chip or remap for more torque/power DIESEL 190

mentaliss

On 01/03/2019 at 18:06, linni said:

I remember reading somewhere in this forum, that 190 engine can be remapped to max 220 - 225 HP due to injector limitations.

But do not feel disappointed. Expectations are usually higher.

You will notice the difference when you go back (temporarily) to your original mapping due to service visit for example. And this difference is huge.

Also - most reputable remappers / chippers do ask for their services £400 - 500 at least.

I've been told by mapper ill see 260bhp & 400nm, increase of 70bhp & 80nm, £345.

Said to put at least 500 miles on engine before mapping, I've done 56mile so far! 

I have gone through tons of webpages, but still a question remains:

TD1 flag. Does it come up automatically, when the car is scanned by ODIS or not?

I know that it is by any menas traceable, but just the automatic flagging is not clear.

• 2 weeks later...

225bhp + 70NM   and yes I can now confirm that the remap was successful,  throttle /turbo lag gone.. much smother auto change... I personally would not increase the Bhp behond 225 - 240 not if you still want to retain reasonable fuel economy   ( VIEZU Remapping Services)..... 07739466602

3 hours ago, stuaradr said:

Revo do a map for the 190 which is not listed on their site. 245hp and 515NM. I've been quoted £380.

That torque figure looks way out for the 2.0tsi, are you talking about the 190 diesel engine? 

On 12/02/2019 at 15:50, xman said:

It would be interesting to know if Skoda would instruct a dealer to check an ECUs signature in the case of an engine or gearbox related major warranty claim. I'm sure is easy for them to check. Even restored ECU's will leave telltale evidence.

I have had a very good plug in box on 3 different VWs. Skoda had to go for bodywork after a prang, so box removed in 2 mins and put back afterwards!

On 11/02/2019 at 18:47, Steve101uk said:

I would be concerned of the impact on your car insurance if you have not declared it!

Steve

@MikeFloyd Welcome

What are you saying, you have declared a tuning box but remove it,

or you have possibly invalid insurance other than 3rd party cover with a tuning box not declared?

Anyone can be in an accident, even a not at faulty one and not be in a position to open a bonnet and remove a tuning box before the car is uplifted and maybe examined.

1 hour ago, Skoffski said:

@MikeFloyd Welcome

What are you saying, you have declared a tuning box but remove it,

or you have possibly invalid insurance other than 3rd party cover with a tuning box not declared?

Anyone can be in an accident, even a not at faulty one and not be in a position to open a bonnet and remove a tuning box before the car is uplifted and maybe examined.

It's the second and you are quite right, but it is a small risk I can afford to take. How would one enquire as to the extra insurance cost anonymously? 

42 minutes ago, MikeFloyd said:

How would one enquire as to the extra insurance cost anonymously? 

On many comparison sites you can state what modifications have been added so can do a standard and modified search for premiums. Alternatively just ring up and ask. I’ve done this few times. I find many companies are more willing to offer cover now than when I first had remaps done in 2002. 

On 05/03/2019 at 19:49, linni said:

I have gone through tons of webpages, but still a question remains:

TD1 flag. Does it come up automatically, when the car is scanned by ODIS or not?

I know that it is by any menas traceable, but just the automatic flagging is not clear.

Comes up to the dealer tech, their choice to flag it to VW or not. More often than not they’ll be flagged as TD1 

23 hours ago, Retrac said:

On many comparison sites you can state what modifications have been added so can do a standard and modified search for premiums. Alternatively just ring up and ask. I’ve done this few times. I find many companies are more willing to offer cover now than when I first had remaps done in 2002. 

Many Thanks I had not realized the comparison sites had such options 

• 2 months later...
On 14/02/2019 at 02:43, Markymate said:

Have to agree totally with Jason, try the throttle response box first. I fitted a RaceChip XLR throttle box and completely removed the throttle lag.  Took 5 minutes to fit and doesn't affect the warranty or insurance.

on the scale of 0 (meh) to 10 (life changer) : what was the impact of the XLR ?

On 03/06/2019 at 20:54, chrisluciofg said:

I would rate this as 10 had one on my 190 dsg new car tomorrow (same) will go strait on as mega reduction in lag 

Skoda has two types wire by wire throttle programs: timeline based (you make a hard push, but ECU decides itself what the acceleration should be) and linear one, where the acceleration depends more on throttle position.

You can change the actual settings with VCDS. I tried the linear one for some weeks, but it was too sharp for me. Not 25 years old anymore. Changed back to timeline based one, as Sports mode in RS seems to have linear input and is pretty sharp anyway.

Done 24 000 km now. Will pass the 30 000 km service and then my RS will get 292 horses / 600 Nm. Already purchased OBD device with remap.

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:54, chrisluciofg said:

Definitely a 10. Has made a big impact especially when pulling out onto busy roads.  I sometimes switch off to remind myself how much difference it makes, but not for long!!!

Planned to buy Racechip GTS for my 190tdi. Car is under warranty so don't want to do remaping. I can easily remove tunimg box for regular service.