Drop links left and right?

So in the last 15 months, I've now been through 3 sets of front ARB drop links. We do have some speed bumps near us but not that many and this is getting rediculous.

I changed 15 months ago, 3 months ago and 2 weeks ago and it's knocking again already. The most recent 2 times it has definitely been the drivers side that has gone and something that's never sat right with me is the fact the drop links and not sided left and right so which means on the drivers side the pick up on the shock connects on the rearmost side and therefore further back than on the passenger side (?). 

This means the angle of the link relative to the shock must be greater on this side and the top ball joint is located with much more angle compared to the other side. You can hopefully see this in the picture below. The ball joint is almost fully pivoted within its range with both sides of the car level on axle stands.

I know the octavia up to 2004 has sided drop links so each side located on the same side of the shock mount (I assume). Does anyone know if these are the same length and this would fit?

I also read on a thread on here that use the correct non sided ones for the 1Z, Lemforder or Meyle HD are recommended. I can't find any Lemforder fronts (ECP only sell rears), but the Meyle HD are available online and claim a 4 year warrenty. So unless anyone has any further info I'll try these out next.

IMG_20190126_094035256.jpg

I'd be more curious to understand how the upper drop link mount has been able to make contact with the wheel arch liner, and wear a hole in it?

Are you sure there aren't bigger suspension problems at play here?

1 hour ago, dangreenwood79 said:

I know the octavia up to 2004 has sided drop links so each side located on the same side of the shock mount (I assume). Does anyone know if these are the same length and this would fit?

I wouldn't expect so. Even if they do fit, the suspension is designed to use non-handed drop links so it may cause other issues. Looking online, the image you posted looks relatively normal so the angle shouldn't be causing any issues. For instance, my drop links are 160k old and going strong...

Might be worth grabbing genuine drop links and checking the rest of the suspension on the off chance something else is causing them to fail. As silver mentioned, that worn through patch on the wheel arch liner is odd.

Are the suspension and shocks stock, has anything been uprated/lowered etc?

8 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I'd be more curious to understand how the upper drop link mount has been able to make contact with the wheel arch liner, and wear a hole in it?

Are you sure there aren't bigger suspension problems at play here?

Hi, thanks for the reply, what you can see is where the material has 'worn' away where I've repeatedly had to use an angle grinder to get the old nut off. A further frustration of the skoda design is that you can't get a nut splitter in there when the nut inevitably corrodes enough resulting in the Allen head in the end of the drop link isn't strong enough and rounds off if you try to use it. 

8 hours ago, langers2k said:

I wouldn't expect so. Even if they do fit, the suspension is designed to use non-handed drop links so it may cause other issues. Looking online, the image you posted looks relatively normal so the angle shouldn't be causing any issues. For instance, my drop links are 160k old and going strong...

Might be worth grabbing genuine drop links and checking the rest of the suspension on the off chance something else is causing them to fail. As silver mentioned, that worn through patch on the wheel arch liner is odd.

Are the suspension and shocks stock, has anything been uprated/lowered etc?

160k, I envy you. 

See above for worn patch reason. 

It's all stock on, I'm 99% sure, the original shocks. Its defo roll bar related as if I drop the link off the noise completely dissapears and when renewed it goes away at least for a while. 

I think I'll offer up the mk1 links from my local factor's as if the same length I'm happy a right handed version mirroring the left side could only be an improvement. 

If not then I'll go the Meyle HD route.

On 27/01/2019 at 06:47, dangreenwood79 said:

I think I'll offer up the mk1 links from my local factor's as if the same length I'm happy a right handed version mirroring the left side could only be an improvement. 

If not then I'll go the Meyle HD route.

Well I got the handed ones and it didn't work, I have to hold my hands up and admit my recollection of the pick up position  on the strut not being quite right and the angle difference on each side is closer to equal than I thought. 

Anyway I got a pair of Meyle HD's off the I tenet for less than £30 and just from look, feel and install they feel much more beefy. Fingers crossed they hold out longer. 

IMG_20190130_113232387.jpg

IMG_20190130_113220581.jpg

• Like 1

I too have gone through a few drop links.

I forget the brands, from local motor factors or eBay. However this last pair were the cheapest at £11 with free postage. Again I don't recall the brand but it wasn't one I'd had before and so far have lasted over a year which is great considering the previous items were knocking within a few weeks/months.

Buy a known quality brand at a price or play roulette with budget items.

Meyle HD links have a 4 yr warranty iirc, they use larger balljoints than OE  and are the dogs boIIox of the droplink world. Highly recommended.

Note use Meyle HD not standard Meyle to get the uprated beefy design!

• 4 months later...
On 31/01/2019 at 20:11, xman said:

Meyle HD links have a 4 yr warranty iirc, they use larger balljoints than OE  and are the dogs boIIox of the droplink world. Highly recommended.

Note use Meyle HD not standard Meyle to get the uprated beefy design!

Has anyone for the part number for links?

Check here:

https://skoda.catalogs-parts.com/#{client:1;page:model;lang:en;region:cz;model:octavia;modification:oct}

If you give more detail on your car, I'm sure someone can be more specific.

FYI, it's not an Allen socket (or a Torx) it's a splined hole. Those other bits will just round it out. Ask me (and the OP) how I know....

This kit has the right size (sorry, i don't know which exact size bit) https://www.toolstation.com/draper-tx-star-hexagon-and-spline-mechanics-bit-set/p66212

Soak it with WD40 for several days before you get to doing the job...

I've just fitted the Meyle ones, and they have flats on the stud base so you're not reliant on a small hard bit in a softer hole 😮

• Thanks 1