2015, 1.6 diesel glow plugs - how to change.

Guys, newbie here, can anyone help with how to change No 3 cylinder glow plug on a 2015 1.6 diesel please.

I had the EML come on and when the fault codes were checked, it turned up No 3 glow plug faulty.  

So I went to change all 4 today, and while 1, 2 and 4 were straight forward (pull the connectors off and unscrew the glow plug with a socket, No 3 appears to have a different connector than the other 3  and I can't figure out how to remove it.  I've go the top connector off, but there's a another on the top of the plug which has a hex, but when I tried to undo it with a socket, the socket just span on it.  Is there a trick I'm missing?

Many thanks, in advance, for any help.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VAGGAZ said:

You need a different glow plug! I believe that cylinder 3 plug also reads cylinder pressure so it is not a standard glow plug

Any idea how to remove it?  Surprised my local factor didn't know about this - they're usually pretty good.

2 minutes ago, VAGGAZ said:

Should be like a 12mm socket? Cant remember but a socket will go over the connector

Hmmm, tried that, but the hex "nut" is only thin tin, so the socket spins on it.

• 1 year later...

Buy a 12mm glow plug removal tool and carefully undo. When tightening use a torque wrench and tighten to 15nm. Any more and you risk damaging the sensor. Also only replace with genuine plugs as I had mine go and fitted ngk plugs plus a genuine sensor plug. All went again so I fitted genuine Skoda pligs and not had an issue since.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi all. Does the no 3 plug lead remove like the rest, IE just pulling. 

I've read there is tabs to squeeze ? 

I've been putting this off until I know exactly how no 3 comes out. Heard horror stories of plugs breaking in the head 

2 hours ago, willw said:

Hi all. Does the no 3 plug lead remove like the rest, IE just pulling. 

I've read there is tabs to squeeze ? 

I've been putting this off until I know exactly how no 3 comes out. Heard horror stories of plugs breaking in the head 

You simply unplug the harness, which pulls off easier with a hook or bent nose pliers. Then it simply unscrews. Don't be too scares of undoing the plug but use smooth motion with the wrench when undoing it. When fitting just torque it to 12nm. If you don't have a torque wrench, basically as soon as it won't go any further down; a very very tiny pull on the ratchet and you will be somewhere there. The others glowplugs are are 17nm to torque.

18 minutes ago, willw said:

Are you sure, this is the pressure sensor plug I'm referring to in cylinder 3. It's a superb V3 1.6tdi CR.

It is the same part number so the same glow plug. They are easy to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately there is a clip on the sensor plug lead which is impossible to see. The clip would be at the end of the lead and almost impossible to get at to squeeze the tabs when the plug is in situ. When I pulled the lead off as gently as I could the contact on the lead snapped off leaving the rest of the contact still on the plug ! I was able to remove the rest of the contact with long nose pliers from the plug. Luckily some strong glue and insulation tape repaired the contact lead. So beware the sensor plug lead has a push on clip and cannot simply be pulled to remove.

So - yes, number 3 plug has a special monitoring circuits in it - and is usually the first glow plug to fail.  However, I would add that if one has failed, you need to replace all 4.  VAG charge silly money for all of the glow plugs, but try and put it into context that these are genuine parts and you won't have to touch them again for another 100k miles.

• Thanks 1

Yes I had no.4 open circuit but as you said I replaced them all at 136000. Just so annoyed the no.3 connection broke. As I said in my post I glued it together and it seems to click on and hold ok but when driving today after clearing all the stored codes I got open circuit cylinder 3 (the sensor circuit). Gonna wait to see if it's a glitch before taking a hammer to my scotom.

I have the 10 and 12mm long glow plug sockets. Bought them for this job. No issues removing the actual plugs, warm engine and WD40. Surprising amount of rust on the threads. Ceramic grease went on the new ones. Been working on my own cars for 30 years. Only light stuff now due to old age pains 🤪 Hopefully other members will find this info useful and your link for the removal tool which is a 10mm. Remember the sensor plug is a 12mm.

• Like 1