DSG OIL CHANGE

Hi I had a DSG oil and filter service done at my Local Skoda Dealer at 30000 miles at a price of £175.00. I watched a few YouTube video's about DSG oil change and I see they take Battery and Battery Tray out to change the Filter but there is no sign of any of the screw's have been disturb or Battery terminals been moved as there is dust and dirt engress and no tool marks to say that they removed both items. Can a Dealer replace a filter without removing Battery Tray? How can I tell if they done this service. I have my Octavia Serviced every year by the dealer as I have PCH Loan on it so if anything went wrong I can go back and say you serviced it. Any Ideas how I know they done the service please?

Agree, it looks like the filter is on top, so challenge them to explain. If they say it can be accessed from underneath, ask for a technician to demonstrate it to you.

Not an Octavia, but presumably same box.

The Skoda workshop manual states to remove air filter housing, battery and battery tray....

I would go back and ask them to show you how they did it. If there’s a shortcut then fair enough but get them to explain it.

Edited by classic

To update my last post, I spotted this in superbdreams guide -

“Spend a moment looking down at the dsg filter cover and come to the conclusion that it should be possible (next time) to replace the filter without removing all this stuff, depends how strong your grip is but I will try that next time.”

If there’s a way of doing it without removing stuff then a mechanic doing these regularly will know it.

2 hours ago, classic said:

“Spend a moment looking down at the dsg filter cover and come to the conclusion that it should be possible (next time) to replace the filter without removing all this stuff, depends how strong your grip is but I will try that next time.”

If there’s a way of doing it without removing stuff then a mechanic doing these regularly will know it.

6 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

I believe you may be able to access it from under the car but not 100%. 

Thank you all for your advise.

• Like 1

Mechanics/Technicians have to follow the prescribed service methods as detailed in the workshop manuals. There are no workarounds for things like this - if there were, then Skoda/VAG would know about it, and would use that as the default method of performing these services - no business is going to recommend a 3hour procedure, if it can be done in 30minutes.

As mentioned above, get the service manager to demonstrate exactly how they managed to perform the service, without removing the battery/tray, as you've indicated.

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:27, CJW1973 said:

Hi I had a DSG oil and filter service done at my Local Skoda Dealer at 30000 miles at a price of £175.00. I watched a few YouTube video's about DSG oil change and I see they take Battery and Battery Tray out to change the Filter but there is no sign of any of the screw's have been disturb or Battery terminals been moved as there is dust and dirt engress and no tool marks to say that they removed both items. Can a Dealer replace a filter without removing Battery Tray? How can I tell if they done this service. I have my Octavia Serviced every year by the dealer as I have PCH Loan on it so if anything went wrong I can go back and say you serviced it. Any Ideas how I know they done the service please?

Hi everyone I had a service yesterday on my car and they sent me a email saying my DSG box is due for a service I phoned them and said its ok I have on another day as didn't have money to do it now. I arrived at Skoda and approached Skoda service manger about this subject and put them on spot saying you sent me email mail saying my DSG box needs a service but showing them a receipt I said I already had it done but there no signs of the filter being change as they there no evidence that Battery and Tray have been removed. The manger went out back then come back 3 minutes latter saying they have a angled tool they can use from under the car and get at filter without out removing Battery and Tray. I said ok I accept that for moment but not happy as still no Idea if the service been done. 

Hi everyone I had a service yesterday on my car and they sent me a email saying my DSG box is due for a service I phoned them and said its ok I have on another day as didn't have money to do it now. I arrived at Skoda and approached Skoda service manger about this subject and put them on spot saying you sent me email mail saying my DSG box needs a service but showing them a receipt I said I already had it done but there no signs of the filter being change as they there no evidence that Battery and Tray have been removed. The manger went out back then come back 3 minutes latter saying they have a angled tool they can use from under the car and get at filter without out removing Battery and Tray. I said ok I accept that for moment but not happy as still no Idea if the service been done. 

Interesting. So they claim that with the "angled tool" there is enough space to take out the filter and put a new one back?

And how they clean the filter surroundings? Maybe they have a angled washing system and a angled camera too... 

I don't think I would accept that unless Skoda is saying that this is a valid method.

6 minutes ago, Petunet said:

Interesting. So they claim that with the "angled tool" there is enough space to take out the filter and put a new one back?

And how they clean the filter surroundings? Maybe they have a angled washing system and a angled camera too... 

I don't think I would accept that unless Skoda is saying that this is a valid method.

They have specially trained techs with unique abilities, here's a shot taken from their training manual

hypermobilefingers.jpg.453bb039e4c72b52ebf88aba922151b2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It just goes to show....... you should ALWAYS insist on any filters that have been replaced, be clearly marked with the date and km/mileage of the car, at the point it was replaced.  It's a basic maintenance procedure used in most industries, but apparently, not common in automotive.
Then there's no question it's been done, when they can point to your new oil/air/cabin filter, with a date clearly marked on it.
And always ask to see the old filters before they discard them.

If we ALL did this when we drop our cars for servicing, it would eventually become a normal accepted practice. And the couple of seconds it takes the mechanic to do so, is NOT enough for a service centre to argue that it's costing them money in labour, to do so.