Head unit swap - whats best?

3 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

yes, i blame you!!!!

VC unit with 20k on the clock, i will need your help :)

I did nothing!! Just remember if it’s a used VC then the mileage cannot be corrected at the moment. Just message whenever. Have you gone Columbus this time?

@haris I went back and forth with this a number of times. Even got as far as buying an android unit that turned out not to fit.  Having stumbled accross a cheap screen and glovebox unit (both MIB2) I have taken the decision to go OEM+.  That way all the stock systems will work, I can claw some cash back by selling the original parts and dont have to worry about setting anything up or changing if i decide to sell the car (unlikely).

It is strange the fact that you had problem with Android car DVD installation. I saw a lot of photos with 2-3 different android models from AliExpress which fit 100% . Have a look please if you want at the photos of byers

This was 18 months ago.  I go one for MK2 octy that I didnt realise was different fit.  Once I realise that the android unti would require rerouting the quadlock from the glovebox among other things I made the decision to stick with skoda systems.  The large screen on the android unit looks lovely though.  I will be looking for a bigger screen down the line.

Hi guys,

I bought Kenwood gvn60 [/b] (gvnmib1) for skoda octavia mk3 FL RS Bolero MY 2018, 8 inch. The units is from diler shop in Milano, Italy. The dealer itself and the Kenwood Italia representatives told me that this Kenwood device is suitable for my Bolero. But after the installment, the problems occured. The resolution is very bad, but the main problem is that there is no navigation sound! The service guy tried all the options, the restarting of all sound switches but nothing helped. Did anyone had the same experince? The service guy told me that this is just chinese rubish under Kenwood brand, but sold very expensively. When I see how it works, I am not surprised....
Was someone who had a similar problem tried to recall the device to the dieler?
My Bolero:
20190323-193059.jpg

thanks a lot:)

1 hour ago, skydriver said:

Hi guys,

I bought Kenwood gvn60 [/b] (gvnmib1) for skoda octavia mk3 FL RS Bolero MY 2018, 8 inch. The units is from diler shop in Milano, Italy. The dealer itself and the Kenwood Italia representatives told me that this Kenwood device is suitable for my Bolero. But after the installment, the problems occured. The resolution is very bad, but the main problem is that there is no navigation sound! The service guy tried all the options, the restarting of all sound switches but nothing helped. Did anyone had the same experince? The service guy told me that this is just chinese rubish under Kenwood brand, but sold very expensively. When I see how it works, I am not surprised....
My Bolero:
20190323-193059.jpg

I’ve never heard of a GVN60 being installed in a car with a MIB2. Why did they suggest that when you should have SmartLink already enabled? Then you can take your pic from many excellent navigation apps.

An application needs a cable connection, which makes things difficult, then the phone that supports it. This is the most original solution, for example it works.

23 hours ago, skydriver said:

Hi guys,

My Bolero:
20190323-193059.jpg

This Kenwood unit was designed for after factory navigation being added to early MK3 Octavia with MIB1 Bolero units. MIB1 Bolero has a much smaller screen and half the resolution of the one you have.

The sound issues you have don't sound right though, has sound ever worked with this unit fitted?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 26/03/2019 at 14:43, skydriver said:

Hi guys,

My Bolero:
20190323-193059.jpg

Regarding the problem about GVN MIB1 device installed in Bolero in my Octavia vrs MY 2018: there was no sound of navigation voice and bad resolution, and I got the instructions from importer by the vendor that it is needed to make setup on switches (to turn only the left one, or only the right one, or both at the same time). Everything was tried with no results. Regarding the resolution, they said that my device Bolero doesn’t support the better resolution. It is not true because the Bolero has excellent resolution via google maps from my phone - Android auto. I knew it was a wrong type of Kenwood device and I knew at the end I was misled by Kenwood customer support center before purchasing. I was told that this GVN MIB 1 is adequate for my car, that the device was no longer on sale and that it was probably old stock from the sellers, and that they were developing a new type of device that my Bolero tipe wouldn't supported. Because of thate, I have to hurry to buy, so I went to Marcallo Con Casone near Milano from Slovenia. My Bolero is MIB 2 and this device Kenwood GVN MIB 1 has lower resolution than my Bolero. After a few mails from Italian vendor I got an answer that GVN MIB 1 is not adequate at all for my Octavia because of canton surround system! Canton or dinaudio are not supported. I didn’t accept this and I told them I will press charges. But after all I really didn’t have time or patience to visit the service again, to pull out the device and to damage the car interior plastics. I really wanted to get some of the sum back because that was the easiest way to end this problem. The device currently allows the reverse camera to function, otherwise it would have to have a module. The vendor from Italy accepted this proposal and they payed me back the one third of the total sum for device in the moment of writing this post. Ok, I know I cannot do anything with the resolution, but if it is possible to do something with the sound, please share your experinces, I am gratefull.

I share this anoying situation with my friend. We went together to Italy, we were really excited when we heard for this Kenwood device because it has Garmin maps which are one of the best. We had really nice cooperation with Elettromarket SNC from Marcallo Con Casone in Italy and they really tried to help us. But Kenwood Italy made an error. It is really a pitty that such a beutifull device like Bolero in this car didnt go well with Kenwood. But we need GVN MIB 2 device maybe? Has someone here put Kenwood in Octavia MY 2018 or MY 2019, or MY 2020?

• 6 months later...

@pab567 Hey, could you help me out too? I asked this on other thread too but since you seem to be the right guy, here goes. What is the best screen to have with 5E0 035 864 A central unit? current screen is 5E0 919 605 D amundsen.

Edited by john999boy
Multi quote in error

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, Jo53ohn said:

Hi sasha, 

Looking for some help if I was to buy the attached head unit what coding would I need to get it to work with my octy mk3. Could I use vcds myself? 

Thanks 

Screenshot_20200831-120454_eBay.jpg

@sashagrace