2 year warranty on "fix" about to run out: what to check?

Previous owner had the "fix" applied almost 2 year's ago. I've been thinking about having a rollback but not yet done it. Before the 2 year warranty they give on the fix runs out I figure it's a good idea to get it looked at for any emissions related damage. Whats-more, the car has been doing regens every 100ish miles lately so it does not seem right and there is loads of diesel contamination in the oil with the level being over the limit. 

Is this something I can take it to Skoda for and get them to check it over? I seem to recall there is a specific number to call or something like that for emission related stuff?

It sounds like you're doing a lot of short journeys and consistently interrupting regens. If this is the case and you turn up to Skoda with a dead DPF they're very likely to turn around and charge you as this driving pattern is harmful to the DPF. That said, it won't hurt to ask Skoda about it.

If the car is otherwise driving normally then I'd leave well enough alone. EGR failures as a result of the update usually happen quite soon after it is applied as built up gunk stops the valve opening to the wider setting required by the update. If it hasn't failed by now as a result of the update it's probably not going to.

• Like 2

I use VAG DPF app on my phone and the Carista OBD2 plug in adaptor to actively monitor DPF regens.  I can only think of a handful of occasions since having this when I haven't been able to manage the active regen by driving to allow it to complete.  I believe this will help keep the DPF healthy.  This will also tell you the software file you are running, something like the number 9978 will be present in the 'SW' information at the bottom of the screen.  Small journeys won't do your DPF any favours.  I have noticed a couple of times when on holiday in the lake district for example, doing short journeys the regen was much more frequent.  Made up for it on the way home and typically get 250 miles between regen.  

I doubt there is anything you can do to check if there if any damage etc after two years.  Maybe get a more regular oil change and monitor the DPF.  Having had coming up on three years post-fix running with no engine issues I am swayed that if it ain't broke dont fix it and won't likely go for a rollback.  I do like the idea of a remap but again, the power and driving experience is fine for me and I know no better.  I didn't own the car pre-fix so have only ever known the performance with the fix in place so I don't think I am missing out...?

My advice - get VAG DPF and monitor your regens and allow them to complete.  I always use Shell V Power diesel, and change oil pretty religiously, can't say I am noticing any diesel contamination (I have the CR140 engine).

Hope that helps....

• Like 2

My 109k miles CFFB engine hasn't been "fixed" and I am fortunate that most of my journeys are on Motorways and Dual Carriageways at national speed limit. Only a few short trips in between. I couldn't agree more that it's worth using the VAG-DPF app - brilliant! I usually manage 300/400 miles between Active Regens. Sometimes see some Passive Regens too. This comment is Just for info and comparison purposes as clearly everyone's circumstances are different. 

BTW I always use Premium Diesel. Also I don't have any problems with oil level - just uses a wee bit between 10k services. 

Regards, 

Drefaldwyn 

Edited by drefaldwyn
More info.
  • Like 1

100 miles between regens on a fixed car is normal if the journeys are short.  Every now and then I have a week or two where the car mainly does 10km to the office and the same back. This is diesel abuse, but it at least gets a good long 2 to 4 hour runs on the motorways more frequently than the bad "10km" weeks. 

When I am having one of my "diesel abuse" periods, the regen will kick in between 160km (100 miles) and if I have done some journeys other than the office run, about 250km.   The 160km regens occur when the car has been really abused by too many short trips where it doesn't get to full temp. 

If I am pulling up and a regen is occurring, I usually try to keep going and let it finish. Its my understanding that an interrupted regen is the main cause of diesel leakage into the motor oil. 

• Like 3

I can't avoid short trips sometimes. I have periods where for a month it is mainly short trips. Others where it is more a mix including several long runs. But no matter what it seems locked in 100 mile regens now even though I do my best to let the regens complete when it wants one. It used to be more like double that, and I think it started when a regen was missed once or twice in a row. Just seems to have got itself in a mess even though the regen is complete now and has been complete several times. Can the system be reset?

I do use the app but not religiously, it's just not practical to always let the car dictate when it wants a run when I have somewhere I have to be.

In terms of the oil, sounds like maybe it is a result of regens not completing then but I worry it could be something else. Can't be good for it. It is changed every year even though the book says every two. The right oil. I had it changed recently, and within a week or two the oil level was too high.

Failing sensors should result in a fault code and /or EML light which then prevents the DPF from regenerating.

Skoda's Trust Building Measure includes 11 emissions related components, but excludes the DPF...

image.png.9efeaee0b8bdcf6a16cd6cd6fd9b0e26.png

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/ea198-trust-building-measure

22 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Failing sensors should result in a fault code and /or EML light which then prevents the DPF from regenerating.

Skoda's Trust Building Measure includes 11 emissions related components, but excludes the DPF...

image.png.9efeaee0b8bdcf6a16cd6cd6fd9b0e26.png

https://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/ea198-trust-building-measure

Not necessarily - they can fail with a plausible signal. It happened to a friend's Superb - it was regenerating almost constantly because the failure gave a plausible signal for a full DPF.

That's why I used the word 'should' rather than 'will'. The most common sensor failures, at least those commonly reported on here, result in readings outside of the parameters required to either temporarily or permanently trigger the EML.

Well, regardless of whether removing the "fix" is a good idea or not, a rollback wont correct a faulty part.  It might  mean some errors  go away (i.e. partially blocked EGR seems  OK again because its no longer being asked to open 100%)  but it doesn't mean the core issue (EGR full of crap) is altered.

• Like 1

I can't say what to do but below is my experience.

My EGV regulator became clogged which brought the engine management light on. This was just a few days over the two year "warranty". Due to illness I could not get it looked at for another six months but had told my dealer. Skoda rejected the dealers claim but Skoda accepted my claim as a good will offer. Skoda therefore paid to have it cleaned out including the stub connection.

Strange that Skoda rejected the dealers claim but accepted mine with support from the dealer!:D

Saved me just short of £280.

Edited by Danny 57