Swapping factory-fitted tyres before delivery

Has anyone had any success persuading their supplying dealer to swap the factory-fitted tyres for something better, and just pay any cost difference (since the dealer should be able to refit them as new replacement tyres)?

Would really not like P7s (noisy, useless in winter) again, and would really prefer an all-season tyre after last winter's snow -- but Murphy's Law says they won't be available in 235/45 R18...

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92873/all-season-tyre-test-20182019-results-by-category

I believe even with just 1 mile on the clock they are considered "used" from a legal point of view so a dealer would only be able to sell them as such, not new, and understandably at a much lower price than a new set. At least that was the case here in Sweden when I had discussed this with a dealer a while ago.

Not saying what you're asking is not possible, just that the price difference would probably be bigger than you expect and might make the option of swapping them and selling the P7's privately a better alternative.

One word on the all-seasons though, they are exactly what the name suggests: an all season/conditions compromise. Worse in the dry and the wet than summers, worse in the cold (below 7C) and ice/snow than winters. I would not consider them on a new, relatively expensive car.

• Like 1

Stacks of options when you get a new car but you do not even get to know what tyres are in the standard spec let alone having any options. Choice of tyre has to be more important than choice of upholstery surely?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

I believe even with just 1 mile on the clock they are considered "used" from a legal point of view so a dealer would only be able to sell them as such, not new, and understandably at a much lower price than a new set. At least that was the case here in Sweden when I had discussed this with a dealer a while ago.

Not saying what you're asking is not possible, just that the price difference would probably be bigger than you expect and might make the option of swapping them and selling the P7's privately a better alternative.

One word on the all-seasons though, they are exactly what the name suggests: an all season/conditions compromise. Worse in the dry and the wet than summers, worse in the cold (below 7C) and ice/snow than winters. I would not consider them on a new, relatively expensive car.

An interesting issue from the legal point of view -- so why doesn't a new car also count as "used", it's been driven the same number of miles as the tyres? If this is also the case in the UK then swapping and selling the OEM tyres privately is the only option.

The new all-season tyres (Continental, Michelin, Goodyear) are a big advance over the older ones; the degradation over summer tyres in the dry and wet is now pretty small in exchange for a huge improvement in cold/snow, where they're almost (but not quite) as good as winter tyres.

Yes they're a compromise, but one that many people now think is worth taking, especially compared to having a second set of wheels with winter tyres which just doesn't make sense for the UK climate (but does in Sweden). Summer tyres are really hopeless in the snow...

Edited by IanJD
  • Like 2

@IanJD   Best ask the Dealership you are dealing with what they will do for you.

Some are helpful and some less so and maybe if you cross their palm with silver it makes a difference.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/457681-petrol-vrs-dsg-twitchy-on-the-motorway

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/457224-specific-vrs-noise-v-tyre-question

Edited by Skoffski

22 minutes ago, IanJD said:

An interesting issue from the legal point of view -- so why doesn't a new car also count as "used", it's been driven the same number of miles as the tyres? If this is also the case in the UK then swapping and selling the OEM tyres privately is the only option.

The new all-season tyres (Continental, Michelin, Goodyear) are a big advance over the older ones; the degradation over summer tyres in the dry and wet is now pretty small in exchange for a huge improvement in cold/snow, where they're almost (but not quite) as good as winter tyres.

Yes they're a compromise, but one that many people now think is worth taking, especially compared to having a second set of wheels with winter tyres which just doesn't make sense for the UK climate (but does in Sweden).

Well, legislation I suppose? A vehicle is not legally considered used due to the delivery mileage (be it 1, or 10 or 100 miles) but due to it being registered. But as I said I only quoted what a Swedish salesman told me when I had asked a similar question, maybe UK is different in what the tires are considered and what dealers choose to do with them.

In the south of Sweden where I'm based, "budget" cars or cars which are not meant/needed to be driven to their absolute potential so to speak are actually more probable to just stick to winter tires all year round than all-seasons. This gives the best performance in winter when safety is more of a concern and harder to judge whereas reduced braking, cornering and traction in summer are not an issue since they are under-driven. The wear is also nowhere near as high you'd expect, I've seen cars (used almost exclusively for calm commuting) with 3 full years on winters and around 8K miles p.y. with 3-4mm of tread still there.

Edited by newbie69

Tyres fitted to rims and then removed are 'Take offs', so always going to be considered as used or should be.

If a Dealership or anyone takes Wheels & Tyres from one New Delivered vehicles and changes those with another New Delivered vehicle there is a difference in that the tyres are not being removed from the rims.

Some might do that to suit the Dealerships needs and wants but might well say to a customer 'no can do'.

1 hour ago, Richard46 said:

Stacks of options when you get a new car but you do not even get to know what tyres are in the standard spec let alone having any options. Choice of tyre has to be more important than choice of upholstery surely?

You'd think so, but AFAIK no manufacturers offer tyre choice even as an (extra cost) option :-(

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, StuartH165 said:

Don’t forget (at least in the UK) you can factory upgrade to all season tyres on 17” wheels.

Only on the SE, not the L&K -- and may not be possible on the 272ps anyway (bigger brake disks)...

9 hours ago, StuartH165 said:

Don’t forget (at least in the UK) you can factory upgrade to all season tyres on 17” wheels.

The configurator gives a 16" all season tyre as an option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@IanJD   There are manufacturers that offer tyre choices,  ones that sell Pickups like Isuzu. ie BF Goodrich 

& even Skoda offered cars with 'All Season tyres', 

but some thought that meant 'All Weather' Tyres.  

Gets lost in translation sometimes.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/440953-factory-fit-all-season-tyres

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/423163-are-all-weather-tyres-winter-legal-in-eu

Edited by Skoffski

9 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Plenty of all season tyres in 235/45 R18 size

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Search/Size/235-45-18/Season/All-Season

True enough, but the OP was asking about the possibility of a "new-for-new" swap pre-delivery, which would be significantly cheaper than treating the OEM tyres as used when you swap them out. FWIW I've not seen any facility for this, and I'm guessing it would be down to what the dealer can do in each individual case.

If my Superb were mine- and not a lease vehicle- I would quite happily fit Michelin cross climate tyres for UK weather.

The only reason I fit winter tyres is I drive to Austria for skiing each year and have to legally have a full winter tyre.

P7 tyres are IMHO dangerous in the wet

46 minutes ago, Q102 said:

If my Superb were mine- and not a lease vehicle- I would quite happily fit Michelin cross climate tyres for UK weather.

The only reason I fit winter tyres is I drive to Austria for skiing each year and have to legally have a full winter tyre.

P7 tyres are IMHO dangerous in the wet

Michelin CrossClimate are legally certified as winter tyres (snowflake symbol) in Austria and all other European countries -- see https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/buying-guide/ever-heard-about-winter-tyre-regulations

In northern EU countries like Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, and Sweden the snowflake symbol shows they are still legally acceptable but Michelin don't recommend them, maybe because these countries are so cold with so much snow and ice that full winter tyres are a better choice.

The P7s I had were poor in the wet and appalling on snow, Michelin Premacy 4 seem better in the wet (no snow yet). Current car (220ps) is leased, am considering buying next time (272ps) to get more control over things like tyres...

6 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@IanJD,  Have you asked the Sales Executive or the Dealer Principal yet if they can 'quote you happy', and sort you out with tyres to your liking?

Where are you taking your car and is it Full Winters you need occasionally or just All Weathers?

Not yet, but I will shortly.

All weathers like CrossClimate+ would suit me -- most driving is in the UK but they'd also be fine for occasional winter jaunts abroad, assuming we can get through border control after March 29th ;-)

Mainly I want to avoid horrors like last winter which showed that Pirelli P7 have less grip in the snow and ice than a teatray...

Shock as a Summer tyre has low grip on snow and ice... Whilst the P7 isn't fantastic, I don't think other summer tyres fare well in similar circumstances either.

Do you live somewhere remote where considerable snow/ice exists (for UK) regularly during winter? If so, I'd probably switch for Winter tyres and ask for the P7s to keep for spring/summer. All seasons are a compromise; worse than winters on snow/ice and worse than a summer tyre when dry or wet and above cold temps.

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1