Led/ hid relay

Hi.i know that this topic is familiar to a lot of people f people, but also many people would like to know.

I'm an owner of mk3 2013-2014 with halogen and reflector headlight

Well , after tests ets etc is it 100% safe to install led or hid without the danger of frying bmc or other electric equipment of the car ???? 

Please answer if you are 100% sure.

I found these. One is more simple.one more complex with resistors as I see

Simple

https://www.google.com/search?q=relay+hid+AliExpress+h7&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiayY74xsDgAhXUkBoKHRayCcAQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=relay+hid+AliExpress+h7&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3...7805.8425..8887...0.0..0.274.792.2-3......0....1.7jhcTVObE6I&ei=RSpoXNqSIdShapbkpoAM&bih=695&biw=412&client=ms-unknown&prmd=ivn#imgrc=7iX4UP0KW0ixNM

With resistors or diodes or something 50 watt( sorry I am not an electrician)

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-unknown&ei=HANoXOueC62wgwfA0oCgDA&q=quality+hid+relay+h7+resistors&oq=quality+hid+relay+h7+resistors&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3...9522193.9528353..9528749...0.0..0.417.3170.2-8j2j1......0....1.........33i22i29i30j33i160j33i21.-uT4wf-1i2Y#imgrc=qal6eQJ62YoJIM:

Is any of them 100% safe for my car?

Are  leds safer or hid ??

He says that the light beam is too strong unless you use the proper lens system. Halogen reflectors are designed for that specific output; if you swap the bulb for something that is 10 times brighter you might see better but other drivers will be blinded and might end up crashing into you. Also, it's illegal and your car might end up immobilized by the police. Last but not least, HID or LED have specific needs for heat management; there is a heat sink on OEM systems. I don't think it's a common issue but they might get very hot and melt something. So don't dazzle others and don't set your car on fire please :)

• Like 1

Hi.thanks for the answer BUT...

My question is only if it is safe for the car..

Because..

1. In my country there are not any police or other restrictions.

2. The car at night is the only one. It is an one way  country road without any other cars.

3. About the high temperature. The ballasts will be out of the headlight.not inside.

So please answer me if one of these two relay kits is suitable and 100% safe for the car

Link doesn't work temporary..I ll try later

First you wrote that it has nothing to do with bcm and car's electrics an then you told me not to do it. I suppose it's about the dazzle and the police but there is not neither problem with the first nor the other as I explained

4 minutes ago, haris said:

Link doesn't work temporary..I ll try later

First you wrote that it has nothing to do with bcm and car's electrics an then you told me not to do it. I suppose it's about the dazzle and the police but there is not neither problem with the first nor the other as I explained

Here's an extract from the link:

I bought this HID kit off eBay on October 13th 2008 for my 07 Subaru STI as fog lights HID
the kit worked properly and nothing had happened until last Saturday

It was a cloudy day so I turned on both low beam and fog lights once I started the car. 2 minutes after I started driving, I smelled some kind of burning (smelled like mix of natural gas and BBQ smoke) but I thought it was the truck in front of me.
After another 3 minutes, I arrived at my friend("Doctorchu" on NASIOC and LGT.com)'s apartment. I saw big smoke coming out of my driver's side fender when I got off the car, so I walked to the front of my car and then saw flames coming out from driver's side fog light and side bumper vent.
I ran to my friend's apartment and asked him and his roommates bring out as many water bottles as they can cuz my car is on fire, we used nearly 5 gallons of water to pulled out the fire and here are the result:

I think that's an good example of what can happen...

So not only is there risk to the BCM and electrics but also of setting light to the car...

As already said, DON'T DO IT!!!

• Like 1

Here's another link, more reputable if you will:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/consumer-news/94753/dangers-of-illegal-hid-headlight-conversion-kits-explained

There is an explanation of how the wiring may not take the requirements and how the casing will be damaged by excess heat and UV.

At the end of the day, you will of course do as you wish but I hope you will make a responsible choice.

Also, if it's for driving on deserted roads why not get proper additional lights (Hella and such) as those used in the remote parts of Scandinavia. A forum search will direct you to the relevant threads. Those are far better than any conversion kit.

On the subject of the Subaru guy that set his car on fire: one should not extinguish this type of fire (electrical) with watter, if anything it might make matters worse. Knock on wood but should this happen what must be used is the dry (CO2) extinguisher that is mandatory anyway in cars.

• Like 1

Ok .. but this example doesn't approve anything..  milions of cars using cheap eBay kits or more expensive either on projector or reflector headlights never had problem. Also this guy used relay or just the kit on stock wires?? 

I repeat that my question was about the relay kit. Not generally if it is safe, legal ,nice etc,etc. 

11 hours ago, paulsoava said:

About dazzle I suppose there are other solutions.

1. Retrofit projectors kit

2. I found this led kit which supposed to be similar to halogen due to 360° light. 4 sides LEDs.

Also the Philips ultinon extreme led kit.

I suppose led are more safe for car, for heat issues, for the headlight, for fire issues

Screenshot_20190217-130614.jpg

Screenshot_20190217-130650.jpg

LED’s will be safer in as much they use less power and therefore generate less heat,

however as this is relatively new territory you may fry your BCM (as many Octavia’s did once HID’s were fitted)

many LED’s are also pretty crap with their light output, Novsight are meant to be one of the best... but there are also many Novsight copies on the market which will be equally as crap, you may also have problems physically fitting them inside the headlight.

The safer way (if you genuinely are the only one on the road) would be fitting an LED light bar, as good ones are truly amazing.

I have 3 of these fitted to a truck and when I say they turn night into daylight it is no exaggeration... but they are not cheap*

*Cheap is rarely good and good is rarely cheap.

LEDs need a resistor when used instead of a halogen bulb. Otherwise you get the check bulb error on the dash every time (resistance is how the computer knows bulbs are working or not). The resistors get incredibly hot. Also, you seem to live in Greece so you can't rely on an efficient ambient cooling. If you do this, make sure not to park near dry grass, OK? Other than that, good luck.

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Not if you recode the BCM to tell it that LEDs are fitted.

17 hours ago, paulsoava said:

My mechanic told me that this model hasn't got this option via vcds

1 hour ago, haris said:

My mechanic told me that this model hasn't got this option via vcds

Your mechanic needs to learn more about leuchte programming - ALL the monitored bulbs on a Mark 3 Octavia can have their type changed by changing adaptation channels in the BCM - which can be done with VCDS, OBDEleven, etc.

Edited by PetrolDave

33 minutes ago, KevC_Derby said:

Don’t waste people’s time asking for advice when you have made your mind up, do it and accept what may or may not happen but hope you don’t injure anyone else with this stupidity.

This. Even it we told you it was 100% compatible, was safe, and all the other things you're seeking validation for, only you are responsible for the end result.

If it damages your car, causes an accident or gets you arrested, that is down to you and not anyone that advised you.

First of all I haven't made my mind up and that s why I m still asking and writing to this topic.

Kevin derby you can skip this topic and go to another if it is waste of time for you. For me it is not. Please be more polite.

Finally although I told you that there is not any danger to dazle someone because I am the only driver to a certain road and I clearly asked if relay kits are safe for car and not something else, you keep saying me that is dangerous for other drivers and for me( police imobilization). 

The only important information is that all mk3s have the option for leds and hids. I was told that this option there is only if my headlights have projector. Reflector headlights not

Looks like a few people have been dazzled by the 'ol backyard HID conversion. The truth is LED conversion technology has come a very long way compared to the old HID conversion kits where chinese manufacturers just wrapped a piece of tin around a xenon light and called it a day. I'd recommend following Gizmos advice first and just trying an LED light bar; you can easily conceal them behind the lower grille for a very factory look, and they make a world of difference at night.

If you're still adamant you need to change your headlights, go for an LED conversion kit, these days most of them have a resistor built in. The only issue is getting them to fit in the headlight housing as most of them have a heatsink or fan at the back; make sure you can seal the caps back properly otherwise you'll get moisture in the headlight housing. Don't go for the cheapest and don't go for the ones with LED chips all the way around, they are a very poor design. Go for one which has a Cree or similar chip and is designed to focus the light on the correct part of the reflector - like this one. I tried many many different kits in one of my other cars and found that a good LED kit really isn't a whole lot brighter than halogens but are better colour temperature and you can see more off the side of the road. The beam cutoff is the same if the globe is a good design which means other road users are not dazzled. I drove my car with LEDs for about 2 years, a lot of night driving on country highways, and never got flashed once by other drivers - in fact I always felt the cutoff was more defined than with the standard halogens fitted (but that is really down to headlight design). HOWEVER, be mindful of other road users; if you put the kit in and the beam cutoff looks unusual, or there is a lot of residual light above the cutoff, or it is too high even with adjustment, please don't use them like that because it's very dangerous. Regarding the BCM, your car will be just fine with LEDs - you will probably need to code the globe type with VCDS. HID kits can cause big problems, especially down the track if a wire is damaged or the ballasts get moisture in them.

images (2).jpg

32 minutes ago, haris said:

Disregarding all of what we said.. the cost of bcm if will get fried for any reason( not headlights) .. is just 150 euros? And is just a swap with the old one?

No it's not just a swap, the coding and all the 2000+ adaptation channels will need to be checked/corrected.

Oh and you need to know if you currently have a low, mid or high spec BCM - Skoda don't do a "one size fits all" so they can reduce their costs on lower spec Octavias.