Alloy Wheel damage (19" Extreme)

Be gentle - what am I looking at to get this repaired?

I believe this kind of repair will involve the wheel having a stay somewhere - anyone know if any good repair centres in the Cambridge/Huntingdon/Peterborough areas?

Damn white van man and his inability to stay on his side of the road whilst taking his phone call.

wheel2.jpg

Edited by Stoofa
  • Sad 2

Cheers for the replies.

Last 4.5 months without getting near a curb then forced to swerve to save the front end of my car.

I've just dropped Pristine Alloys a line to see what they say.

Was looking at the option of buying a new wheel - seems you can buy them for around £225 delivered at skoda-parts, just not sure of what I'd get back from selling mine.

6 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

In my area, a diamond wheel refurb is £200-230 per wheel. I have had my Xtreme’s powder coated silver. £200 for all 4!

:sadsmile: per wheel!?

i had four wheels welded due to deep gouging, sprayed, diamond cut, tyres fitted and balanced and old tyres recycled for £300 all in. A good alloy repair averages around £75 per corner. 

black_geminis2.thumb.jpg.ef3f4d8dc2d5a25fcf1171d9c5894e96.jpg

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

I'm getting some replies to my emails this morning - nearly everyone is quoting me £100+vat

Most are also offering a collect and return service and at least one has said they will even swap my spare onto the car when they arrive :)

£120 I'd rather not have to spend because the damage is rather small, but I've seen what happens to unrepaired alloys - Oh the bubbles!

A chap had his damage repaired for £60 - 

You can see the repair in his pictures on this thread.  Some people advise just to block sand the area back with wet and dry, then apply some lacquer to reduce the visibility of it.  I have similar damage to one of mine so am going to do this as my wife may end up smacking the same wheel again at some point (Front pass side!)

Edited by buaan

1 minute ago, JohnnyType2 said:

you can buy a brand new Xtreme replica for £125, 

Is that a replica from the same factory or just one that looks the same.  If the weight distribution is out it'll throw the car out of wack.  Could be worth it for a spare though.

I personally don't like the idea of a "replica" - if I'm going the new wheel route then I'll get a proper one.

Seems you can get genuine for around £250, from skoda-parts.com

I wonder if mine would sell for £150+ - might be a better option.

I'll have a think over the weekend, but it seems a repair at around £120 is looking favourite.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

:sadsmile: per wheel!?

i had four wheels welded due to deep gouging, sprayed, diamond cut, tyres fitted and balanced and old tyres recycled for £300 all in. A good alloy repair averages around £75 per corner. 

black_geminis2.thumb.jpg.ef3f4d8dc2d5a25fcf1171d9c5894e96.jpg

Yep, stupid money round here, hence I went powder coat. For the extra £300 I would have considered keeping the diamond cut!

2 hours ago, Stoofa said:

I personally don't like the idea of a "replica" - if I'm going the new wheel route then I'll get a proper one.

Seems you can get genuine for around £250, from skoda-parts.com

I wonder if mine would sell for £150+ - might be a better option.

I'll have a think over the weekend, but it seems a repair at around £120 is looking favourite.

Have you spoke with Mike @ RPS for a quote? Usually comes out cheaper than Skoda Parts and other dealer prices for genuine stuff. Decent bloke to deal with too, he's based at Seat Worcester.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=448056052209149

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

they look terrible copies, I would rather source an original or spend £120 fixing original wheel.

I had a little rash on one of mine but was very shallow so flatted it down and polished it then a clear coated it, very hard to tell unless you get down on your hands and knees!

Horton skoda always seem to be one of the cheaper parts suppliers, they have the 19 Extrem in anthracite for £252 and free delivery:

http://www.theskodashop.co.uk/mobile/product/19"_Xtrem_Alloy_-_Grey_5E0601025AHHA7

I spoke with my local dealer when buying the Extrems, they matched (actually £8 cheaper) the price for four wheels and cente caps at £1000. It was easier to do this and pick up at the garage having arranged a fitting time with a local tyre shop, rather than wait for delivery.

I'm still torn at the moment.

Option A - Have company come out, swap my spare onto the car, take away, refurbish, return and swap back onto car.

£120

Option B - Purchase new wheel for around £228 delivered (https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5e0071499ha7-x-trem-aluminium-wheel-skoda-30979.html)

Attempt to find tyre fitter willing to take the tyre from existing wheel and put it on new.

Attempt to sell my wheel with the pictured damage.

All I'd need to do is get £120 for my wheel and it's no more expensive and I've got a new, unrepaired wheel on there. But obviously more of a risk this way as tyre fitters generally seem reluctant to refit tyres they haven't supplied and I still need to sell mine.

On 04/04/2019 at 10:46, JohnnyType2 said:

same weight etc. looks identical and no difference in quality.

How can you tell for sure? :huh:

For weight and looks no doubt it can be fully replicated. 

those replicas just look wrong, the diamond cuts look wider (not buy much but noticeable)  and they go right to lip of rim whereas on an OE rim there's about 3mm of painted rim before tyre.