Karoq software update. Progress report.

JakeB1941

Well as of 1500 hrs today the update for my 1.5 TSI Karoq SE L was installed by my dealer in respect of the 1st and 2nd gear issues. I have driven a home journey of 5.8 miles all of which were in heavy traffic with a journey average mph of 7.2 mph. (Yes I crawled most of the way) Obviously this is a very early and not a very good test of the full scenario but it was a good test of the kangaroo hiding under the bonnet. Do you know he must have escaped because he never showed himself!

So, so far so good! I will report further on my experiences in a couple of weeks.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JakeB1941 said:

Well as of 1500 hrs today the update for my 1.5 TSI Karoq SE L was installed by my dealer in respect of the 1st and 2nd gear issues. I have driven a home journey of 5.8 miles all of which were in heavy traffic with a journey average mph of 7.2 mph. (Yes I crawled most of the way) Obviously this is a very early and not a very good test of the full scenario but it was a good test of the kangaroo hiding under the bonnet. Do you know he must have escaped because he never showed himself!

So, so far so good! I will report further on my experiences in a couple of weeks.  

Was that a manual or dsg, please? I hope the car continues to behave for you.

As he is referring to kangarooing and 1st and 2nd issues rather than just slow speed jerkiness or lack of drive then I'm assuming it's a manual.

3 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

As he is referring to kangarooing and 1st and 2nd issues rather than just slow speed jerkiness or lack of drive then I'm assuming it's a manual.

That was my first assumption too, but then different drivers seem to perceive and describe the symptoms differently. I am interested in the manual vs dsg thing a) because there seems to have been proportionately more complaints regarding manual rather than dsg and b) I have noticed on a couple of other threads that some owners are being called in for 'the fix' - and this seems have been, so far, for dsg Karoqs. I just wondered if dsg vehicles were being called first for some reason.

• Like 1

Sorry folks, I should have qualified the spec. Yes it is a manual!

My wife will be driving (her) tomorrow based on my advice regarding the fix and she has been very wary about doing so as she has had several bad experiences with the power faid in 2nd so, hopefully, we can start to build evidence of success or otherwise. Like all medicine there are side effects and I shall be keeping a watchful eye on the treatment. (Did I detect a loss of accelleration mmm we shall have to wait and see) ;-D

10 hours ago, JakeB1941 said:

Sorry folks, I should have qualified the spec. Yes it is a manual!

Thanks, Jake, I'll look forward to your reports with great interest. My 1.5tsi manual Karoq is still at the dealers while I drive a 2L diesel courtesy car. For me, the latest from Skoda was that the fix was now available, but I have heard nothing from my (very good) dealer; I suspect that they want to check out the fix for themselves before bothering me again.

Yes hopefully all is well. I presume all dealers will be updating any new and used vehicles they have on the books before those out and at risk with 'us lot'. It took them 40 minutes, give or take, to complete my Karoq update so multiplying that across the dealerships means hell of a lot of work time for them.

I am expecting a call from Skoda UK support today asking for my views on the update I shall be guarded in my reply. 

• Like 2

@JakeB1941

Paid for by VW Group so in the long run customers,

and they will be sure that HMRC helps them pay less for their co-ck up to do w to some 1.5TSI's

It will be nothing like the 'Euro 5 Emissions Fix' vehicles that have been done or should have been done and VW UK will have that workout OK as it will reduce Corporate Profits so Corporation Taxes.  Every cloud has a silver lining.

I am sure Dealerships will take advantage of Up-selling opportunities.

Edited by Skoffski

JakeB1941 OK, this is encouraging to read. My Karoq (manual, petrol) is going in for its software update on Wednesday. It's been a frustrating having to cope with the power fade especially on roundabouts which began to make me feel very wary! The car felt unsafe when merging into a roundabout. I too have experienced the general bucking and shudder in 1st and 2nd and lack of power.

I started letting the car's revs drop down before setting off but doesn't solve the power fade. Fingers crossed that after Wednesday I can enjoy driving the car because I love it otherwise. Will post an update.

Well so far so good, no jumping jack kangaroos or power loss/fade since the update. However only driven in urban road systems so far (would love to have had time to have got out and about) however as most of the problems are in low speed manoeuvres things are looking up. Confidence is returning in what should be/is a great SUV.  Looking forward to other members comments.

On 05/04/2019 at 09:13, StEdmund said:

Thanks, Jake, I'll look forward to your reports with great interest. My 1.5tsi manual Karoq is still at the dealers while I drive a 2L diesel courtesy car. For me, the latest from Skoda was that the fix was now available, but I have heard nothing from my (very good) dealer; I suspect that they want to check out the fix for themselves before bothering me again.

It would be helpful to know who is the dealer you say is very good.  Thanks

10 minutes ago, COYIWELLS said:

It would be helpful to know who is the dealer you say is very good.  Thanks

I have personally found Vindis, Bury St Edmunds to be very fair.

My karoq 1.5 manual is going in for its 1st service on Friday and I've asked them to do the update. Hopefully it will get done. I'm glad it seems to be working for you. 

15 hours ago, StEdmund said:

I have personally found Vindis, Bury St Edmunds to be very fair.

+1

Vindis were a big part of me staying with Skoda. They were very fair with me re the “post fix” problems I had with my Yeti. At one point I was certain I would never buy another Volkswagen group car again. A test drive in the 1.5 tsi dsg Karoq and the previous good treatment/service from Vindis changed my mind.  

Tom

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Janner74 said:

My karoq 1.5 manual is going in for its 1st service on Friday and I've asked them to do the update. Hopefully it will get done. I'm glad it seems to be working for you. 

It will be interesting to hear how you get on as when I spoke to Skoda UK a few hours ago they explained that the factory had pulled the recently released update but SUK were unable to say why, I was told the update due for Q2 was for MY 2019 Karoqs.

Edited by Apprentice

1 hour ago, Apprentice said:

It will be interesting to hear how you get on as when I spoke to Skoda UK a few hours ago they explained that the factory had pulled the recently released update but SUK were unable to say why, I was told the update due for Q2 was for MY 2019 Karoqs.

According to @rayx updates are currently only available for certain models and only if built after a certain date and fitted with an OPF/GPF

On 08/04/2019 at 19:23, JakeB1941 said:

Well so far so good, no jumping jack kangaroos or power loss/fade since the update. However only driven in urban road systems so far (would love to have had time to have got out and about) however as most of the problems are in low speed manoeuvres things are looking up. Confidence is returning in what should be/is a great SUV.  Looking forward to other members comments.

Same here!

Software updated on my 1.5 manual karoq (Nov 18, MY19, post WLTP with petrol particle filter) today and the 25 mile return journey was fine - how I thought it should have driven 5 months ago!

To be honest, lack of throttle response had been improving recently with increased engine mileage and by using shell vpower petrol, and I drove back on a warm engine - so not counting any chickens yet. Kangarooing was still bad before the update, so will check it on a cold morning in the next few days.

Only downside was the 2.5 hours it took to do the update (including test drive and washing the car !!?) - bad marks for vindis cambridge.

• Thanks 1

Just drove back from the dealer with our 'fixed' 1.5manual Karoq (Sept 18, MY19, post WLPT as I understand it). The journey was only about 5 or 6 miles across town + local and all appeared fine. The big test will be on Sunday when I'll be doing a 250 mile round trip on A14/M1 and I will be able to check fuel economy. Previously, on this run, I was able to achieve 48+mpg with mostly setting cc at 65mph wherever possible.

After the 2L diesel courtesy Scout, the 1.5 engine is deceptively quiet at idle - I have to glance at the rev-counter to check that it's still running. The one thing that I'll miss after the Scout is the auto-dipping headlights - they worked beautifully.

I will update after a few more miles.

I ordered mine in April 2018 for delivery 3rd August 18, any idea which version of the 1.5 mine is? presume the update isn't for mine as it's still at Skoda and I have had no contact from them.

Hire car company swapped out the 17 Tiguan for an 18 plate one yesterday and informed me that it's on hire until mid May so far, this time it's a 2.0TSI which seems to go well enough.

1 hour ago, TheRealExile said:

any idea which version of the 1.5 mine is?

The Skoda summer factory break runs from the last week in July to mid August and that's when the model year change happens.

Your car would have been built before that break, so it would be a MY 2018 car (which is still waiting for the "fix")  rather than a MY 2019 (with the WLTP required gasoline particulate filter) which has had the fix released.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/04/2019 at 10:52, TheRobinK said:

The Skoda summer factory break runs from the last week in July to mid August and that's when the model year change happens.

Your car would have been built before that break, so it would be a MY 2018 car (which is still waiting for the "fix")  rather than a MY 2019 (with the WLTP required gasoline particulate filter) which has had the fix released.  

My Karoq was built wk 50 2018 and Skoda UK are still informing me that the Q2 update/fix with regard to the 1000rpm - 1400rpm flat spot issue in 2nd gear is still not available.

Edited by Apprentice
typo

2 hours ago, Apprentice said:

My Karoq was built wk 50 2018 and Skoda UK are still informing me that the Q2 update/fix with regard to the 1000rpm - 1400rpm flat spot issue in 2nd gear is still not available.

The update is definitely available and working on MY19 manual petrol Karoqs.

Mine has it and so far no flat spots (mine was more pronounced below 1000rpm).

Response is still slow, but at least smooth below 1400 rpm. Some kangarooing, but no worse than our 64 1.4tsi Golf. Engine seems smoother overall, and indicated mpg slightly better, but I'll wait till next fill up to confirm.

• Thanks 1

@ DaveW25

I've just received a phonecall from Skoda UK and one of the points discussed was that the "update" was now available for my Karoq.

It will be interesting to hear if you are noticing an all-round improvement with your Karoq post "update".

So far still good, no kangarooing and no flat spots with a smooth pull away in 1st and 2nd as it should have been from the start. Side effects still early to say!  I suspect that there is a slight reduction in initial take up power in 2nd but I might be paranoid so I will not comment further. I am currentlygetting 42.2 mpg rural (mainly duel carriageway) normal driving which I am very happy with.

• Thanks 2