Factory fitted alarm - Thatcham Approved?

Vrs Dad

just comparing meerkats for insurance purposes and wondered if anyone knew if the standard alarm / immobiliser is thatcham approved?  My guess is it's not, just wondered if anybody knew or if they knew of an easy way to check?

• Sorry - just realised i posted in wrong forum, i will move it.  my apologies.

thanks

Edited by ColinD
wrong forum

Check the following Thatcham list: - https://www.thatcham.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/January-2019-OE.pdf

Mine is a 2017 Fabia Mk 3 which is on the list. If yours is a 2008 "Elegance" model then that is on the list too.

Well, I did not expect that I was completely wrong there, so even if a car is listed, it seems that most insurers, when initially asking about what protection is fitted, they probably rely on the owner to know this and if not mark that car down and so the risk and the policy price offered is higher?

rum4mo - That sounds about right. Another money making ploy. Perhaps the Thatcham link needs pinning to all Briskoda forums for all (not just Skoda Fabia Mk 3 owners) to read? How do we get that done?

• Administrators

It’s an insurance question, so we can move this to the insurance forum and pin it. It’s a logical question and an excellent outcome.

Must admit I normally just say factory fitted... assuming the insurance co would have a matrix/check sheet.

• ColinD pinned this topic
  • 9 months later...

It is a good question and one that will have many scratching their heads over.

Just completed two quotes with same company using same details - used "manufacturer fitted " immobiliser from drop down box on 1st quote then "Thatcham approved" on 2nd. And quess what, both prices exactly the same.

Not sure it makes a blind bit of difference which type of alarm you use. I think all the insurer really wants to know is does your car have an aftermarket alarm fitted? And if so, is it Thatcham approved ( In other words is it bona fide as opposed to a £9.99 alarm bought off ebay  :D ).

Edited by Guest

• 9 months later...