The Official Brexit Thread - The Transition Period.

john999boy

Please don't say the EU isn't the land of milk and honey as the Remainers make out but is actually the sugar coated turd

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don’t be too harsh...........there are a lot of concepts lee01 doesn’t quite get,he still thinks the majority voted to stay (twice) a warrior of lost causes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Maybe because every bit of bad news seems to have something to do with Brexit so just returning the bad karma back to you 😀

12 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Please don't say the EU isn't the land of milk and honey as the Remainers make out but is actually the sugar coated sh!t

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with these two comments but considering you've called me 'bitter and nasty' this evening and now you're trying to circumvent the swear filter in contravention to the sites Ts & Cs I can only assume you want that metaphorical gag in your profile pic applying in a non metaphorical way.

3 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with these two comments but considering you've called me 'bitter and nasty' this evening and now you're trying to circumvent the swear filter in contravention to the sites Ts & Cs I can only assume you want that metaphorical gag in your profile pic applying in a non metaphorical way.

First attempt to gag the press today -  forums will have to wait a while longer to be gagged but it's what tinpots do

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

I guess you're about to run to the mods now. I only say it how I see it Lee, sorry if the truth hurts

Edited the post to say turd now so you don't have to be so touchy

Edited by CWARD

Just now, CWARD said:

I guess you're about to run to the mods now. I only say it how I see it Lee, sorry if the truth hurts

As per @john999boy's request from many months ago, I'll report posts if I feel they need reporting. I't's then up to the site moderators which actions to take if any actions are required.
In the past week you have shown 'concern' over a drink problem you seem to think I have for whatever reason and 'concern' over my employment status.
We both know full well that you have no actual concern and were merely trying to get a dig in.
Well, I'll say this here and now. I don't have a drink problem for you to worry about. The beer in Germany is brewed according to the 'Reinheitsgebot' so the beer's fine, thank you. As for my employment. Again, that is nothing that should be of your concern but since you ask I'm still doing a Deutsch Kurs which covers language up to level B2. After that I'll be doing another 'kurs' that covers German politics and much more.
Finally I don't actually *need* a job. It's a choice of mine to work. We are quite comfortable if you get my meaning.

Lee, I'm only showing the same concern as you have over my previous employment. You brought up drinking watching the football but now you mention drink you might be interested in some news more local to you and I'm sure it's brewed to the Reinheitsgebot laws. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51265269

I'm surprised after all the noise you made of moving to Germany for better life, job etc and your still unemployed and with the period of not earning it will take a long while to make up those missing years even with a higher wage. 

Just remember that whilst you post gloating over job losses and saying it's brexit related, your move to Germany to get away from it and be better is also open to the same treatment.

We are very comfortable too and could easily live off my wife's earnings but I enjoy my work and contribute the same too. Enjoy your studies.

Edited by CWARD

Maybe it's time for yet another of those reminder posts to ensure everyone stays on the straight and narrow and to put things in context?

The initial stage of Brexit has been done. Whether that's for the good or bad then only time will tell - but it is what it is.

This means it's pretty pointless saying things are bad in Germany, France etc as, for the point of this thread, it's irrelevant. This is only about how the UK is going to fare after leaving the EU.

What I don't want to see is rubbish about football items, personal insults, swear filter circumvention (or even worse, editing one such thing to just replace it with another).

Obviously that only skims the 'off topic/anti rules' surface but basically, if it's not related to the ongoing Brexit saga (in a major way), then don't bother posting.

As I've also said previously, I don't keep an active eye here because I value my sanity, but if I have to, then the things outlined above will be rigorously enforced.

So there you have it. Be good or be gone!

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Does anyone expect anything less from No. 10 these days? 

The emperor of Brexit really doesn't want anyone to know the true state of his wardrobe. Have to give credit to the press for walking out en-mass I suspect the plan was they would act like the American press.  Of course it will take a while for his supporters to see the light but then again they would have likely voted for Canute and his anti wave rhetoric with the same enthusiasm.

Edited by paulkennedy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Should keep the topic quiet for a while. 

Plenty as we know any deal will be less of a benefit than what we had. 

Given Boris open salvo which I'm sure he thinks will have the EU quaking, it's more likely to focus some businesses. 

From the radio today (BBC R1 lunch news), Canada wouldn't be good. 80% of UK jobs are linked to UK/EU services and finance - which are excluded in Canada's EU deal. 

1 minute ago, paulkennedy said:

The emperor of Brexit really doesn't want anyone to know the true state of his wardrobe. Of course it will take a while for his supporters to see the light but then again they would have likely voted for Canute his anti wave rhetoric with the same enthusiasm

I did read something earlier that because we all know Boris wasn't keen on leaving until that coin toss which he selected his side, perhaps his plan all along is closer integration by public vote? 

After all when it all goes south, and the public demand it, they'll get what they want with a landslide. 

25 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

From the radio today (BBC R1 lunch news), Canada wouldn't be good. 80% of UK jobs are linked to UK/EU services and finance - which are excluded in Canada's EU deal. 

Interesting point on services. They make up ~ 80% of UK economic output. If we want a to get a trade deal with the US things could get tricky.
According to Liam Fox the US will have to negotiate both federally and state by state. Remember that little town in Belgium holding up the show?
This is the Liam Fox who said in February 2019 that he'd have forty trade deals ready to be signed one second after brexit.
Well, where are they? And where's the Russia report we were told we'd see?

1 hour ago, john999boy said:

This means it's pretty pointless saying things are bad in Germany, France etc as, for the point of this thread, it's irrelevant. This is only about how the UK is going to fare after leaving the EU.

With all due respect @john999boy it's not irrelevant as it acts as a comparator to gauge how the UK is faring, or will fare, against similar economies within the EU.  As such it is in fact highly relevant in terms of a performance measure - and exactly what economists and other do when measuring performance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People made their bed and now they have to lay on it.  Unless Boris has health issues they are stuck with him for years.

The Cabinet reshuffle will come. The Budget will come.  The MP's are getting more weeks away from Parliament this year because they had to attend last year.

They forget why that was, and they like to forget that was not them there in Westminster without reward.

If they had to cancel family events for a General Election it was to stay in a job.

So soon the Conservative Supporters and funders will be getting treated generously by the Chancellor. 

The various promised stuff like increased staff in the NHS, Police & education will have to start be seen to be happening.

Currently only a few supposed safe mouthpieces are getting to turn out daily. 

Dominic Raab MP was David Davis's understudy and then got the job to negotiate with the EU and failed badly.

What is happening now is just them killing time again.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

9 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Plenty as we know any deal will be less of a benefit than what we had. 

Given Boris open salvo which I'm sure he thinks will have the EU quaking, it's more likely to focus some businesses. 

Please provide evidence to back up your 80% of uk jobs are linked to U.K./EU services and finance. 
The ONS puts that sector at a third of manufacturing and then there are the many other sectors such as public which are as big as finance. 

Please check out the spreadsheet for employment by sector. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/datasets/employmentbyindustryemp13

11 hours ago, john999boy said:

Maybe it's time for yet another of those reminder posts to ensure everyone stays on the straight and narrow and to put things in context?

The initial stage of Brexit has been done. Whether that's for the good or bad then only time will tell - but it is what it is.

What I don't want to see is rubbish about football items, personal insults, swear filter circumvention (or even worse, editing one such thing to just replace it with another).

Obviously that only skims the 'off topic/anti rules' surface but basically, if it's not related to the ongoing Brexit saga (in a major way), then don't bother posting.

As I've also said previously, I don't keep an active eye here because I value my sanity, but if I have to, then the things outlined above will be rigorously enforced.

So there you have it. Be good or be gone!

I had a little search on this forum for other mentions of the offensive word and no shock it has been used plenty of times by the same person who tagged you in his comment. 
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/search/?&q=Turd&search_and_or=or

Funny how some people want to play victim when it suits them. 

An interesting article of the problems faced by the EU, Brexit and future relations. 
https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-big-problems-in-2020-climate-change-finance-brexit-china-iran/

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CWARD said:

I had a little search on this forum for other mentions of the offensive word and no shock it has been used plenty of times by the same person who tagged you in his comment. 
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/search/?&q=Turd&search_and_or=or

The word you searched for isn't the one you originally used as you know.

Services make up ~ 80% of UK GDP
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/economicoutputandproductivity/output/articles/servicessectoruk/2008to2018

2 hours ago, Lee01 said:

The word you searched for isn't the one you originally used as you know.

Services make up ~ 80% of UK GDP
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/economicoutputandproductivity/output/articles/servicessectoruk/2008to2018

80% of GDP isn’t 80% of employment. 80% of services includes U.K., EU and Worldwide. 

Where is the 80% of jobs that are related to U.K./EU services as quoted by Gadgetman?

If you get satisfaction from running to moderators because I used a naughty word, then fill your boots and get a life a while you’re at it. 

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

Boris Johnson’s push to diverge from key EU regulations in the Brexit trade talks is not as popular among the public as the government assumes, according to polling guru professor John Curtice.

His remarks come after the prime minister outlined his priorities for the imminent negotiations, suggesting on Monday there was “no need” for a free trade treaty to compel the UK to adhere to Brussels’ regulations.

Sir John also suggested Mr Johnson’s decisive election victory did not represent a national endorsement of Brexit. Rather, it showed the Conservatives has successfully united Leave supporters while the Remain vote was “fragmented”. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-trade-deal-brexit-news-eu-public-support-a9316511.html

Deal or no deal?

By Jim Brunsden
February 4, 2020

https%3A%2F%2Fip-ep-ftcom-manual.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com%2F1c4005a8-dd5f-474d-a0d5-94b2c6e8501c?source=ft-email-manual&width=650&fit=scale-down

Michel Barnier walked into a packed European Commission press room yesterday to make Boris Johnson an offer he thinks the prime minister cannot refuse. 

Brussels has put on the table “a highly ambitious trade deal”, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator said, including “zero tariffs and zero quotas on all goods entering our single market of 450m people”.

If the market access is exceptional, so too are the conditions attached. 

Britain would have to stay fully inside the EU’s state-aid regime, applying the same restrictions on subsidies, and do so “in close co-operation” with Brussels. The UK would also need to make legally binding commitments not to roll back protections for workers’ rights, or standards of environmental protection. 

It is possible that EU countries, not least France, will want to toughen these demands further before the bloc’s negotiating mandate is finalised later this month. 

Mr Johnson has already rejected the stipulations. Other parts of Brussels’ vision are also deeply problematic for Britain. 

The EU insists that the European Court of Justice, the arch nemesis of many career Brexiters, must have a major role to play in a future relationship. It would be the final arbiter of any disputes over how to apply European law.

The court’s remit could in practice run deep in various areas of the partnership, giving it a binding say over whether the UK is living up to policy promises it made in exchange for a trade deal.

There are other conditions too. The EU will suspend law enforcement co-operation with Britain if it repeals the Human Rights Act, the British legislation that gives legal effect to the European Convention on Human Rights. 

Getting rid of that legislation is a longstanding goal for the Conservative party, which argues that it makes it too difficult to deport foreign criminals. The party’s 2019 election manifesto was more cautious, saying the government would “update” the law. But Brussels is watching.

Beyond all these difficulties lie other vexed issues, including the EU’s determination to keep access to British fishing waters. 

It is important in any negotiation to show you can walk away, and that is what Mr Johnson attempted to do yesterday in a speech setting out his vision of Britain’s future trading relations with the rest of the world. 

The prime minister presented this in two different ways, and both have Brussels baffled.

Confronting the possibility that negotiations with the EU might fail, he spoke of Britain having the back-up option of a trading relationship with Europe that was “more like Australia’s”.

“There is no substance behind this ‘Australia model’,” said one EU diplomat. Indeed, the limitations of the current arrangements are such that Canberra is seeking to negotiate a far-reaching trade deal with the EU.

Relations between the EU and Australia are governed by a 69-page “framework agreement” setting out aspirations to strengthen co-operation. But despite the fine words the two partners currently trade on basic World Trade Organization terms, adorned by some embellishments such as an agreement on product testing and a deal on wine labelling. 

Mr Johnson also said that trade could be “based on our existing Withdrawal Agreement with the EU”. Diplomats in Brussels pointed out that this could have made sense in the Theresa May era, given that her Brexit deal foresaw the creation of an EU-UK customs union, but that it is nonsense now. 

The Brexit treaty that Mr Johnson agreed with Brussels has little to say about future trading arrangements, other than provisions to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland by enforcing customs and regulatory checks down the Irish Sea. 

The reality is that a failed EU-UK negotiation would suit no one: it would test the internal unity of the EU27 as frontline countries such as Ireland and the Netherlands prepared to bear the brunt of the economic damage; in the UK, companies would be left facing a cliff edge when the country leaves the EU’s single market and customs union at the end of this year.

But there is plenty to argue about between now and then. 

• john999boy changed the title to The Official Brexit Thread - The Transition Period.
On 03/02/2020 at 17:09, Lee01 said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-news-journalists-walk-out-no-10-briefing-a9314996.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cummings-spies-on-aides-at-lunch-6mxrvrbhj

Are we there yet?
Nationalism. Check.
Disdain for Human Rights. Check. (TM "UK must leave ECHR")
Identification of enemies/ scapegoats. Check. 
Rampant sexism. Check. 
Controlled mass media. Check.
Obsession with National security. Check.
Corporate power is protected. Pretty sure that's a check.
Disdain for intellectuals and the arts. Check. (We've had enough of experts) 
Obsession with crime and punishment. Check.
Rampant cronyism and corruption. Check.
Fraudulent elections. Check.
https://ratical.org/ratville/CAH/fasci14chars.html

The you must pay your own food drink coffee is pretty standard in public procurements.

Living in Germany I thought you’d be used to this Lee. Buy a public servant or staff a coffee during or leading up to a procurement (which is a long process) and there is trouble.

3 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

The you must pay your own food drink coffee is pretty standard in public procurements.

Living in Germany I thought you’d be used to this Lee. Buy a public servant or staff a coffee during or leading up to a procurement (which is a long process) and there is trouble.

It's also very prevalent in the public sector as to do otherwise can be interpreted as bribery and corruption.  So paying your own way is EXACTLY the correct thing to do for all.