Engine takes long time to get up to temperature

It's been doing this for 1 months time or so now, I know it's colder now than it was 1 month ago but it takes a lot longer time for the water temperature to get to correct working temp, I'm guessing the thermostat is starting to give up. How extensive is the work to change it myself? It's a 2014 2.0 TDI 170PS 4x4 Superb Estate.

Yeah, forgot to mention it's a DSG. 

And about how long time/length it takes I haven't thought about it more than on a 2hr trip the stick/meter sometimes doesn't go up to the middle on the instrument cluster and when just doing a Quick stop on a gas station it seems like it loses alot of heat very quickly.

It will almost certainly be a faulty DSG thermostat then.

If you are a DIY'r then search on here for the photo's of the DSG stat, it's located under the air box trunking, so that needs removing first.

Once you've expose the stat with it's rubber connecting pipes, start the engine from cold.

Give it a few minutes to get warm.

Feel the rubber pipe either side of the DSG stat.

If the stat is faulty  the rubber pipe will be warm both in front & behind the stat.

26 minutes ago, PipH said:

It will almost certainly be a faulty DSG thermostat then.

If you are a DIY'r then search on here for the photo's of the DSG stat, it's located under the air box trunking, so that needs removing first.

Once you've expose the stat with it's rubber connecting pipes, start the engine from cold.

Give it a few minutes to get warm.

Feel the rubber pipe either side of the DSG stat.

If the stat is faulty  the rubber pipe will be warm both in front & behind the stat.

Thanks for the info! 

I read about this coolant distribution pipe that could be changed aswell, I'm guessing it's placed in the same spot? And Another dumb question, except removing the air box what should I expect when releasing the rubber hose from the thermostat, will it be pressurised (Spelling) so I'll get sprayed with coolant liquid? Do I have to fill up with red coolant afterwards?

Edited by scootie

If the engine has been running recently there would be warm coolant in there but it shouldn't be under too much pressure. You will need to top up the coolant to replace whatever is lost while replacing the thermostat. One solution here is collect the coolant drained out into a clean container and put it back in when you're finished the job. Otherwise I think it's VAG G13 you need (or a compatible type). A dealer or competent motor factors should be able to advise you here.

You guys sure art.nr 1K0 121 113 A fits Engine code CFGB ? Doing a search on some Swedish stores gives me another thermostat suggestion, I'm guessing that's the normal thermostat and not the DSG one.

vemov15-99-2043_large_0.jpg

Any chance this coolant pipe is involved in the DSG-thermostat change? I mean if it will break in the same instance that I start to change the thermostat.

Not really sure where this pipe sits though, 

Related image

Is it placed where someone has marked FORGRENER? 

20141123_123904692_iOS.jpg

Massive thank you to all of you for all the help! 

Edited by scootie