Reversing camera retrofit - connecting up

On 18/12/2019 at 17:48, skoda2019 said:

But i take it the camera you linked to seems to come with the extra plugs on it, do they just clip over the original one, or do i have to cut them off and join to pins on the original block?

A picture speaks a thousand words 😀  when/if you get chance you you please post a picture of the rear of your head unit connection.

I tried to make it simple but i don't know if i made it.

Διαφάνεια1.JPG

Διαφάνεια2.JPG

Διαφάνεια3.JPG

Διαφάνεια4.JPG

Few days ago the signal lost.

When i put reverse gear only black screen appears.

I've checked all the connection but everything looks fine.

I've pulled off the power cable and plug it again....the signal appeared again.

When the ignition is off and on again the signal is gone again.
I don't know what is going on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2019 at 20:49, NikTheGeek said:

There should be enough slack to reach around the left and disconnect the multiplug. Then there is enough slack in the multiplug to allow you to release the blue connector ready for your pins. I just did it the other day and the hardest part was routing the cable from the back to the front. The wiring up was positively easy after that!! :)

IMG_20190525_211107.jpg

IMG_20190525_213301.jpg

does the orange go in 12 or 6 mate? also how do you count the pins on the connector only bit i'm struggling with

19 minutes ago, gavstan799 said:

does the orange go in 12 or 6 mate? also how do you count the pins on the connector only bit i'm struggling with

It depends on how your connection is wired but usually the black is negative and goes to pin 12, if you look really closely, 6 and 12 are printed in tiny numbers on the plug.

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

It depends on how your connection is wired but usually the black is negative and goes to pin 12, if you look really closely, 6 and 12 are printed in tiny numbers on the plug.

superb thank you

On 25/05/2019 at 23:42, SashaGrace said:

You enter 5F Infotainment, scroll down to Long Coding and then you can scroll down the text to the box that says Byte 19 Bit 4 ‘reverse camera low’ and tick enabled.

got a signal error fitted all wiring and connections and used obd just gettin black screen, think i best check the blue plug DOH

17 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

If it says no signal that’s usually power, if the video was wrong it’d be black and white and all scrolly. I would look at the power connection again, strip and solder is always the best way, scotch locks are so hit and miss.

one of the connections on rear wiper was a bit loose, all sorted now, thank you so much for the help 😀

6B29BAD5-1741-4C7E-8490-FAC88529672F.jpeg

• Like 1

On 15/12/2019 at 19:58, ksts said:

Pull the trigger!!!!

Works perfect!!!

I received the camera before a week and tried this morning to check if works.

I was surprised with the coding. When i was ready to do the coding with vcds, i saw that the coding was already done. I didn't do anything at all.

Now i have to install the camera and pass the cable for the connection.

I must mention that my Octavia is MY2018 facelift.

Can anyone please confirm that this camera works with the dynamic lines before I purchase ?

Otherwise I will go with the alternate “static” one linked further up. (Note: this is for my MY20 which I think these are both correct size).

10 hours ago, Achallenge said:

Can anyone please confirm that this camera works with the dynamic lines before I purchase ?

Otherwise I will go with the alternate “static” one linked further up. (Note: this is for my MY20 which I think these are both correct size).

I believe not as that is done in the head unit on a genuine installation. There is no communication with the camera so the lines can't move, they would just be static. Although having said that, the distance markers might still be useful for judging distance away from a wall as in the pic above.

21 minutes ago, NikTheGeek said:

I believe not as that is done in the head unit on a genuine installation. There is no communication with the camera so the lines can't move, they would just be static. Although having said that, the distance markers might still be useful for judging distance away from a wall as in the pic above.

Thanks 👍

On 13/02/2020 at 09:51, NikTheGeek said:

The communication is with the steering angle sensor via Canbus, if the reversing camera image is shown on the display it will normally overlay the trajectory lines.

I have an aftermarket head unit and a generic reversing camera, as you say there is no communication but once the camera was connected (power from the rear wiper so not sensed by head unit) as soon as reverse gear was engaged the video input was displayed together with the trajectory lines, didnt do it before so it must sense when there is a video signal connected.

When reversing soon after starting the engine the trajectory lines remain straight and it does not react to steering inputs, my assumption is that the canbus is busy checking all the other modules.

It was a nice surprise for me to see the trajectory lines, I was not expecting it and the camera does not produce them, they are overlaid onto the video image.

Edited by J.R.

hello... been reading up on this for a while and purchased this item:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283687965666

this is for my octavia vrs 2019 estate, which i believe the camera has now been calibrated for (by the seller)

so the next steps are to get the thing wired. I think there's enough info in this thread to get going. 

I have odbeleven

the wiring kit

trim tool

Is there anything else I need? what about inserting the pin in the back of the head unit? 

I'll rescan this thread again and check if i've missed anything. I'm in no rush as I have nowhere to install it that's under cover so will need to wait for the weather to improve.

any help greatly appreciated :D

15 minutes ago, zombiefly said:

this is for my octavia vrs 2019 estate, which i believe the camera has now been calibrated for (by the seller)

so the next steps are to get the thing wired. I think there's enough info in this thread to get going. 

I have odbeleven

the wiring kit

trim tool

Is there anything else I need? what about inserting the pin in the back of the head unit? 

I'll rescan this thread again and check if i've missed anything. I'm in no rush as I have nowhere to install it that's under cover so will need to wait for the weather to improve.

£17.64  17% Off | HD 170 Degree Fisheye Lens Car Trunk Hand Switch Rear View Camera For Audi A4 VW Touran Tiguan Tournamen Skoda Speed Octavia
https://a.aliexpress.com/_sEvIW3

thats the one i bought that nickthe greek recommended and works great

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, zombiefly said:

I have odbeleven

the wiring kit

trim tool

The basics of this thread detail fitting aftermarket cameras, this one you link is a genuine Highline one so there are many differences and more to do. You will have to wire this to CAN etc etc. I’ll have look for some guidance for you but on another note, how much did you end up paying for the camera with the correct calibration on it? Thanks :) 

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

thanks for the info. I think this task is beyond me. I should have picked up one of the cheaper cams.

I wonder what are the chances of Skoda fitting it for me? is it worth asking?

• Like 1

It is, but they will likely say no. There are highline style cameras available for about £30 on AliExpress now that have the guidelines and fit in much the same way as the cameras discussed here. If you don’t want to tackle this task with the genuine camera you have please drop me a PM, I’ve been tempted to upgrade my aftermarket one for an OEM Highline one so would be willing to take it off your hands as I also have an Octavia 5E Estate so the calibration will be the same for my car :)

• Like 1