Auto lights

Where is the sensor for auto dipping lights I assume it's in that windscreen block and are there any other chunks that I can get from breakers to swap  and try to fix a headlight assist fault?

Error code reported 4186894 High Beam Assist

Thanks 

Mike

52 minutes ago, TonyD said:

The radar sensor in the front gril also takes part in the HBA function with the windscreen camera

I thought HBA would be activated via light sensors. I have Front Assist and then activated HBA via VCDS, I expect there are owners with HBA who don't  have FA. i think it's a very useful option, it works unobtrusively and 99% accurately when driving on rural dark roads

I also have an error (the actual code escapes me) that cannot be cleared using OBD11. When I turn on highbeams, it just turns on and says "Light assist error".

I have Adaptive cruise control and front assist, both still works well. I think it is only using the light sensor behind the rear view mirror. I suspect that part may need replacement or it has loose cable.

There are some pictures of a light/rain sensor here: 

High Beam Assist uses a camera. You can either have the basic camera like in my SE L that can only do High Beam Assist, or you can have the better one it can do High Beam Assist and also Lane Assist. This means those of us with a standard SE L are pretty much stuck with out of the box camera functionality, whereas those with a VRS can enable HBA free via VCDS/ODBEleven. 

AFAIK the radar has nothing to do with High Beam Assist. If you have a basic radar it can only do Front Assist, if you have the better one it can do Front Assist and also Active Cruise Control.

Edited by uchuff

1 hour ago, TonyD said:

The radar sensor in the front gril also takes part in the HBA function with the windscreen camera

This isn’t the case. HBA does not rely on the radar. I don’t have any radar for either Front Assist or Adaptive Cruise Control but I have HBA. 

• Like 2

HBA is a pain, in that it only needs the very slightest of dirt or frost/ snow and it won't work, it just throws up an error on the VC telling you to clean it. 

When it works it's great, but I've found it to be hit and miss, so most of the time I leave it deactivated. 

Edited by TheWanderer

When I coded HBA via OBDeleven part of the coding included the front sensor as well as the camera. It may be that this is included to switch to low beam when following a car in front which would not activate the light sensor

1 hour ago, TonyD said:

When I coded HBA via OBDeleven part of the coding included the front sensor as well as the camera. It may be that this is included to switch to low beam when following a car in front which would not activate the light sensor

Do you have the coding that you followed?  I activated HBA myself as well and didn’t do anything to radar setting, because I don’t have one. 

HBA works from the sensor on the screen only. The issue i have with mine is water marks from condensation on the inside of the screen affect the operation and sometimes it automatically switches off. Its one of the best features you can enable IMHO. The sweep of the wiper is sufficient to keep it clean on the outside.

• Like 1

This has caused confusion a few times now, as I recall someone telling me that if you had the RLS, you could enable HBA, however unless I'm mistaken, HBA solely relies on the hardware installed in the rear view mirror cluster?

To clear any confusion:

1- Lane assist equipped cars (such as VRS) has a camera behind rear-view mirror. This may require radar (or may not). This configuration can have HBA enabled via VCDS or OBD11 tweak.

2- Other HBA equipped cars only have a light sensor or low resolution camera (aka Basic camera), seen in the thread posted by @uchuff. It does not use radar and cannot have extra functionality enable using VCDS/OBD11.

My car has number 2 configuration. Everything else works as it should, only HBA doesn't.

@Mike1958, which configuration have you got in your car?

ive number one config and dont have radar. its not needed for HBA, you just need a lane assist equipped car ie vRS. 

Radar has nothing to do with HBA at all, period. radar cannot detect headlights/street lights/ tail lights

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

The issue i have with mine is water marks from condensation on the inside of the screen.

I'd get that checked out. There shouldn't be much condensation inside the car, unless you're living in it!

• Haha 1

I have configuration 1, basic camera system, no lane keep assist. But I do have ACC and front assist, both radar based system are working well, HBA doesn't work.

My static error code is B200047 for in High Beam Assist module, "Ctrl. Module Fault"

I also have U112300 static error in Central Electric module, "Databus error value received" Not sure if linked.

Screenshot_2019-03-08-13-56-47.pngScreenshot_2019-03-08-13-57-36.png

Edited by wyx087

On 08/03/2019 at 01:56, Mike1958 said:

Where is the sensor for auto dipping lights I assume it's in that windscreen block and are there any other chunks that I can get from breakers to swap  and try to fix a headlight assist fault?

Error code reported 4186894 High Beam Assist

Thanks 

Mike

Headlight Asisst (HBA) sensor is located on the back of the rear view mirror. it looks like a camera lens. Unfortunately this sensor doesn't come separatly. it is built in with rear view mirror. I had my HBA faulty couple of yeaars ago and luckily got the seller to replace it and again i got this hba faulty few weeks ago..then bought a second hand mirror and replaced it myself. it works for 3days and again it got faulty..it was like pain in the back side.

well, I have the part number of the mirror. in case you need it. you can find a video on youtube how to replace it. if you need more help ask me..thank you.

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:01, automass said:

I have the part number of the mirror. in case you need it. you can find a video on youtube how to replace it. if you need more help ask me..thank you.

Please do post it here, I'd also be interested in fixing this. Many thanks.

if you read this thread you will be beneficial. especially my posts. you will find the part number and the website I bought the part from, DIY video etc.

• Thanks 1

On 09/03/2019 at 23:01, automass said:

Headlight Asisst (HBA) sensor is located on the back of the rear view mirror. it looks like a camera lens. Unfortunately this sensor doesn't come separatly. it is built in with rear view mirror. I had my HBA faulty couple of yeaars ago and luckily got the seller to replace it and again i got this hba faulty few weeks ago..then bought a second hand mirror and replaced it myself. it works for 3days and again it got faulty..it was like pain in the back side.

well, I have the part number of the mirror. in case you need it. you can find a video on youtube how to replace it. if you need more help ask me..thank you.

Now that is a disappointment for me, the car is used as a taxi with a mirror meter fitted. To remove the mirror would now entail breaking the meter seals and then having to get the meter resealed, looks like waiting until the next meter software update (about 18 month away ) before thinking about it again.

7464494_orig.png

BTW yes it was working fine after the meter was installed for over a year so wouldn't think anything to do with the meter itself.

Edited by Mike1958
  • Sad 1

its confusing! when they fit the mirror meter, did they not realise about hba? Is your hba sensor still visible or it is covered with the housing of taxi meter?

Camera is not on the mirror but on the mount of the mirror (square black one). So if they re used the mount and just swapped the mirror (dunno if it is possible) it might still work. Sensor on the mirror itself is for dimming function.

interior-mirror-with-high-beam-assistant

Edited by TonisT

yea, that's right. its not on the mirror main body but it is built in with mirror which means you can not get the sensor separately.

On 08/03/2019 at 11:32, JohnnyType2 said:

HBA works from the sensor on the screen only. The issue i have with mine is water marks from condensation on the inside of the screen affect the operation and sometimes it automatically switches off. Its one of the best features you can enable IMHO. The sweep of the wiper is sufficient to keep it clean on the outside.

I've found you don't get so much condensation if you keep the windows ajar when you're dogging in the park !!!

Like all high performing athletes, hearing the cheering of the crowd drives me on too.

3 hours ago, TonisT said:

Camera is not on the mirror but on the mount of the mirror (square black one). So if they re used the mount and just swapped the mirror (dunno if it is possible) it might still work. Sensor on the mirror itself is for dimming function.

interior-mirror-with-high-beam-assistant                                                                                                   The mirror meter is fitted over the original mirror and the the legal metrology people put tamper proof stickers over the securing system, but as i said worked fine for over a year since the meter was fitted, i suppose i can try cleaning the lens but that's about the limit without having to get the meter resealed again

Edited by Mike1958