Upgrading to inbuilt Navigation

Afternoon all, this is my first post here, be kind. 

So I'm picking up an octavia mk3 vrs estate next week, and I'll be selling my fabia vrs soon after... But this isn't the reason for the post. 

The octavia has everything I want except Navigation. Is it possible to retrofit a skoda screen and glove box unit for navigation? If so what do I need to consider, I've been told a Colombus or amundsen? I have also been told it can't be done as each unit is individual to each vehicle... Who is fibbing? 

I have tried looking through the previous posts with no real joy. 

Any help is greatly appreciated 

Cheers 

Mark

2 minutes ago, Peeler said:

Hi mabl28 - it sounds unusual for a vRS not to have navigation? 

Well I thought it would be something people would spec... But not the case. The mish mash of options is odd... Mine has heated seats, heated screen, Bluetooth, keyless start/entry but no navigation... Odd I know, but there's loads like this. 

2 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Early MKIII VRs's didn't have Navigation as standard. I had a 63 plate TDi, No Nav, Bolero Radio.

Mines a 63 plate tsi, so in the same boat. Is it a do able thing or should I buy a dash nav? 

1 minute ago, mabl287 said:

Mines a 63 plate tsi, so in the same boat. Is it a do able thing or should I buy a dash nav? 

I just bought a Garmin Sat nav, I only used it about 3 times in 3 years. 

I think Kenwood do a Sat nav unit but  their quite expensive. Depends on how much you will use it 

16 minutes ago, Peeler said:

Hi mabl28 - it sounds unusual for a vRS not to have navigation? 

Had a 2014 model Vrs Tdi DSG Rallye Green came from Skoda UK Milton Keynes and first registered Jan 2015 (64 plate) which I bought pre-loved in July 2015 with NO SAT NAV. It was actually very basic now compared to my 2017 Vrs 245 or even the wife's Karoq SEL.:doh:

I just bought a Garmin Sat nav, I only used it about 3 times in 3 years. 

I think Kenwood do a Sat nav unit but  their quite expensive. Depends on how much you will use it 

Same here only needed a Sat Nav rarely and kept my 4.3" screen (seems tiny now) Garmin from my 2013 Octavia SE Tdi.:thumbup:

8 minutes ago, Peeler said:

Hi - was not aware of that, some specs are a bit random.

I had the same revelation last week - I was 100% sure that even the very first Mk3 vRS' had Nav, was extremely surprised to hear differently.

Skoda do love to save those pennies!

I will have an amundsen system to sell soon (screen and main unit) as I have just updated to MIB2 (to get android auto).  Make me an offer if you like.  I will be putting it up for sale on here in the next couple of weeks.

Also to answer your question:

Yes it can be done.  The glovebox unit has component protection which will need to be removed by a dealer. Some have managed to get this as cheap at £50 although my dealer charged £69.  Next it will need to be coded to you vehicle.  Pab567 on here is a wizard with that but you will need to send the unit to Poland so be without sound for a few days.

Other options are non-OEM systems like Pioneer or Alpine.  Both not cheap and reviews of them vary.  I was put off by the reports of slow system response so went with the later OEM system.

Edited by MarkyG82

26 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Pab567 on here is a wizard with that but you will need to send the unit to Poland so be without sound for a few days.

Rustynuts is a bit Closer and he knows his stuff.  I've dealt with him, first class service.   :nod:

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Rustynuts is a bit Closer and he knows his stuff.  I've dealt with him, first class service.   :nod:

Where is Rustynuts based? Thanks btw

It's doable with some units. I've done 2 radio retrofits on my car, a MIB2 Amundsen and now a MIB2.5 Columbus. Only certain radios can be worked with. If you want nav and SmartLink (Android Auto/Apple CarPlay/MirrorLink) then you will want a MIB2 Amundsen and the part number is 5Q0 035 874 A for the radio, and you can pick from either the original 6.5 inch screen or use an 8 inch screen, either an 8 inch PFL Columbus screen (5E0 919 606) or an FL glass panel 8 inch Amundsen screen (5E0 919 605 M) and you may need a new USB depending on your mobile phone (Mine is a 5Q0 035 726 E). The radio will need the Component Protection needs to be removed and then the radio will need to go to someone who knows what they are doing (pab567 is the man I recommend; he's done both of my radio's). Once that's all done, you will be sorted :) Stick to the part numbers that I have listed, the radio's made by Delphi, Panasonic etc can't be hacked to work. The radio's must be TechniSat ones, or the MIB2.5 Preh 5Q0 035 874 C (but that one needs SW and HW hack with CAN filters). Columbus wise it needs to be a Harman unit and there are various part numbers that can be used here. If you are on a budget, it's about £5-600 to fit an Amundsen which is very decent indeed. The Columbus is about £900 and doesn't really add anything except it retains the CD drive and it has different type of mapping system. The MIB2.5 Columbus is different though, and you are looking about £1200 all in for one of those and they are a big step up but not necessary.

• Like 2

My opinion....

I have the top end Columbus in my MY18 Superb with all the bells and whistles.

Quite frankly as a navigation unit it is absolute rubbish, Google Maps, Here maps, etc are far superior. Today whilst getting lost in Manchester, it refused to get me a route to the M60/M62, wanted to drag me through the back roads. First verbal instruction from "Miss I don't speak very good English" was ”Now turn half left”, wtf?

The screen is in a position that draws you far away from looking staraight ahead, the display is way over clutterred.

It came with the car, I wouldn't waste money on it. 

I'd prefer sticking my Sony telephone on the screen somewhere where I can see it.

Or android auto if I had a compatible phone.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, xman said:

My opinion....

I have the top end Columbus in my MY18 Superb with all the bells and whistles.

Quite frankly as a navigation unit it is absolute rubbish, Google Maps, Here maps, etc are far superior. Today whilst getting lost in Manchester, it refused to get me a route to the M60/M62, wanted to drag me through the back roads. First verbal instruction from "Miss I don't speak very good English" was ”Now turn half left”, wtf?

The screen is in a position that draws you far away from looking staraight ahead, the display is way over clutterred.

It came with the car, I wouldn't waste money on it. 

I'd prefer sticking my Sony telephone on the screen somewhere where I can see it.

Lost in Manchester, sounds like paradise city (step forward G n R).:sweat:

• Like 1

Ya see, I disagree entirely - horses for courses and all that.

Would I have paid to have the Columbus installed if I'd ordered new? I don't know - it isn't a cheap upgrade.

However I do have it and I love it. The screen is nice and large with a good resolution so you can see what is going on, all very clear and with really good clarity.

The arrows showing you the next 3-4 directions you need to take are really handy and with such a large screen don't take up any of the real estate.

And, as I've said before, the actual navigation has worked amazingly well - I'm yet to have it not find a location for me and as long as I choose the right route of the three, I've never been sent down single-track roads and the like.

£1200 for a retro fit, I think that is probably too much when you can buy something separate for a lot less - but having had it available to me for nearly 5 months, I truly love it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, xman said:

I have the Virtual Cockpit in my 245. The Nav can be displayed on 4 of the Skins. ( Not the Sport Skin )  Better than looking away from the road.    

3 hours ago, mabl287 said:

Well I thought it would be something people would spec... But not the case. The mish mash of options is odd... Mine has heated seats, heated screen, Bluetooth, keyless start/entry but no navigation... Odd I know, but there's loads like this. 

'Something people would spec'... They seemed quite expensive before they were fitted as standard and the Amundsen seemed to get poor reviews. Tom tom at the time was much cheaper easily updated with speed cameras and easily placed in the eyeline. 

1 hour ago, xman said:

Are the sony phones not compatible? I know there are some brands that have issues but with a little tweak they should all work in the end.

i have a full MIB2 amundsen HU with Android Auto/Apple Carplay, Navigation and 8" flat screen for sale very soon, nowhere near the £1200 price tag, all functions are enabled by Pawel and CP is removed. the screen has a very small line not even noticable therefore im selling it at half the price. I'm running it at the moment and there are pics on my sub build thread if you are interested. It owes me £600 but i would take £500. this is for both the HU and flat screen which includes a tempered glass protector,

20181106_085009.thumb.jpg.7f8440dc1bc55b941cc06eef14971ed6.jpg20181106_083940.thumb.jpg.a6d034fa5fde60a43399bd7b766f682e.jpg20181106_084041.thumb.jpg.e726aed9e544826e649cade7b021422b.jpg 

Edited by JohnnyType2

I experienced the built-in nav in a 2015 and am very glad it isn't spec'd on my car. Awful.  Here is *so* much better it's not funny, and certainly not when it's free and usable offline. Have maps for half of Europe on my phone.... and when using spotify and nav at the same time the music is interrupted perfectly for "in three hundred metres take the exit and then turn left". Dislike the English voice, it's too polite - when you're giving instructions, there shouldn't be a "please", it's an *instruction* - but we've switched back to German and it's awesome. It's actually the default nav in the Swift.  

- Bret

1 hour ago, brettikivi said:

I experienced the built-in nav in a 2015 and am very glad it isn't spec'd on my car. Awful.  Here is *so* much better it's not funny, and certainly not when it's free and usable offline. Have maps for half of Europe on my phone.... and when using spotify and nav at the same time the music is interrupted perfectly for "in three hundred metres take the exit and then turn left". Dislike the English voice, it's too polite - when you're giving instructions, there shouldn't be a "please", it's an *instruction* - but we've switched back to German and it's awesome. It's actually the default nav in the Swift.  

- Bret

Don't all German language navigators lead to Poland?? Vitsi, vitsi :)