Radio coding

After disconnecting the battery terminals on my Mk1 Fabia the radio has gone blank. A 'SAFE'

message is displayed, and appears to be looking for a code to be input to restart it.

I seem to remember that there is a code card or something with the handbook but cannot find one.

Can you help please?

Thanks

ianmcd

Have you tried cycling the ignition on and off without touching the radio?

Should 'chat' to the cluster to establish its legitimacy, then work normally if it's the factory fitted radio.

• Like 1

On my old Octavia after the battery has been disconnected you get the "safe" message for a while - but if you turn it on and wait after a while it works out it is the correct unit for the car and turns on fully.

Thank you Wino,Big John and KenONeill  i went to the dealer this am who couldn't find my vehicle on his system for some reason, he  said I'd have to remove the radio for them to find the matching code, though the radio is the original unit and the handbook says this shouldn't be necessary. 

I'll try the suggested methods again and see if that wakes it up. failing a result I'll go to original dealer in Aldershot who supplied the vehicle. I don't use it except when traffic detours and delays are being forecast.  

Thanks again,

Ian

Is the dealership going to charge you?

I got a code from eBay for a Seat Toledo that the dealership wanted £40 for £13 supplied the next day

£7.99 -£11.99 for Fabias from the bay depending on serial number

Edited by DEL80Y

When  I manage to contact the dealer I'll find out what they charge for the verbal or mechanical service they provide, Interesting that Ebay are a source for this!

Thanks

Ian

On 18/03/2019 at 19:39, Wino said:

Have you tried cycling the ignition on and off without touching the radio?

Should 'chat' to the cluster to establish its legitimacy, then work normally if it's the factory fitted radio.

You don't mention year of car. Mine is an 04 Model, and anytime  I disconnect battery, radio codes its self without problems.

Have tried that but have given up for a bit other more important bits to sort out, but will keep at it till itv works- or try the dealer route

my car is 2001 Y Reg, been very reliable except for the occasional misfire on No3 picked up by my ELM327 code checker. The misfire was intermittent and  turned out to be a loose HT wire to the plug.

Cheeras 

Ian