Engine oil overflow

Raised engine oil levels in modern diesels is often due to incomplete DPF cycling. If the car is switched off while it is undergoing DPF regeneration the fuel injected to burn material off is unused and sinks to the sump. This will be more prevalent in diesels used for many short journeys. Glow plug is unlikely to be connected with this issue - after all - it's a) not part of the oil / fuel circuits and b) it only comes into play to get the engine started from cold.

Eventually the level rises to a point at which the engine starts ingesting it and burning it irrespective of what is being demanded by the throttle pedal.

• Like 1

For the oil level to increase enough to notice through repeated interrupted regenerations of the DPF tends to indicate faults elsewhere.

The most common, or likely reason for increasing oil levels is a leaking injector/s.

Get it fixed quickly. Diluted engine oil will quickly shorten the life of the turbo and DPF, and longer term can result in bore wash.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 3

Thank you all for answering, 

Little update 

One skoda dealer saying that I have overfilled with oil, which I haven't, wouldn't even know where to pour. So rang another garage to take car away from there - another skoda dealer, so they have got my car with them. They are saying broken injector and broken glow plug. And apparently barely any oil!!! So now complaining about first skoda dealer! As why they have accused me with overfilling, and why they are making up about any overfilling oil. 

Now my car is being repaired under trust emission warranty. Because they have done something last year if I remember correctly. 

Skoda rapid 1.6 tdi, diesel 

Thank you once again for all reolys

They are sending sample of oil for investigation, as its "been contaminated" 

Waiting for hear about this too 

I have involved now skoda uk and my finance,coz I think it's really serious matter, as why one garage pointing fingers at me   

I ve been with out a car for over a week now 

Injector is broken, that means some of it might be in cylinder and probably damaged valves too. Who knows. 

It's a very in depth work and I really don't know when will I get my car back 

Was the engine running OK when you took it in? [EDIT] just read your other post so that's no

Have you been doing lots of short journeys - if so then it may be lots of failed active DPF regens that has caused this. During this diesel is injected on the exhaust stroke to fuel the regen but some does run past the bores as it is not burnt in the cylinder especially if the regen is aborted. This causes the oil level to rise and the lubricant properties of the oil degrades. [EDIT - see above] One of the first things to fail can be the turbo I'm afraid - or engine can run away using the sump diesel (usually when rather worn though)

What sort of journeys do you do?

Edited by bigjohn

Skoda / VW UK really need to get a grip with this known issue of diesel in the Oil and this with cars that have had The Fix and Dealership Employees accusing owners / drivers of overfilling the oil.

Especially as often the car has Full Main Dealer Service history and the last oil added was at Main Dealerships in many cases.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/455464-engine-problem-advice

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Was the engine running OK when you took it in? [EDIT] just read your other post so that's no

Have you been doing lots of short journeys - if so then it may be lots of failed active DPF regens that has caused this. During this diesel is injected on the exhaust stroke to fuel the regen but some does run past the bores as it is not burnt in the cylinder especially if the regen is aborted. This causes the oil level to rise and the lubricant properties of the oil degrades. [EDIT - see above] One of the first things to fail can be the turbo I'm afraid.

What sort of journeys do you do?

Every day, I wouldnt say short journeys. But surely we don't buy car depending on the journeys we do. I did take her out on carriageway for long distance, once a month or mby twice. I guess that wasn't enough ((

• Like 1

Skoffski 

Yes, I totally agree with u, I serviced my car only at the skoda dealers, and I don't touch my car, if something is wrong I rush to dealers straight away. 

I am happy that they are actually found problem and trying to repair, but I am worried what will and how will all this react in future of the car? Engine and dpf 

Regards a dealer accusing me I am taking a procedure against them. 

I mean is it actually possible to over fill?? In my case they are saying by 4 ltrs!!? 

Edited by Vixvet

Just now, Vixvet said:

Every day, I wouldnt say short journeys. But surely we don't buy car depending on the journeys we do. I did take her out on carriageway for long distance, once a month or mby twice. I guess that wasn't enough ((

Many people have been attracted to the low car tax and fuel economy but I'm afraid we do have to consider what car we buy. This is a known issue with any diesel fitted with a DPF (all since 2010 , many well before). Low mileage and diesel car fitted with a DPF is not a recommended combination. Some dealers do warn people about this but many don't!

This is why there have been some garages offering DPF deletes - not illegal to do but illegal to drive and now these conversions now failing the new stringent MOT (as of May 2018)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vixvet said:

Skoffski 

Yes, I totally agree with u, I serviced my car only at the skoda dealers, and I don't touch my car, if something is wrong I rush to dealers straight away. 

I am happy that they are actually found problem and trying to repair, but I am worried what will and how will all this react in future of the car? Engine and dpf 

Regards a dealer accusing me I am taking a procedure against them. 

I mean is it actually possible to over fill?? In my case they are saying by 4 ltrs!!? 

As previously mentioned - with diesel. If it's 4 ltrs then I suspect some major damage has been done. With that amount though it does more sound like it was an injector issue. Clearly what the original dealer did was just drain off some oil(+diesel) - they should have changed it as it was contaminated.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

I do understand and I have learnt now, sadly I wasn't informed about this when purchasing a car. Lately dealers just want to sell u a car, rather to find out what is actually best for u. 

Well I do hope that Skoda now will learn too, that all those emission problem it's all down to them, and it's looking to be very costly for them. 

2 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

As previously mentioned - with diesel. If it's 4 ltrs then I suspect some major damage has been done. With that amount though it does more sound like it was an injector issue.

Like I said I don't pour anything myself in to my car, except diesel in petrol station, I ask my other half to fill screenwash)) not even embarrassed)) 

Anyway,lst year I have serviced my var and they have filled 5.3 engine oil in my car, which is 4.3 a max capacity. 

So I am confused a bit as why would they fill tht much, and how is physically possible 

5 minutes ago, Vixvet said:

Like I said I don't pour anything myself in to my car, except diesel in petrol station, I ask my other half to fill screenwash)) not even embarrassed)) 

Anyway,lst year I have serviced my var and they have filled 5.3 engine oil in my car, which is 4.3 a max capacity. 

So I am confused a bit as why would they fill tht much, and how is physically possible 

Sorry , I thought I'd explained. The sump is not being topped up with oil it's being topped up with it's own diesel!

I saw a Zafira diesel self destruct when the engine ran away to max revs burning up diesel and oil that had way overfilled it's sump due to failed DPF regens. Lots of smoke and then bang.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vixvet said:

Now my car is being repaired under trust emission warranty. Because they have done something last year if I remember correctly. 

Your car has been subject the EA189 emissions fix - the big 'dieselgate' scandal that has tarnished Skoda's reputation for years to come.

But, for you this is good news. Skoda has since set up their 'Trust Building Measure', basically a warranty on all fuel and emissions system related components, including the injectors.

As long as the car has covered less than 160,000 miles then all of this hassle is covered under warranty. Take a read here...

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/ea198-trust-building-measure

image.thumb.png.62fd9dfd08552faca0af5d92c134cc50.png

image.png.93b2e6fc04ced1cd2c96bf2a8fbdabf7.png

image.png.e2357657fc800806de37256a86388b89.png

image.png.0b32784e64a75b59538841816af68d66.png

image.png.34ad6054e1039781bb1a62555be9c479.png

image.png.9474fcb0b2702252c37fa7809fbf38c0.png

image.png.e1c925ad56b2a7210fdcd98ba872717d.png

image.png.8afabfe0db74ec517eb9570520b6b2f9.png

image.png.7fda5e401ec86d191c9c5230ef418af5.png

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, silver1011 said:

Your car has been subject the EA189 emissions fix - the big 'dieselgate' scandal that has tarnished Skoda's reputation for years to come.

But, for you this is good news. Skoda has since set up their 'Trust Building Measure', basically a warranty on all fuel and emissions system related components, including the injectors.

As long as the car has covered less than 160,000 miles then all of this hassle is covered under warranty. Take a read here...

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/ea198-trust-building-measure

image.thumb.png.62fd9dfd08552faca0af5d92c134cc50.png

Perfect, will read in a bit. 

Yes, that's what they said under that warranty, 

It's only done less than 40000 miles 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vixvet said:

Perfect, will read in a bit. 

Yes, that's what they said under that warranty, 

It's only done less than 40000 miles 

Indeed :- "The Trust Building Measure covers a total of 11 components within the exhaust gas recirculation system, the fuel injection system and the emissions after treatment system: lambda probe, temperature sensor, EGR changeover valve, exhaust gas recirculation valve, exhaust gas recirculation pressure differential sensor, injector, high pressure pump, fuel rail, pressure control valve, pressure sensor, high pressure pipelines"

Trouble is not sure it wil cover engine or turbo - you might get goodwill though under the circumstances.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Sorry , I thought I'd explained. The sump is not being topped up with oil it's being topped up with it's own diesel!

I saw a Zafira diesel self destruct when the engine ran away to max revs burning up diesel and oil that had way overfilled it's sump due to failed DPF regens. Lots of smoke and then bang.

Ah I see, sorry cars are not my strongest point))) will let my other half know too,he will probably understand what u mean, thank you 

4 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Indeed :- "The Trust Building Measure covers a total of 11 components within the exhaust gas recirculation system, the fuel injection system and the emissions after treatment system: lambda probe, temperature sensor, EGR changeover valve, exhaust gas recirculation valve, exhaust gas recirculation pressure differential sensor, injector, high pressure pump, fuel rail, pressure control valve, pressure sensor, high pressure pipelines"

Trouble is not sure it wil cover engine or turbo - you might get goodwill though under the circumstances.

I have got extended warranty, with third party, I guess it will have to got through them then. Or not? I am sure those things should be covered in warranties.

Do u think it's turbo too?? 

But is it really worth it to repair? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vixvet said:

I have got extended warranty, with third party, I guess it will have to got through them then. Or not? I am sure those things should be covered in warranties.

Do u think it's turbo too?? 

But is it really worth it to repair? 

See what happens re Skoda - might just get sorted

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

See what happens re Skoda - might just get sorted

Will update once any news 

Can ask, what  car make would you suggest for small journeys? 

Would u know how will this affect car in the future? Will it be negative experience for my car going through all this?)) 

• Like 1