Virtual cockpit

7 hours ago, KeteCantek said:

I chose a sportline with paddles over an SE-L without. (On of the reasons for it)

I must say I am correct in my hunch that it will be useful. I use it regularly as it's simply quicker such as when i want to overtake quickly. The gear lever isn't too bad but it's the wrong config for me with gear up being forwards. 

Yes, paddles in a 280, I assume that is petrol?

You will have good engine braking and a wider power band etc. This car in Sportline I assume drives nicely on the paddles.

Diesels will suffer from lack of engine braking just like the 1.4.

My other car has paddles and over 360 bhp and the engine braking is huge as is the power range, driving using the paddles is great. It is different though as it has a torque converter unlike the duel clutch of thd Superb.

1 hour ago, vfrvrs said:

Yes, paddles in a 280, I assume that is petrol?

You will have good engine braking and a wider power band etc. This car in Sportline I assume drives nicely on the paddles.

Diesels will suffer from lack of engine braking just like the 1.4.

My other car has paddles and over 360 bhp and the engine braking is huge as is the power range, driving using the paddles is great. It is different though as it has a torque converter unlike the duel clutch of thd Superb.

Yes in a 280. As we all probably know it suffers from laggy throttle response, so paddles help to fix that. 

I can make sure to be in the right gear quickly and just go. The other options are 1) use the gear lever and then go 2) stab the throttle hard and hopes it kickdown to the right gear 

Both are slower and 2) might be inconsistent  too. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KeteCantek said:

Yes in a 280. As we all probably know it suffers from laggy throttle response, so paddles help to fix that. 

I can make sure to be in the right gear quickly and just go. The other options are 1) use the gear lever and then go 2) stab the throttle hard and hopes it kickdown to the right gear 

Both are slower and 2) might be inconsistent  too. 

ALL VAG cars with the same engine (and others) suffer from the same lazy throttle mapping, not a Superb thing.

Best cure though is neither 1) or 2) but a pedal box by far. You can't always be on your toes to carefully plan your next move especially in the environment of a public road, and burying it for kick-down to the lowest gear possible is also not what you want in the majority of occasions. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

Can anyone tell me if the VC will display Android Auto/Google Maps widescreen across the display... or even music/track information?

My partner has a Tiguan with a VC and it just seems daft you cannot move your AA/Google Maps up to to the cockpit thus are forced to use the cars internal Sat Nav nor does it display the Song name or Wall art.....it's just very odd....

Edited by Zenbasses
spelling error

On 15/04/2019 at 14:01, BoxerBoy said:

Yes.

I noticed Lewis wasn’t using a stick while winning his race yesterday. For good reason.

Utterly idiotic question alert!

As a current manual Superb driver, likely to go DSG next - do you need to lift your foot off the accelerator in a DSG when manually shifting up or down (lever or paddles), or can you keep your foot on the accelerator and the DSG box handles the shift / clutch requirements?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Keep your foot planted then use the paddles as required.

Oh good, that's what I hoped - thanks. I did drive a DSG Yeti for a few months while I was waiting for the Superb to arrive, but for some reason I never felt compelled to do any manual shifting in that, and it certainly didn't have paddles! It was Corrida Red and I used to refer to it as the 'postie-van'... :biggrin:

4 hours ago, Zenbasses said:

Hey

Can anyone tell me if the VC will display Android Auto/Google Maps widescreen across the display... or even music/track information?

My partner has a Tiguan with a VC and it just seems daft you cannot move your AA/Google Maps up to to the cockpit thus are forced to use the cars internal Sat Nav nor does it display the Song name or Wall art.....it's just very odd....

I am not aware of Android Auto being available on the VC on any VAG car. The Google Maps bit I think is possible on some Audi's with integrated GMaps, but only the Maps thing, not the full AA interface.

The second question sure, you can have media info on the VC at all times (it's my main set-up), like in the following pic:

IMG_20190410_170242.thumb.jpg.42c2551a9c0304428f521d3c59bc5d45.jpg

Thanks @newbie69 for answering my questions, it does look like either my partner has found the 'view' yet to push the track info to the VC or the Tiguan doesn't have it, I haven't played around with it much yet as she has only had about 3 weeks.

Still seems odd about AA but I am sure there is a technical reason why it can't be done in most circumstances.

It's not a deal breaker as it'll just be AA on the main screen as per normal, I also hope they have fixed the issue where you cannot stop/start the track by pressing the left hand twisty wheel thingy, that does work on the Tiguan but doesn't on my 65 plate Mk3, also ways a prod at the screen.

13 minutes ago, Zenbasses said:

Thanks @newbie69 for answering my questions, it does look like either my partner has found the 'view' yet to push the track info to the VC or the Tiguan doesn't have it, I haven't played around with it much yet as she has only had about 3 weeks.

Still seems odd about AA but I am sure there is a technical reason why it can't be done in most circumstances.

It's not a deal breaker as it'll just be AA on the main screen as per normal, I also hope they have fixed the issue where you cannot stop/start the track by pressing the left hand twisty wheel thingy, that does work on the Tiguan but doesn't on my 65 plate Mk3, also ways a prod at the screen.

Probably because, if I'm not mistaken, to get the media info shown in the VC dial you need to customize the view and that's not possible via the steering wheel controls, you need to set it once from the main screen, then you switch to it from the steering wheel controls. I have it on my default view so once set it's always there. I'd be very surprised if that's not possible on the Tiguan.

Pause/Resume works as you described, by pushing the twisting volume dial on the left side of the steering wheel ;)

Edited by newbie69

• 5 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, JackySi said:

Anyone retrofitted VC cheaper than this: https://www.oemvwshop.com/3V0920790A-combi-instrument-p2192787/#gallery
I almost feel off the chair, the cost for an LCD screen with few LEDs and speaker... What on earth!?!?!

Try:

AvtoZona VAG

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1