Karoq software update. Progress report.

JakeB1941

30 minutes ago, JakeB1941 said:

So far still good, no kangarooing and no flat spots with a smooth pull away in 1st and 2nd as it should have been from the start. Side effects still early to say!  I suspect that there is a slight reduction in initial take up power in 2nd but I might be paranoid so I will not comment further. I am currentlygetting 42.2 mpg rural (mainly duel carriageway) normal driving which I am very happy with.

That's pretty much the same as me, so far. Unfortunately, we weren't able to take the car on a long run at the weekend but, after 5 days of it sitting on the drive, we had to try it out again today. From cold, there was a slight kangaroo, but I don't think this was any different to, say, my wife's B-max. Initially it was indicating low 30s mpg but after 15mins of dual carriageway, fuel consumption had shifted to 42mpg.

So, so far, the kangarooing is OK; fuel efficiency looks OK (though I will confirm after a longer run); my main gripe - the dying at junctions hasn't really been tested yet and I'll need another two months before I can be confident that problem has been solved.

5 hours ago, Apprentice said:

@ DaveW25

I've just received a phonecall from Skoda UK and one of the points discussed was that the "update" was now available for my Karoq.

It will be interesting to hear if you are noticing an all-round improvement with your Karoq post "update".

When was your Karoq built? 

Hi .. So I took my Karoq (1.5 manual, petrol)  in last Wednesday to get it's update however that update was pulled by SUK while my car was at the dealer. When I went to collect the car, they told me they had installed another update that had been offered by SUK and to see "how I go". They are unable to give me the details of what software I had updated. So far, my car is slightly improved in second gear (no power fade and much more confidence in 2nd), but 1st gear is still pretty bad and inconsistent. So, feeling a bit frustrated and I'm now having to wait for the next update to come along, whenever that might be. Before anyone asks, I don't know if my Karoq is pre-wltp or post wltp? 

Has anyone else had the software update pulled?

Welcome.

It is your car, you gave permission for Updates / Software updates and while a person on a parts desk might say they do not know what details can be given, 

or refuse to give, it is not the Skoda Secret Service campaigns, and you are not bound by the Official Secrets act, infact you are responsible as a driver for your vehicle, 

and them for your safety.

So ask Skoda UK Customer Services or the Dealer Principal to provide in writing the TPI / Service Campaign information if you want to know.

You might well need proof of what they are up to, and they are the ones that bother about Full Service History, Warranty & Service Campaign history, 

they hold it on their Data Base along with information on you.  

Just tell them Data Protection protects you, and does not give them leave for secrecy.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

I have my post WLTP 1.5DSG booked in on Tuesday 23 April.

They want it for a cold start...then drive...then apply update...then drive again.

I will update next week.

When you read phrases like “they told me they had installed another update that had been offered by SUK and to see "how I go". And “They want it for a cold start...then drive...then apply update...then drive again.“ And first, there's a fix ........ then there isn't ....... then there is ...........

It doesn’t exactly fill you with confidence, does it? The engine is clearly still in a critical stage of development. To me, the phrases  ‘A shot in the dark’, ‘clutching at straws’, ‘suck it and see’ come to mind ……… along with ‘they haven’t got a clue what they’re doing'.

My initial cautious optimism reported on Monday is now shrivelling after more kangarooing has been experienced – sometimes worse than ever. The otherwise excellent car, sadly, is heading to a place called rejection.

I am reminded of some old news footage I saw years ago that had been shot in 1930s America of a large airship being guided from a hanger by a very large group of servicemen holding on to lines attached to the airship. As the wind became stronger, the airship became uncontrollable and started to rise. Some men let go, then more – and they survived; it was the ones who hung on, hoping that something might turn up, who were the ones who perished.

Many have already let go of their Karoqs – maybe it’s time for those of us who are still hanging on, to let go.

Edited by StEdmund
apostrophe
  • Like 2

It is a shame cause like you say it's a cracking car, I miss mine being in the hired Tiguan, still can't quite get my head around the fiddly steering wheel controls and the ride to me seems harsher. Surely at some point it will not be economical for them to keep paying for my hire car.

Dealer told me today that there is no update for my MY19 manual 1.5 TSI Karoq on their system.

When I mentioned that other users on forums have had a fix (poss ECU 05E906018R) they said this was most likely scammers!

Told fix coming Q2 still.

20 minutes ago, Jezza4567 said:

Dealer told me today that there is no update for my MY19 manual 1.5 TSI Karoq on their system.

When I mentioned that other users on forums have had a fix (poss ECU 05E906018R) they said this was most likely scammers!

Mine went in today and is still at the dealer. I was told the fix has been pulled and not available on the regular dealer system. However as mine was booked in Skoda have released the fix under some kind of special mechanism involving a series of emails. Rather than wait into the evening for the fix to be applied I have agreed that they work on it tomorrow. 

20 minutes ago, Jezza4567 said:

I was told a week ago by Skoda UK that an update was available for my Karoq wk50 MY19 and it is booked in for it next Tuesday, SUK will also ensure that the Service Centre has the update on their system before I take the car in, it will be interesting to see what evolves over the coming days.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jezza4567 said:

Will call skoda uk direct tomorrow. Do you have a good number for them?

A customer services manager from the executive office usually contacts me as they are aware of the issue with my Karoq, looking at the last call made's history from them the number was 01144503176

Get everything in writing. http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

Get their name, their job title, and never believe a word that is spoken, they work from a script.

Three monkeys, they see, hear and say no evil.

They are just bumping gums with the Corporate Spin.

There are Safety Critical issues.  Corporate Responsibility needs to go all along the line.  Have the Call Handler to the CEO / Board Members take responsibility for their actions or in-actions.

Magazines / Publications / Media are not holding them to account.  What Car / Autocar / Auto Express / VW Driver etc should be ashamed.

Also Death Dumb & Blind selectively.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/466076-new-15-engine-losing-power-intermittently

I picked my car up yesterday after its fix. I have only driven about 5 miles but it seems better....just nicer to drive. I really need to check after a cold start to have some real confidence.

No idea why the fix has been pulled.

A tip from yesterday for the MY18 marsupial members is to use super unleaded...Momentum/Vpower etc....might be worth a try

@33q

Last year there were those being advised to use Super Unleaded, so 97 ron that is sold unless it is 99 ron Tesco Momentum 99, Shell V-Power Nitro + , Costco Super unleaded.

Using Super Unleaded should be a drivers choice, not a necessity to have a vehicle fit for purpose.

If Super Unleaded is the way to get a good driveable car because VW Group coc-ked up then VW Group will be needing to issue 'Fuel Cards', 

because they get WLTP Approval / Certification with vehicles capable of running on 95 Octane.

Well it's been 3 weeks since my Karoq had the update so here's the rub!

Done 285 miles 75% on urban (city) roads the rest on dual carriageway (no need for motorway during this period) average mpg 32.4. Initially I thought the kangaroo had gone away however on a cold start I am getting a 'judder' when pulling away in 1st gear. It is not as pronounced as before and is instinctively smoothed out by a slight dip of the clutch. Had this been the only noticable effect when driving from new I would not have thought twice about it and regarded it as, (wait for it) a 'characteristic'. So from my perspective the drive off is considerably improved. As regards the loss of power at low speed, which I considered a major safety issue, I am pleased to say I have not experienced it at all since the update. So 'fingers crossed' I can enjoy safe and satisfactory driving from now on. Any changes to that and I will let you all know. Good luck and safe driving.

• Like 1

MIne is the same as described by JakeB1941, the car is better to drive, my MPG is 40 but it still does bog down in first gear when COLD... on letting out the clutch and with the foot ON the accelerator there is a noticeable drop in power before it takes off.  I now let the clutch up fully BEFORE pressing the accelerator as a workaround.  Once it's warmed up it's fine.

• Like 1

My experience is about the same as described in the two posts above. I was initially very disappointed when an element of kangarooing remained, but this now seems to have largely disappeared and is probably no worse than my wife's Ford B-max when starting off from cold. In a conversation with Skoda UK, I was informed that the technical chaps reckoned that the ECU would need some 600 miles to settle down and become acquainted with my style of driving. Whilst this might seem a little far-fetched and akin to the tailor's excuse 'don't worry sir, the sleeves will ride up with wear',  I have heard before of ECUs taking time to settle down.

The car now has done 335 miles since the update, 128 of those miles being done today on a mixture of A roads and back lanes up to the Norfolk coast, and it behaved very well; my wife drove part of the way back and she too is convinced of a massive improvement. On that journey, the average speed was 37mph and the fuel consumption showed as 45.4mpg; anyone who knows those roads will be aware that speed combined with safe overtaking is not an option. The 1.5 Karoq is, most definitely, not a speed machine but, if I'd wanted one of those, then I'd have bought a Lamberrari.

I have a further 250 miles to cover at the weekend so, hopefully, we'll see this car develop into something that I'd always hoped it would be.

BTW, so far there has been no hint of the dreaded 'dying at junctions'. As it took two months of that nonsense before I realised that the problem was due to the car and not my driving, I'll need to give it a further couple of months before I am utterly convinced that the problems have been finally solved.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

In a conversation with Skoda UK, I was informed that the technical chaps reckoned that the ECU would need some 600 miles to settle down and become acquainted with my style of driving. Whilst this might seem a little far-fetched and akin to the tailor's excuse 'don't worry sir, the sleeves will ride up with wear',  I have heard before of ECUs taking time to settle down. 

The engine ECU is adaptive, it fine tunes itself depending on how it is driven.  Auto gearboxes are the same.

They don't adapt a crap Engine Management / software into a fandabbydozzy one.

Vorsprung Durch Technik.   

VW co-ck up and just keep digging a deeper hole for themselves.

ECU or DSG adapting should start with a 'fit for purpose' setting and then improve / adapt / suit the driver.

Any story of taking lots of miles, lots of days / weeks to 'perform properly' is total BS.

Edited by Skoffski

I am intrigued why the 18 fix is taking longer.

I naively thought they would be able to do it first as maybe less hoops to jump if regulations lighter than My19?

I guess there are more complications than we know.