Lowering Options

AaronRK

Hi 

I'm looking at lowering my vrs but am split on either going the route of AP coilovers or going with the AP spring and shock kit

I really want to get rid of the gap in the wheel arch but am unsure how low you can go with coilovers and it being an easy daily driver without having to worry about hitting the sump or if its even comfortable

Im not after lowering right down to the arches but for a more stylish look as the gap when stock is way too much

I've looked through old threads but cant seem to find a deciding answer to sway me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

I’m on KW V1’s and can just about put my hand between the wheel and arch. 

I’ve not taken any measurements so have no idea how much lower it is, but I don’t not have any issues with speed bumps. I tend to drive over the square ones and have never hit my sump. 

C0F8AF04-D9B5-474D-ABA3-76C6E613EA31.png

Edited by jars

6 minutes ago, jars said:

I’m on KW V1’s and can just about put my hand between the wheel and arch. 

I’ve not taken any measurements so have no idea how much lower it is, but I don’t not have any issues with speed bumps. I tend to drive over the square ones and have never hit my sump. 

C0F8AF04-D9B5-474D-ABA3-76C6E613EA31.png

Looks really smart that mate, well nice

How much lower do you reckon it is from standard if you was to guess, wouldn't the 17" wheels make a difference as well?

10 minutes ago, jars said:

Cheers fella :thumbup:

I dunno, maybe 50/60mm?

A difference, in what way?!

Ah okay a fair drop then, what would i need if i was to buy the coilovers? Just shortened drop links?

Bigger wheels not give a slightly higher ride height?

No need for shortened droplinks. I did replace mine with some HD Meley ones, which are meant to be a little stronger than OEM. 

I did it all at once; wheels, suspension, top mounts, bushes etc so have no idea if the wheels alone have it a higher ride height. :blush

On 18/01/2019 at 18:02, AaronRK said:

Hi 

I'm looking at lowering my vrs but am split on either going the route of AP coilovers or going with the AP spring and shock kit

I really want to get rid of the gap in the wheel arch but am unsure how low you can go with coilovers and it being an easy daily driver without having to worry about hitting the sump or if its even comfortable

Im not after lowering right down to the arches but for a more stylish look as the gap when stock is way too much

I've looked through old threads but cant seem to find a deciding answer to sway me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

I've got the Eibach setup. That's -25mm or so. Probably wouldn't want to go lower. The undertray has scuffed on about 2-3 occasions over 12 years. Speed humps don't bother it. It's more higher than normal kerbs when 1/2 and 1/2 parking and rocks and debris littering minor lanes.

1 hour ago, vindaloo said:

I've got the Eibach setup. That's -25mm or so. Probably wouldn't want to go lower. The undertray has scuffed on about 2-3 occasions over 12 years. Speed humps don't bother it. It's more higher than normal kerbs when 1/2 and 1/2 parking and rocks and debris littering minor lanes.

I’m concidering the -25mm ap shock and spring set up. I like the look of Coilovers but for everyday use they sound impractical. 

Is most of the wheel arch gap gone with the -25mm set up? Any pictures that could help?

39 minutes ago, Damian@DPM said:

Coilovers are only impractical if you go too low with them but just because you have coilovers it doesn't mean you have to max them out.

Damian @ DPM Performance 

Any idea how low you can go without them becoming impractical?

• Sponsor
1 hour ago, AaronRK said:

Any idea how low you can go without them becoming impractical?

Unfortunately it's not a set science and usually different for each person. A lot will be down to what wheels you're running, how often you have a full car, what kind of driving you do and so on.

Damian @ DPM Performance 

26 minutes ago, stevobeavo said:

I had AP's on mine. Was wound down 50/60mm. Scraped a few times up ramps but was fine over speed bumps if taken at a lowish speed. Under tray removed. 2018-12-15_09-21-15.thumb.jpg.18da904a50d1a5b7c975537f89b07658.jpg

That's a cracking finish on that paintwork mate! I'm guessing thats been clayed?

1 hour ago, stevobeavo said:

I had AP's on mine. Was wound down 50/60mm. Scraped a few times up ramps but was fine over speed bumps if taken at a lowish speed. Under tray removed. 2018-12-15_09-21-15.thumb.jpg.18da904a50d1a5b7c975537f89b07658.jpg

Looks smart that mate

Pictures like that make me think just go Coilovers haha

was it the undertray that scraped a few times before you took it off?

are they 17” spiders as well? As if be runnning the standard 16”s

Edited by AaronRK

4 hours ago, Tomjones1995 said:

That's a cracking finish on that paintwork mate! I'm guessing thats been clayed?

Thanks. I did a full correction about 2 years before that picture was taken then washed it's regularly

3 hours ago, AaronRK said:

Looks smart that mate

Pictures like that make me think just go Coilovers haha

was it the undertray that scraped a few times before you took it off?

are they 17” spiders as well? As if be runnning the standard 16”s

Was already off when I bought the car. I've had the undertray scrape even at normal ride height before with a passenger on board. I was taking about the front lip on the bumper scraping lol. 

Yes they are the 17" spiders.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stevobeavo said:

Thanks. I did a full correction about 2 years before that picture was taken then washed it's regularly

Was already off when I bought the car. I've had the undertray scrape even at normal ride height before with a passenger on board. I was taking about the front lip on the bumper scraping lol. 

Yes they are the 17" spiders.

Got ya thanks for your help mate :thumbup:

This is agony, just get the AP coilovers, everyone who's got them loves them, they enable you to prioritise looks over performance or set them higher for a more practical solution, it's your choice once they're fitted because they're fully adjustable.

Get it done then post pics or it didn't happen.

Mines dropped about 80mm, My arb rubbed the driveshafts with puma droplinks so I had to get 160mm droplinks instead. The ride isn't the greatest but i am quite low and I've never hit my sump as it doesn't sit that low on the vRS, only thing I've really rubbed is the subframe and splitter but this rarely happens 

47427984_392643968170007_5895447982296078517_n.jpg

On 26/01/2019 at 20:32, AaronRK said:

You have any pictures of how the car looks on them mate?

I haven't AaronRK I lack the technology I can only tell you how good the suspension feels, if it's looks you're after then sepulchrave is probably correct.