Are all Yeti Sat Navs rubbish?

oldmodder

I went along to have a look at a Yeti in my local Skoda dealers, the Sat Nav seems absolute rubbish. Vile colours

no road names it looks like a really early Sat Nav from back in the day......Not for me. Rather have one without

and use my Garmin stick on the screen job.

• Confused 1

Pretty sure mine shows some road names and the colours are perfectly acceptable. The latter is down to personal taste so it's understandable if it's not to your liking.

Personally, I tend to use Waze via Android Auto as the traffic/routing is more current but there's nothing to stop you using your Garmin if you're happy with it :)

My biggest complaint was the distance from the road view, particularly if approaching a complex and unfamiliar roundabout in traffic .  It was nowhere near line-of-sight.

Mine displays road names, acceptable colours etc. Perfectly usable system except that it is not as good as many SmartPhone systems. Like Langers2k I usually use Waze via Android Auto because of better routing and traffic advice. I also have a Garmin system I bought before my latest Yeti with built in Satnav and Android Auto and it is excellent - it’s just easier to use Android Auto with Waze.

4 hours ago, oldmodder said:

I went along to have a look at a Yeti in my local Skoda dealers, the Sat Nav seems absolute rubbish. Vile colours

no road names it looks like a really early Sat Nav from back in the day......Not for me. Rather have one without

and use my Garmin stick on the screen job.

Some detail of the age of Yeti would help.

We have a MY2017, and while a bit "clunky" compared to a modern TomTom it easily took us from Scotland to the south of Italy and return without issue, so depending on age and maps status, it may just be your personal expectations.

It makes the odd mistake but otherwise very pleased with it. Certainly better than the one in the TT that's a year older but much older tech like only 5 digit postcode entry.

Colours are fine.

My Yeti has just gone back to Skoda at the end of the PCH deal and I'd say that on the whole the sat nav worked fairly well except that I noticed in the last few weeks that it was giving me instructions either almost too late or on one occasion definitely too late to react to them as I was well past the junction before it told me that to turn right at approaching junction when I'd already driven straight through! Maybe some sort of a glitch in the system?

Edited by AllanDJ

No problems with mine. (Amundsen2)

Roundabouts and junctions are shown in Maxidot.

Street names (at home & abroad) are shown.

Agree, a few odd 'diversion' suggestions but you soon learn which ones to ignore.

Can't rate better or worse than independent units or mobile phone as I have neither.

If it can direct me to a B&B booking in a French Alpine village, in the dark, it's good enough for me.  SWMBO + paper map would probably have resulted in................(buying a car with a satnav!)

12 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I just wish it would stop displaying two different speed limits at the same time, and that the speed limits shown were actually the same as actually on the road. Many are several years out of date.

Downloading the backdated update sorts it.

But the previous version kept taking me off at junctions and then back on again on A road dual c'ways, rather than driving on through over the flyover! And the road changes etc will be missing?

I just don't understand why it isn't fixed and a new updated map issued as huge numbers of users must be affected.

53 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

But the previous version kept taking me off at junctions and then back on again on A road dual c'ways, rather than driving on through over the flyover!

That's the only thing I have against it, done that 3 or 4 times in 4 years so I now keep it backed off enough to see if that is happening.
Re-routing with the TMS is great and has saved us being stuck for hours on motorway congestion.

Are any VW sat navs any better? If so can they be fitted in a yeti? I've found another one a 2015 Black edition done 32k.

https://www.benedictsofbristol.co.uk/used-skoda-yeti-bristol-somerset-1985495

They also have a 2015 Golf GT Tdi and the Sat Nav looks normal with a nice colour display.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902255280778?fuel-type=Diesel&radius=55&make=VOLKSWAGEN&sort=sponsored&transmission=Manual&maximum-badge-engine-size=2.0&postcode=gu84ag&model=GOLF&advertising-location=at_cars&annual-tax-cars=TO_20&body-type=Estate&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=3&modal=photos

First thing, the Yeti is PQ35 platform and the MK7 Golf (in your link) is MQB platform. The headunits are not interchangeable as they aren't compatible electrically and the physical dimensions have changed.

Anyway, the VW and Skoda satnavs are basically all the same thing with different colour schemes. The Yeti came with with various satnav versions over the years, namely:

- Amundsen (RNS-310)

- Amundsen+ (RNS-315)

- Columbus (RNS-510)

- Amundsen (MIB PQ STD2)

Yes, they really did use basically the same name for three completely different headunits...

That being said, the Yeti you linked has the older RNS-310 or RNS-315 headunit (they look almost identical) which isn't great compared to the later MIB PQ STD2 version. You didn't mention what age the car you looked at was but I'm going to assume it probably had an older headunit fitted.

I suggest you find a slightly newer car with the later Amundsen (MIB PQ STD2) headunit fitted and try that. If I recall correctly, they should be fitted in cars built after around May 2015. These headunits are very similar to the MIB2 headunits found in other newer cars so might be more to your taste. They also get free map updates and support Android Auto/Carplay allowing you to use your phone navigation through the headunit.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2019 at 19:15, kenfowler3966 said:

But the previous version kept taking me off at junctions and then back on again on A road dual c'ways, rather than driving on through over the flyover! And the road changes etc will be missing?

I just don't understand why it isn't fixed and a new updated map issued as huge numbers of users must be affected.

New maps are released yearly, and free of charge. Just download and install!

2 hours ago, enor said:

New maps released twice a year but it's the recent ones that have got the most bugs.

15 hours ago, enor said:

I have and do, but this years has the very annoying dual speed limit bug on A roads, and previous has a stupid bug for dual c'ways not continuing over their junctions, causing all sorts of routing issues, particulalry when you start ignoring it telling you to go to the roundabout and then rejoin the road you were already on, only to find that was the junction to come off at. At one point it took me off a road through a very congested urban area only to rejoint the main road about 5 miles later having wasted about 30 minutes. I can only assume by coming off and rejoining it is a few metres shorter, but I wasn't selecting the shortest trip.

If an update has a fault which by now must be widely known to those who supply and manage it, why on earrth isn't an interim issues