Fuel consumption

As I said, 3rd "feels" so much better than 4th at 30mph.

But then I keep worrying ... "Surely the guys who designed the car know what they're doing, if they say it's best to change to 4th at 30mph, maybe it is?"

17 minutes ago, alan4856732 said:

As I said, 3rd "feels" so much better than 4th at 30mph.

But then I keep worrying ... "Surely the guys who designed the car know what they're doing, if they say it's best to change to 4th at 30mph, maybe it is?"

The engineers working for VAG do not always get the mapping for the fuelling correct you just have to read the many, many pages of comments on the Karoq 1.5TSi engine thread to realise this. Do what feels natural and works for you and sod the computer.:)

Manufacturers' claim for fuel economy are anywhere between inaccurate and wildly optimistic. The latest testing/certification should improve matters considerably, though. My old 1.2 TSI 110 DSG improved considerably over the first 10,000 miles and was always better when driven properly, i.e. not being driven in 'Granny' fashion. Great little engine.

my current Prius Hybrid seems to have a disliking for giving less than 65mpg and, when driven 'properly, in a mix of ECO/Normal and Power modes is very happy to give 80+mpg. A factor in this is that it rides on the free-option 15" wheels and 65-series tyres.  Lovely ride, potholes not a problem and emissions are low. Something of a revelation. Big wheels and low-profile tyres might look nice but that's about it, really. Very happy bunny.

• Like 1

NEDC testing suggested DSG 245 Octavia's should average 44.1mpg when in reality they manage about 37mpg average in the real world. My manual 245 combined figure was 42.8mpg under the old regs but has given a steady 40mpg average. New WLTP testing illustrate how wrong the old NEDC testing was as now the more economical DSG averages 38mpg and the manual 39mpg so the DSG has dropped by 6mpg compared to the 4mpg drop for the manual.:thinking:

On 16/05/2019 at 16:11, SurreyJohn said:

Didn't someone say in the past that for the first 1000 miles (might have been 1000km ?) the engine is programmed to behave differently as it is tight, can't remember what was said but it was something like idles 250rpm higher and the DSG works from a special programme rather than learning driving style.   There is actually something in the handbook about restricting revs for initial X miles

For the 1.0 it seems to loosen up considerably after 2000 miles

OK so I just taken the car out for a run on country roads for about a 45min run. 1st half I was varying the speeds and activating the turbo on long stretches and 2nd half I just set the acc to the speed limit. Got an average of 5.4l/100km and i saw at one point it went down to 5.2l. Is this good for a country run with some sharp cornering and braking, I imagine I can get better by driving on the motorway. What would 5.4l/100km be in mpg?

Was fun to stretch her legs! When you put your foot down to activate the turbo she can really move and seemed to hold well in cornering at speed.

Happy man!

6 hours ago, jamos316 said:

OK so I just taken the car out for a run on country roads for about a 45min run. 1st half I was varying the speeds and activating the turbo on long stretches and 2nd half I just set the acc to the speed limit. Got an average of 5.4l/100km and i saw at one point it went down to 5.2l. Is this good for a country run with some sharp cornering and braking, I imagine I can get better by driving on the motorway. What would 5.4l/100km be in mpg?

Was fun to stretch her legs! When you put your foot down to activate the turbo she can really move and seemed to hold well in cornering at speed.

Happy man!

You don't say what the speed limit was so it is difficult to comment on consumption. 

The UK uses Imperial gallons (which are larger than US gallons) so you have to be careful which online converter you use, but 5.6L/100 is 50mpg (in imperial gallons).

I found the 1.0tsi Fabia to be a really fun car to drive with far better handling and agility than I expected.

1 hour ago, Gerrycan said:

You don't say what the speed limit was so it is difficult to comment on consumption. 

The UK uses Imperial gallons (which are larger than US gallons) so you have to be careful which online converter you use, but 5.6L/100 is 50mpg (in imperial gallons).

I found the 1.0tsi Fabia to be a really fun car to drive with far better handling and agility than I expected.

Roads with limits of 40km/h 60,70 & 80. As i said on long stretches I was activating the turbo so going upto 100km/h, 110 when i know no speed cameras are about ;)

@jamos316

So it's your driving style to blame. Babying it. Be a man!

Also too many short trips in town. You kill it like that.

The best advice so far is NOT to drive at same speed. Go from 'grandma' to 'steal it' with everything in between like a boss.

Edited by RicardoM

They definitely enjoy being worked a bit! But make sure that everything is up to temp before giving it the beans. 

What I'm impressed with is how I'm getting the same sort of fuel economy as my 1.2 TSI 90 Fabia was getting in a slightly larger car with more umph, while it's still not quite run in! 

Mine seem to average 61 with 25/75 city/motorway. Also, unlike other cars with the 6 speed manual it seems to improve economy going between 70-80 where as my Audi A3 anything over 65 it dropped off. Also agree with above the shift indicator is very early and doesn’t seem to make that much difference keeping the revs that low. 

E2E8963D-E477-4723-97F3-FC08965B6B29.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Dannyboy85 said:

Mine seem to average 61 with 25/75 city/motorway. Also, unlike other cars with the 6 speed manual it seems to improve economy going between 70-80 where as my Audi A3 anything over 65 it dropped off. Also agree with above the shift indicator is very early and doesn’t seem to make that much difference keeping the revs that low. 

E2E8963D-E477-4723-97F3-FC08965B6B29.jpeg

That's really quite good - I wonder if the extra grunt in the little engine makes things easier uphill or getting to speed and hence reduces fuel consumption at speed?

FWIW, I'm doing a number of motorway miles and don't think I've seen an average of 65mpg yet in the 1.0tsi 95ps, 5sp manual.

10 hours ago, Benz3ne said:

That's really quite good - I wonder if the extra grunt in the little engine makes things easier uphill or getting to speed and hence reduces fuel consumption at speed?

FWIW, I'm doing a number of motorway miles and don't think I've seen an average of 65mpg yet in the 1.0tsi 95ps, 5sp manual.

Must be a bit of both the 6spd and few extra horses. Probably more difference high speed versus low.