Fabia Tyres - Odd Size?

Wowbobwow

For years, tyres were easy for me.

Golf VII - Michelin Crossclimate

Octavia vRS Mk2- Michelin Pilot Spot 4

Octavia vRS Mk1 - Michelin Pilot Sport 3

Felicia - Whatever was black and round

So I usually just pick the best Michelin I can afford, excluding my first beauty of a car.

After a healthy few hours of internet scouring and finally making myself a Biskoda account (serial lurker) I’ve driven myself round the bend slightly looking at tyres for my newest car - a 1.4 tdi Fabia III SE L (picked instead of a Mk3 vRs due to a nasty accident in the Golf which has doomed me to incredibly high insurance).

I’ve already had a great recommendation on my previous post in the Fabia III forum, but thought I’d ask in the tyre section to see what others are runnng.

The 215/45 R16 tyre selection seems outrageously expensive and restricted to very little choice. I have no intention of skimping out here, but would appreciate some advice on potential choices, or even if other sizes may be suitable.

Edited by Wowbobwow
Awful spelling

There is no point changing size unless you change to smaller wheels

Generally very cheap tyres are poor quality, you won’t notice pottering to supermarket on a dry day.  But the day you need to slam the anchors on in a rainstorm might just be difference from stopping safely or ending up in a nasty accident.

You don’t need to be buying £150 tyres, but a good upper middle or lower premium tyre should be available for £75-90.   These might even save you fuel or last half as long again so whole life cost may be less than poor cheap tyres.

A good punt might be new Falken EuroAllSeason AS210 (not older AS200) 

For the UK climate summer tyres used all year are not a good idea (although most cars still come with them)

• 7 months later...
On 28/12/2018 at 20:23, Rustynuts said:

Then go to Tyreleader...

Then go to mytyres ebay outlet and get  8% off with their multibuy offer OR better yet wait until ebay have a 20% off discount code as mytyres are always a participating retailer ;)

Edited by penguin17

We've just got a Fabia 3.  As with the Superb Sportline (235/40 R19) the tyre choices are limited and/or relatively expensive. 

Once we get 'summer' out the way I'll be swapping ours to either Vredestein Quatrac 5's or GY Vector 4 Seasons. 

1 hour ago, BuzzBravado said:

Just to add..... 215/45/16 does seem very limited in choice and stupidly expensive. I've had 17's and 18's that are cheaper brand for brand. Seems stupid of Skoda to go for a rare size like that. 

It seems to be a VW group thing to pick obscure sizes, my Seat Arona came with 215/45 R18

Even less choice than the 16 inch rim version on yours

215/45 R 16 really are not limited or expensive.

Mk2 Fabia only had 205 wide when Polo , Ibiza, A!'s were 215/40 R 17's and some 16" were 215 as well.

The All New 3rd Generation Fabia was nothing of the sort, no new Type Approval and a suspension tweak and they wanted a wider look and a better ride and it fooled 

Journalists and testers.  Wider track, no wider tyres, wider body, no front arches, wider door handles and a tornado line.

Screenshot 2019-08-13 at 15.44.28.png

Screenshot 2019-08-13 at 15.44.54.png

Screenshot 2019-08-13 at 15.45.09.png

On 14/08/2019 at 08:52, Roottootemoot said:

I am a tight Scottish person

As am I, and I see it as the 45s being expensive; more so when I can get purchase, fitting, balance and disposal of 55s for less than the site price of the same make, size and model but as a 45.

• Like 1

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

If someone wants to go to a 205 with more sidewall as were on Mk2 Fabia rather than the 215's that Skoda went to with Mk3's for the Stylee sporty look then 

they can fill their boots and not empty their pockets so much.

Odd that people don't look at what cars have before buying them....

Edited by Roottootemoot

I drive a SEAT Toledo (Rapid clone) that came with 17" wheels. Come last winter I wanted something more winter friendly, luckily the car came with a 15" factory spare -  185/60 R15 is the size. I purchased a set of 4 alloys found on an auction site from an authorised dealer (priced realistically) and fitted CrossClimate tyres. I would suggest you research this size, there is a wide choice of tyres at realistic prices. Of course you will need to find the wheels, it's a challange but given time something will become available! The Rapid / Toledo also comes with a 16" size wheel too!