Front wiper blades move overnight!

TonyLewry

Hi everyone,

I have purchased one of the last Yeti manufactured (Late 2017). 2.0ltr 150 4x4.

I have a strange issue which is really bugging me but local dealerships can't answer it, and searching the internet gives no answers.

I can arrive home, switch everything off (including the wipers), lock the car etc.

Next morning I sometimes find both wipers in the mid windscreen position.

Turning the ignition on does nothing. I have to use the stalk to make them complete a sweep.

The wiper blade stalk has not been knocked on when exiting the car and everything: lights, wiper stalk etc is in the "off" position in the morning.

This happens maybe once or twice a month.

It just drives me nuts!......what is it trying to tell me?

I should also say it has happened once to me during the day in a supermarket carpark.

Please tell me it's not haunted!

33 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Are you knocking the indicator stalk as you get out? That will move the blades to that position.

As Graham says - it's the 'official' way of bringing the arms to the vertical, so that they can be moved away from the screen for washing, without fouling the edge of the bonnet.  However, the movement should be obvious as it immediately follows dipping the stalk, so you're still in (or just outside) the car. 

PS ' Turning the ignition on does nothing. I have to use the stalk to make them complete a sweep'.  Yes, that's the cancellation procedure - ignition on, then dip the stalk again.

PPS ... But remember to put the blades back on the screen first or the arms will scrape across the bonnet edge!

Edited by Brijo

4 minutes ago, Brijo said:

As Graham says - it's the 'official' way of bringing the arms to the vertical, so that they can be moved away from the screen for washing, without fouling the edge of the bonnet.  

Actually its so the wiper blades can be removed and replaced. Called the service position IIRC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xman said:

Actually its so the wiper blades can be removed and replaced. Called the service position IIRC.

I refrained from using that term in case it upset anyone :blush.

Ayone been in Bob's Corner lately? 

Thanks all.

I often sit in the car after turning everything off whilst checking my phone etc. So I know that the wipers don't move after the ignition is switched off.

Also, moving the wiper stalk does nothing after the ignition is turned off. If it was a "part swipe" I would expect it to complete the swipe when the car was next turned on.

The answer regarding the service position looks more promising, but the wipers do not move away from the windscreen at their centre position.

The question is also why a delay of minutes to hours before deciding to move?

It's as if the car is trying to tell me something!

Am I the only one who has experienced this?

34 minutes ago, TonyLewry said:

Thanks all.

I often sit in the car after turning everything off whilst checking my phone etc. So I know that the wipers don't move after the ignition is switched off. CORRECT AND THAT IS NOT WE HAVE SAID THEY DO.

Also, moving the wiper stalk does nothing after the ignition is turned off. If it was a "part swipe" BUT IF YOU HAVE PRESSED THE INDICATOR SWITCH AFTER THE IGNITION IS OFF AND THE KEY REMOVED THEN THEY WILL MOVE TO THE "SERVICE POSITION", AS ABOVE.

I would expect it to complete the swipe when the car was next turned on. NO, THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS ON A YETI.

The answer regarding the service position looks more promising, but the wipers do not move away from the windscreen at their centre position. NO, CORRECT THEY DON'T MOVE AWAY FROM THE SCREEN. WHAT THEY DO IS MOVE TO A VERTICAL POSITION WHILST STILL ON THE SCREEN. THEY CAN THEN BE FOLDED FORWARD SO THAT YOU CAN CHANGE THEM WITHOUT THE ARMS HITTING THE EDGE OF THE BONNET. ALSO USEFUL FOR HOLDING AN ICE COVER ON.

The question is also why a delay of minutes to hours before deciding to move? IS THERE, ARE YOU NOT NOTICING THEM MOVE AS YOU GET OUT OF THE CAR?

It's as if the car is trying to tell me something! :biggrin: COUGH, RTFM. :biggrin:

Am I the only one who has experienced this? ONLY WHEN I DO IT INTENTIONALLY. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies again.

I am going to try something different over the next Month to give you all more info.

The car is parked in view of our CCTV (but unfortunately the wrong way around up to now).

I am going to try to remember to park the opposite way around in future so I can replay the CCTV to see how long after leaving the car the wipers move.

I'll let you all know when I find out if its me getting out of the car or something more spooky!

I remember years ago when a customer brought a Jetta under warranty into the garage saying that the door opened whilst he was driving. I raised a job card for the workshop controller and passed it through.

We didn't have time for verbose descriptions so wrote (typed - we did have computers back then!) "o/s/f door opens of own accord".

Three hours later I had a 'phone call from the w/shop controller telling me that the car had sat outside his office all that time and the door hadn't opened once!

He was a bit of a wag!

Bill :)

On 15/02/2019 at 13:25, TonyLewry said:

Next morning I sometimes find both wipers in the mid windscreen position.

Just to be clear, your use of the word "mid-sweep".

Do you mean halfway up the windscreen, like this...

1945793_Wipers(1).thumb.jpg.c34bff0371b7392de1c4f286310efb66.jpg

Or are they indeed in the 'service position'?

1667708672_Wipers(2).thumb.jpg.e393a2400bd78126ffc417219bb75a49.jpg

• Like 1

Hi

Yes, they are in the "Service" position.

I know it looks like I am being stupid but I'm convinced it is happening sometime after I have left the area of the vehicle.

I am currently parking the car facing one of our CCTV cameras. If it moves I'll have the bugger on recording!

Thanks again for taking the time to send photos

• Like 2

Looks like the pre delivery inspection left the wiper switched to service or snow park position.

Is this a maxi dot selection that needs cancelling?

• Confused 1

For clarity: the wipers move to the service position if, after the ignition is turned off, the stalk is moved to the flick wipe position ie downwards, not upwards to one of the continuous wipe positions.  The stalk returns to its rest position after a flick wipe, so you won't find the stalk out of position after inadvertently knocking it (if that is what's happening - I'm not saying that it is).

On my vehicle at least, the wipers can be put into the Service Position approximately 30 seconds after the key has been removed from the ignition. 

As a process of elimination, you don't have anything hanging from the wiper stalk? I've noticed a trend recently for people to hang keychain style stuffed toys/air freshener from the rear view mirror, air vents, gear stick, wiper and indicator stalks.

Or anything lying on the drivers seat or floor area after you've noted the wipers in the Service Position?