No Throttle Response on startup

GeoffH

I have a 1.5 DSG Karoq.

I wonder if anyone else has had the following intermittent fault.... When engine is cold or below approx 70 degrees, sometime when I start up it starts perfectly, I engage Drive, foot off the brake and I can put the accelerator pedal to the floor and nothing happens at all. This can be embarrassing, to put it politely, when you set off from home and come to a junction or roundabout within about 1/4 of a mile when you stop, wait for a gap in traffic, press the accelerator and nothing happens!

Skoda Assist refreshed the software as has the dealer. It comes up "No fault Found" on the computer. 

I've been told that there's a software update coming in Q2 to fix the famous bunnyhopping issue but this appears to be something different.

• Like 1

Yes I have had a problem in the past bought the car in October and several times out of the blue at a roundabout it fails to pick up, especially when warm and at a junction from stop position...The car has now gone past its 3000 miles and although better than before it is still a worry.. It does not happen often but it could lead to an accident

3 minutes ago, Biggles33 said:

Yes I have had a problem in the past bought the car in October and several times out of the blue at a roundabout it fails to pick up, especially when warm and at a junction from stop position...The car has now gone past its 3000 miles and although better than before it is still a worry.. It does not happen often but it could lead to an accident

Mine seems to happen when it's stone cold or below 70 degrees (engine temp!!) 

I understood VW were aware of this slight engine problem     and a mod was due last Jan... I had complained to Skoda HQ but they said they had not heard about this problem before..  So have been waiting till it just went past to 3000 mile to see if it was better..    It did have a slight problem this afternoon when I had to slow due to traffic in front - then it would not pick up no matter how far down I pressed on the accelerator... I might have been on the wrong gear and did change down but as I had a VRS Octavia before I find it difficult to compare as the VRS was a very fast car.. 

I will monitor closely now..

I have a DSG and not noticed this issue. I think another DSG owner has had something similar. There does seem to be more manual owners with this issue..

I think some folks responding in this thread have the manual version.

It would be good if people on their profile footer described their car better so we can see if it is DSG or Manual.

:-)

I think this fault has been mentioned numerous times in the '1.5 sel first gear' thread. Also reported on the Seat Ateca DSG in the 'honest john' website.

My manual 1.5 has had this problem since new (now 1000 miles). It also occurs in 2nd at low speed (probably worse with manual due to a much bigger 2nd gear than the dsg).

Mine is intermittent with a cold or warm engine. 

It seems to be worse on new (68 reg MY19) cars - possibly a WLTP emissions / particle filter problem?

I'm fairly sure I saw a Carwow video review a couple of months back of the Karoq with Matt Watson showing this phenomenon on the  1.5tsi being reviewed. At a standstill, he floors the throttle and nothing happens for several seconds with typical Matt Watson dry commentary and smile. Mysteriously, the current carwow video no longer has this bit, its seems to have been edited out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

This isn’t the bunnyhop issue suffered by several members. This is complete lack of throttle at times even when trying to move off for the first time.

The lack of throttle response is what I was talking about. Bunnyhop and throttle response are 2 separate issues, but I believe reducing bunnyhop in latest software may have created more problems with throttle response at idling revs.

Others have posted about the same fault as @GeoffH and the DSG.  & Different from the '1.5TSI Manual / DSG issue VW Group are looking at 

OTT,

@xman

There is a Kodiaq vid with Matt Watson using 'launch control' with a 1.4 TSI Kodiaq.  Not seen the Karoq one though.

Edited by Skoffski

Great to see my DSG gearbox performs much better than that Audi that he is driving. I think his issue is engine related again but it does indicate that there are known issues. 

26 minutes ago, Breezy said:

Great to see my DSG gearbox performs much better than that Audi that he is driving. I think his issue is engine related again but it does indicate that there are known issues. 

I’m on my third VAG group DSG vehicle with the DSG Box (Tiguan, Yeti & Karoq) and never had any problems at all with it. 

I agree it must be engine related... possibly the micro switch, if there is one, not telling the ecu the brake pedal has been released and allowing the throttle to activate.

You can tell I’m not technical by my comment.

Edited by GeoffH

Had a few odd throttle response issues (including once as described in original post here)  on the 1.5 tsi SDG Edition Karoq I had for a month ... one of several reasons why  I  quickly swapped back to a 280 tsi Superb. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davey9 said:

what has the dealer said @GeoffH has their tech guy drove the car and seen this issue

He drove it and put it on the computer... no faults found. BUT he said there’s a software update in Quarter 2 which should fix it!! ?? !!

Ok I appreciate many seem to have the bunny hop problem but on my 1.5 DSG I don’t have this..... the main problem with mine is as follows....

Sometimes when I start up first thing in then morning, I put my foot firmly on the brake, press the start button and it fires up straight away. Keep my foot on the brake and shift to Drive. Then when I release the foot brake and press the accelerator pedal, nothing happens at all - it goes to the floor. This can happen twice then I set off fine. It has on three occasions reoccurred if I stop  at a junction within about half a mile.  

As I said before it may be related to the bunny hop problem but seems to be a different issue entirely.