Dpf problems?

Hi. Can anyone help me please?! I have a 60 plate octy vrs tdi estate and a few months ago I had to have a new turbo fitted ( recon) and a few weeks later I noticed a few puffs of blue smoke again but only seems to do it in 3rd gear at about 20/25mph, the same garage that did the turbo think that it’s the injectors but I’m doubtful as the car runs spot on apart from the blue smoke! Now today somebody said to me if your doing shorter journeys then it could be your dpf that’s getting blocked as I only do around 120 miles a week and most of the time the most I do in one hit is around 7 miles. If anyone has or has had the same issue and knows what it could be I would be grateful. Thanks

If the DPF reaches a certain level of contained soot, and your driving style isn't enough to keep the DPF hot for long enough to perform a regeneration (to burn off all the soot), then you'll get a warning light on the dash.

Assuming you don't have the warning light then I doubt it's the DPF.

What was the failure mode of the turbo? If it was leaking oil for some time prior to failure, then there could still be an amount of residue oil left in the DPF, or the exhaust system which is being burnt off - and you see the smoke?

I doubt it is the injectors, unburnt diesel fuel would surely result in white smoke, not blue?

No I don’t have the dpf light on the dash so yeah actually your prob mate to be honest. When they changed the turbo all the intercooler pipes were clogged with oil and he mentioned something about diesel fuel being in the oil as well?

If your not doing the mileage to regen it could be trying multiple times before it manages to get the soot level down. Obviously the car is managing as you haven't had the warning light on but it can still lead to excessive amounts of diesel in the oil which isn't good

Forgot to mention that I also have a rising oil level since the turbo was changed so it went back to the garage and they drained a litre of oil and now the oil level is around 2-3mm above the max again so I rang up the garage a while ago and he said poss injector leak as it sounds like fuel getting into the sump?

Diesel doesn't lubricate as well as oil so if you have too much fuel in the oil, it will cause premature wear to various engine components.

If they've had to remove a litre of fluid then you're probably got a 80/20 mix of oil and diesel in your engine which is going to cause you issues. You might want to consider changing the oil and filter even before you've fixed whatever is causing the level to rise...

I had a rising oil level on my vRS, it caused the turbo failure, and also killed the DPF.

My vRS was a PD170 and was part of the horrific VOSA recall where the injectors were replaced. My dealer managed to screw this up, they leaked and the engine and turbo oil was diluted by diesel fuel, resulting in two turbo failures.

On a 60 plate yours is the later CR170 engine, but leaking injectors will have the same result. Proceed carefully here, if your oil level is continuing to rise then you are currently damaging your turbo and DPF as we speak. I've been there, it's not nice.

Don't Google 'Bore Wash'.

Edited by silver1011

Yeah I’ve heard of the horror stories about the dealers and replacing the injector and making a complete **** up of it! My car is currently having its injectors tested so should know tomorrow if there leaking. It has been remapped but the guy that did it has a good reputation so I don’t know it’s that?

• Like 1

So the garage have informed me that my injectors are all ok as are the injector seals. They have now advised me to have the car put back to standard and see if the fuel mixing with the oil stops but they don’t believe it to be the map. I’m really stuck as to know what to do next as I’m on a budget and I know stripping the engine cost a lot

Has your car had the emissions update? If not sure then look at the spare wheel well for an additional small sticker.

Yours is a 60 plate so probably before the intro of the CR engines that prompted the optional software change and the common problem of increasing oil level by mixing with diesel fuel. Do your know your engine code? 

Edited by pikpilot

Have you changed the oil yet? -  Diesel is not a great lubricant and will eventually take out your engine and turbo - consider you have a fuel contamination issue that may have destroyed your original turbo in the first place!

This sounds like lots of failed DPF regens injecting extra diesel on the exhaust stroke some of which can run past the bores(especially when worn) filling up the sump.

It needs to go to a garage that really understands DPF's

REPEAT as mentioned above - Think of your OIL first before you take out another turbo and possibly damage your engine.

PS How long have you had the car?

Edited by bigjohn

Yes they have now changed the oil just waiting for the injectors to be put back in hopefully tomorrow. Do you think by the sounds of it then it needs a good run to properly regen the dpf? I’ve only had the car 18 months so I’m proper annoyed!

I didn’t know u could do that to be honest! Garage have said mayb when I start the car up to leave it ticking over for about 10 mins to warm up not sure if it will help or not?

So picked my car up Friday and they told me to let it warm up before driving of for a good 10 mins and if poss take it for a blast down motorway once a week for around 20 mins, and as they are expecting the oil level to rise they have filled the oil to between the min and max! Watch this space a!

1) Car manufactures say it is better to use the car to warm it up quickly to reduce wear - see your handbook. Long gone are the days of taking 10-20 minutes at tick over although I see this being done in garages.

2) Why are they expecting the oil level to rise? The only way you can see a significant rise in oil level is when diesel fuel is washed down into the oil caused by a) worn injectors or b) failed frequent dpf regens in cars with the emissions fix.

If you did see a rise in oil level then I would send a sample for investigation for diesel contamination to one of the independent companies offering this service. I would also do an oil and filter change following any increase on oil level.

Edited by pikpilot

@Dan13

I can not believe the crap you were told about the 10 minute warm up then about the oil between Min & Max.

?

Can they not just fix the car and have it fit for purpose?

Any reason the correct quantity of oil is not in, then checked stone cold then at Operating Temperature.

?

Why exactly are they expecting the oil level to rise, is the Oil Fairy expected or fuel diluting the oil?

Edited by Skoffski

Thanks for the replies guys. The reason they told me for not filling the oil up is they think either the remap is causing it to rise cos of of fuelling or secondly the shorter journeys I do isn’t letting the dpf regen so I’m gonna go for a blast once a week and see if this helps.  They also tested the injectors and they came back fine

23 hours ago, Dan13 said:

So picked my car up Friday and they told me to let it warm up before driving of for a good 10 mins and if poss take it for a blast down motorway once a week for around 20 mins, and as they are expecting the oil level to rise they have filled the oil to between the min and max! Watch this space a!

Time to find a better / more knowledgeable garage.

Running the engine from cold for 10 minutes is going to do the DPF more harm than good.

"A blast down the motorway" only helps if the DPF is getting full and needs clearing. If this was the case you'd have the DPF warning light on the dash. So more duff advice.

2 hours ago, bradh said:

Get you random pump seal checked as this can leak fuel into the engine also, 

*Tandem :D

Good shout though, not sure how you would diagnose it though without just replacing it.