gone cat-back (no downpipe)? It definitely makes a much deeper, louder note than the original, whilst being pleasant both internally and externally.

Non-res WAS obnoxious (for longer periods than 10mins in daily driving) both internally and I probably externally. It was fun 'blatting' around in underground car parks at low speed, but ear-bleeding on motorway trips. The issue is that the Octavias (and I presume Skodas in general) tend to have a lot less sound-deadening than other VAG marques, so the increase in NVH is much steeper when swapping exhausts.

I hope you'll be pleased with the new setup, it literally changed the character of my car overnight (and in a good way... after I'd got the resonated version 😅)

13 minutes ago, Ads230 said:

In my experience, yes - but then I think anything would make a noticeable difference to the stock 'silence'. I presume you've gone cat-back (no downpipe)? It definitely makes a much deeper, louder note than the original, whilst being pleasant both internally and externally.

Non-res WAS obnoxious (for longer periods than 10mins in daily driving) both internally and I probably externally. It was fun 'blatting' around in underground car parks at low speed, but ear-bleeding on motorway trips. The issue is that the Octavias (and I presume Skodas in general) tend to have a lot less sound-deadening than other VAG marques, so the increase in NVH is much steeper when swapping exhausts.

I hope you'll be pleased with the new setup, it literally changed the character of my car overnight (and in a good way... after I'd got the resonated version 😅)

Wow thanks for the quick reply, was a bit dubious 🤣

Yeah i went for the cat back resonated, I just know if I went Non-res it would drive me up the wall 😑 ( I get the attraction though ) I have a stage 1 tune so hopefully will go hand in hand. Doesn't help my partners TT has a nice exhaust. 

In the near future I will defiantly be looking at getting the down pipe

You're lucky - first time I've been back on here in about 2-3 weeks 😉 (plus it pinged me an email, which helps).

Sounds like a great setup. I've always rated Scorpion for their quality, support, information and consistency in service. The downpipe is an excellent addition - maybe minor gains in noise and performance, but it 'feels' better than 'not having it' (as it would always in the back of my mind otherwise)!

I'm same - Pre-FL 230 with Stage 1 tune from RacingLine + mods (see my silly signature below), and the exhaust made me fall more in love with the car's setup.

Best of luck with fitment and the final outcome! Let us know what you think and how you find it. Will take a bit of time to bed-in (e.g. 1000 miles or so?), but it's absolutely excellent IMHO 😍

9 hours ago, Ads230 said:

You're lucky - first time I've been back on here in about 2-3 weeks 😉 (plus it pinged me an email, which helps).

Sounds like a great setup. I've always rated Scorpion for their quality, support, information and consistency in service. The downpipe is an excellent addition - maybe minor gains in noise and performance, but it 'feels' better than 'not having it' (as it would always in the back of my mind otherwise)!

I'm same - Pre-FL 230 with Stage 1 tune from RacingLine + mods (see my silly signature below), and the exhaust made me fall more in love with the car's setup.

Best of luck with fitment and the final outcome! Let us know what you think and how you find it. Will take a bit of time to bed-in (e.g. 1000 miles or so?), but it's absolutely excellent IMHO 😍

Thats good 👍 its getting fitted straight away so as soon as its on I'll post some videos! 

Been contemplating getting the r600 induction kit aswell but after trolling through the web I have decided against 🤣 I may just put a panel filter in there instead as a lot of people say the OEM air box is pretty solid up to 400hp! Takes me such a long time to choose stuff I'm so fussy 🙈

• Like 2

I threw some videos up long ago, but can no longer find them now. Did some comparison between the external & internal non-res noise (which makes my ears ache remembering a long return drive up to Birmingham from Brighton), and also a resonated video too.

However, either way, sound quality was reliant on iPhone 7 and was not that good at all.

Better vids are present on the Youtubes, and TBH there's only so much difference new pipes can make to the sound of an EA888 output. Look forward to you getting vids up though, @hazzaardous

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Looks good, are you happy with it

Yeah i am! Massive difference. Its what the car needed! The stock exhaust is just so bad. Gives it a lovely tone and because resonated, no drone at all. The exhaust itself is really good quality and then mechanic was really impressed with it 

How is the new exhaust note?

Im getting close to a Stage 1 map, but need some sound to go with it.

Actually test drive a Superb 280 the other day, goes well, but silent!

Felt more at home in the 230, just needs a bit more power and volume.

One thing in later life that bothers me about exhausts is there's no post welding surface treatment.  

The annealing colours you see around welds seems to be liked by people, but the reality is that it's actually oxidisation that stops the natural passivation of stainless steel and hugely increases corrosion.

The inside is more difficult to do cheaply but they could at least wire brush the outside, that's just laziness.

This comment applies to pretty much all of them, not this brand specifically. 

On 10/07/2020 at 15:52, chris.100 said:

How is the new exhaust note?

Im getting close to a Stage 1 map, but need some sound to go with it.

Actually test drive a Superb 280 the other day, goes well, but silent!

Felt more at home in the 230, just needs a bit more power and volume.

Tbh the 230 is much more enjoyable, I think the 280 superb has the same internals as the s3, golf r's but with a stage 1 the vrs is more than capable at keeping up or if not quicker