SatNav confused about driving on the left/right

Hi

I picked up my new vRS last week and all good after first 500 miles.  One slight issue so far though....

The satnav (standard spec) seems confused about which country I'm in and thinks I'm driving on the right.  For example: showing first exit at a roundabout as the third exit and looking like I should go round the roundabout in an anti-clockwise direction; and, shows the black & red vehicles on no overtaking sign the wrong way round.  Lights are set for driving on the left as they should be and actual directions from SatNav seem OK.  Anybody else experienced this or know if there is a setting somewhere to put it right?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Had the same thing on my car when driving in Europe.  Never did find a cure for this and the Sat Nav was a Dynavin HU.  I just put up with it.  Did wonder later if I put into the local language or or time zone it might have cured the issue. The lights would be ok as they are not controlled by the sat nav and are changed over by the DIS.

Have another fiddle.

• Like 1

When we were in Italy last year in a Fiat 500 hire car, my Garmin sat nav had no issues with navigation wotsoever! Cant be said the same for the driver missing the turnings though. 

• Haha 1

Thanks for the feedback.  I already checked the settings for left/hand right hand drive and it is correctly set.  I do think the SatNav detects and automatically sets this too (it does on my Kodiaq) but I collected the car in Dorset and, since driving home, it hasn't been outside of Essex so there's definitely something not quite right.    :dry:

11 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Shouldn't the car know where it is Via the GPS and alter the Sat Nav accordingly 

Pretty much every Sat Nav system in the world does this. :blink:

22 hours ago, tonyhan said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I already checked the settings for left/hand right hand drive and it is correctly set.  I do think the SatNav detects and automatically sets this too (it does on my Kodiaq) but I collected the car in Dorset and, since driving home, it hasn't been outside of Essex so there's definitely something not quite right.    :dry:

Do you mean a right hand drive car or driving on the right hand side of the road? Scope for some confusion  with the setup there?

I have driven my Mk3 in France and Belgium without changing any settings and the instructions have always been correct. It even displays what the speed limits are for the country as I passed over the border. 

6 hours ago, gregoir said:

Do you mean a right hand drive car or driving on the right hand side of the road? Scope for some confusion  with the setup there?

I'm in the UK and the lights are set for driving on the left.  I'm not aware of any other settings, particularly for the satnav, to specify which side of the road you are driving on - are you?

3 hours ago, moley said:

I have driven my Mk3 in France and Belgium without changing any settings and the instructions have always been correct. It even displays what the speed limits are for the country as I passed over the border. 

Yep, I've done the same in my Kodiaq with virtually identical satnav working exactly as you describe.....   

On 29/03/2019 at 14:33, tonyhan said:

Ahhh, there's the problem. Essex! :D ;)

You seem to forget. TOWIE! 

18 hours ago, tonyhan said:

I'm in the UK and the lights are set for driving on the left.  I'm not aware of any other settings, particularly for the satnav, to specify which side of the road you are driving on - are you?

I seem to think that the phrasing I’ve seen in the menu is traffic on the left or traffic on the right which is confusing, so does this mean that you have to pick that traffic is on the right in UK.

6 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

I seem to think that the phrasing I’ve seen in the menu is traffic on the left or traffic on the right which is confusing, so does this mean that you have to pick that traffic is on the right in UK.

You're right, the choices are 'L-hand traffic' or 'R-hand traffic' and if I switch it to Right hand traffic the in dash display flashes up the message 'Headlight adjustment for driving on the right active'.  All seems pretty clear but is this setting intended to only adjust the headlights or should it also be  adjusting my satnav?   If it is the latter, it doesn't seem to be working.

8 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

You shouldn't need to, it should work it out automatically with the system reading the GPS coordinates. There are settings in the infotainment system, but I can't for the life of me think what they are at the moment.

One that may well have a bearing on it is tourist lighting mode,

1 hour ago, tonyhan said:

You're right, the choices are 'L-hand traffic' or 'R-hand traffic' and if I switch it to Right hand traffic the in dash display flashes up the message 'Headlight adjustment for driving on the right active'.  All seems pretty clear but is this setting intended to only adjust the headlights or should it also be  adjusting my satnav?   If it is the latter, it doesn't seem to be working.

You only need that when you're over in the EU, like when I went to France & Belgium a while ago, I changed the lighting over so that if it rained or I was late back the lights would be in the correct configuration for driving over there.

As soon as I got back to the tunnel terminal and into the loading reservoir I changed them back over for driving in the UK (LH running).

41 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

You only need that when you're over in the EU, like when I went to France & Belgium a while ago, I changed the lighting over so that if it rained or I was late back the lights would be in the correct configuration for driving over there.

As soon as I got back to the tunnel terminal and into the loading reservoir I changed them back over for driving in the UK (LH running).

Yes, of course.  Thanks for that but I don't have an issue with the lights.  My original post/question is not about how or when to adjust the lights it is about the fact that my SatNav is showing directions on screen with graphics illustrating that I am somehow driving on the right - showing that I need to negotiate roundabouts in an anti-clockwise direction, for example. 

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

But there may be a link between the two, so if it's set up RH running rather than LH running it would probably make the difference. 

Yes, that's what I thought originally but the lights were correctly set from when I collected the car and the satnav was still playing up.  However, I have spent some more time playing with it this evening though and switching the lights back and forth a few times and now it is all working correctly!  BUT, I don't know how or why it is fixed because I tried setting the lights for driving on the right and the satnav wasn't affected - ie, it still operated correctly for driving on the left.  

It's very odd but at least it is operating properly for now.

• Like 1

I am amazed that it's possible for this to go wrong. I would have expected the direction to go around roundabouts and which slip roads to use to be encoded in the map data. I don't think it should make a difference, but have you checked that your maps are up to date?
Actually, if you've got a car that's covered by the factory warranty, just take it to any Dealer and make them fix it.

It's not just Skoda sat navs that get confused:

1) in my other car which has an Alpine sat nav it tells me that the wrong lane merges when I come to the end of overtaking sections on the A361.

2) last year Apple Maps lead me on a merry dance round downtown Boston (MA) by telling me "turn left" in the audio directions but showing a turn right symbol on the screen.