Today we say a final 'goodbye' to Windsor Davies

Macdemon

13 hours ago, Lee01 said:

I thought he was great taking the **** out of British Colonialism. Sadly most people never quite got that.
Oh dear how sad never mind.

Congratulations, Lee01 on using the death of a respected actor to promote your perfidious vile bile agenda. 

Perhaps ColinD should consider bringing in an age restriction before you can comment in forums.

Some people on here have a lot of growing up to do. 

45 minutes ago, Fin69 said:

Congratulations, Lee01 on using the death of a respected actor to promote your perfidious vile bile agenda. 

Perhaps ColinD should consider bringing in an age restriction before you can comment in forums.

Some people on here have a lot of growing up to do. 

Apologies if you feel offended. Was 'It aint half hot, mum' not a dig at Colonialism and Jingoism then? 
Pretty sure it was. 

1 hour ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

What actually is this agenda? I've not been posting much lately, so may have missed something.

Hard to know tbh, youd have to read all 260+ pages of "the thread that shall not be named" to fi nd out...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

So you think there’s a connection between Windsor Davies and Brexit?

Ssssh! You’ll only set Lee off again with another rant. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lee01 said:

Was 'It aint half hot, mum' not a dig at Colonialism and Jingoism then?  

Like  many of British TV comedies of that time it took the Michael out of many things British.  In It ain't half hot mum' Windsor Davies played the part of the only regular soldier in the outfit and he was the bigot, but that was only part of the joke. The writers Jimmy Perry and David Croft based the programme on their own experiences in the army in India.

Previously that had written the very successful  'Dad's army' This was another comedy, which the British took the Michael out of the British through the different characters. Captain Mainwaring was the pompous Bank Manager, Walker was the Spiv etc. I would guess you would view this programme as being anti German?

As a matter of interest how old were you when 'It ain't half hot mum' was broadcast?

6 minutes ago, moley said:

Like  many of British TV comedies of that time it took the Michael out of many things British.  In It ain't half hot mum' Windsor Davies played the part of the only regular soldier in the outfit and he was the bigot, but that was only part of the joke. The writers Jimmy Perry and David Croft based the programme on their own experiences in the army in India.
I'm quite aware of the plot outline but thank you :) 

Previously that had written the very successful  'Dad's army' This was another comedy, which the British took the Michael out of the British through the different characters. Captain Mainwaring was the pompous Bank Manager, Walker was the Spiv etc. I would guess you would view this programme as being anti German?
No, not all. Why would you think I'd think that. Please don't presume you know how I'd view a programme :) 

As a matter of interest how old were you when 'It ain't half hot mum' was broadcast?
 Irrelevant *sigh* 
OK, you are aware that there's such a thing as VHS recordings, DVD recordings and, now we're in the age of the internet, streaming, right?
I can pop a VHS cassette or DVD into my preferred device (see streaming) and lo and behold, I can watch films and television programmes that were made yearsssssss ago.
Clever stuff, eh?  

Shame the remembrance of Windsor Davies has now come to this. He was an actor, acting a part that was written for him, in a fictional show that was aired by the BBC. Please try to remember this. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

So you think there’s a connection between Windsor Davies and Brexit?

I aint goin there...

Anyway..

Windsor Davies, Rest In Peace, another legend of screen passed on to the final awards ceremony.

It was a sitcom of it's age, you can't judge it by today';s standards. Many people who will point the finger at it will never have seen it and didn't grow up at the time.

However it was more nuanced than you think, Michael Bates often cites as a source of many complaints as a white actor 'blacking up' to play an Indian, was praised by many of the Indian community becasue he grew up in India, spoke Hindi and Urdu and correctly adopted the mannerisms of the population he was portraying. He didn't babble in mock Indian but spoke genuine pigeon Urdu and included many jokes just for Urdu speakers. The character often got one over his Empire 'masters' and was not just a put upon native.

Which isn't to say the program is acceptable today, but it wasn't made today it was made 45 years ago.

But to the point Windsor Davies wasn't Sgt Williams, he was an actor playing one of many parts he played in his life. By all accounts he was a good actor and decent chap and it's a shame he has passed on.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 4

I don't think it's the white man blacks his face to play the part that the BBC are worried about showing, I reckon it's the sexual orientation remarks made, especially by the character mentioned.

Nevertheless he was a brilliant actor and I loved the show, it should be shown somewhere on our screens again, RIP Windsor Davies.

• Like 2