need new infotainment sytem

You will need to replace like for like, if you have one of the hard to worn with MIB1’s a used radio sometimes just will not work. All of these MIB units are Component Protection locked, you will need to have that removed and then VCDS level coding to get the option boxes to match your car. A like for like MIB1 swap should be very possible and depending on the cost of CP removal and a replacement radio, be around the £2-250 marker. I cannot stress enough that the new radio needs to be the exact same part number as the old one, it can’t just be an Amundsen MIB1, there are 5 or 6 different part numbers from different manufacturers. For the easiest swap, it needs to be like for like. Some MIB1’s can be reworked to make the install work but by the time you have paid for that it will be more than swapping in a MIB2.

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

You will need to replace like for like, if you have one of the hard to worn with MIB1’s a used radio sometimes just will not work. All of these MIB units are Component Protection locked, you will need to have that removed and then VCDS level coding to get the option boxes to match your car. A like for like MIB1 swap should be very possible and depending on the cost of CP removal and a replacement radio, be around the £2-250 marker. I cannot stress enough that the new radio needs to be the exact same part number as the old one, it can’t just be an Amundsen MIB1, there are 5 or 6 different part numbers from different manufacturers. For the easiest swap, it needs to be like for like. Some MIB1’s can be reworked to make the install work but by the time you have paid for that it will be more than swapping in a MIB2.

Ok have ordered the tools needed to take unit out to find part number

19 hours ago, chrisski said:

Ok have ordered the tools needed to take unit out to find part number

i have an MIB 1 amunsden unit if you need to replace @chrisski just give me a shout if youre interested, came off of my 15 VRS.

Have the sat nav sd for it too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello all ... I realise this was a while ago but I have the exact same problem with my Skoda Fabia 2018 1l petrol auto estate ..... totally blank screen and fault diagnosed yesterday by main dealer who said it's defo the control unit itself .... to quote: "internal fault with infotainment control module 5F." Like the OP back in 20219, I have been quoted a ridiculous amount (which I simply don't have!) to supply, fit and code a new one, hence needing to try and find one 2nd hand ...... Any help, advice or suggestions would be very, VERY welcome! I'm in south Lincolnshire by the way ..... TIA!

1 hour ago, triciaj said:

Hello all ... I realise this was a while ago but I have the exact same problem with my Skoda Fabia 2018 1l petrol auto estate ..... totally blank screen and fault diagnosed yesterday by main dealer who said it's defo the control unit itself .... to quote: "internal fault with infotainment control module 5F." Like the OP back in 20219, I have been quoted a ridiculous amount (which I simply don't have!) to supply, fit and code a new one, hence needing to try and find one 2nd hand ...... Any help, advice or suggestions would be very, VERY welcome! I'm in south Lincolnshire by the way ..... TIA!

PS I desperately need to know at least what the correct name of this control module is, and if there is any way to find a part number through the vehicle details please (eg VIN, chassis number etc) ... PLEASE HELP damsel in distress!!

19 minutes ago, varooom said:

@triciaj 5F is the address for the radio in the system.  The part that lives in glovebox.

Probably something stupid like £2-3000.

That's the "module" they are talking about replacing.

Thank you so much for replying! That's what I thought (the part that lives in the glove box)  but I honestly don't know .... which is why I'm trying to get the "proper" name of it! I do know appaarerntly I don't need a new screen .... power is getting to the control module but no further! They've quote me just under £1000 but no way do I have that sort of money to spend! (Hence trying to locate a salvaged one!) But is this the same as the "body control unit"? If not, then what is its proper name and is there any way I can get the part number without having to pay to get the unity taken out?

@triciaj You can buy some radio keys for a few pounds to remove the unit and then see what's written on top of it.

Obviously unsure of the diagnostic process they used to determine it's dead, but if you plan to DIY a fix, then it needs to come out to ID unit.

Will try to grab exact key name to extract. T10057 (may need 4x keys)

Edited by varooom
Additional Information

Based on VIN you have Bolero glove box unit 5Q0035842C and display unit 6V0919604B. I doubt this is power issue - the problem you described is typically caused by EMMC failure but it can also be flash or iMX6 processor problem. Flash and EMMC error can be fixed by replacing flash or EMMC chip respectively (in case of EMMC it als requires patching the unit). If the problem is caused by iMX6 then unfortunately you can just throw it away.

I can try to repair it if you deliver it to me (Poland).

I can also deliver replacement unit, unlocked (no need to visit Skoda dealer), or upgraded unit - Amundsen (with OEM navigation), also fully unlocked. Cost of Bolero is 165 GBP, Amundsem 250 GBP (with AMundsen you also get SD card with latest maps loaded and internal GPS antenna). Shipping cost not included - typically it's 20 GBP. Upon delivery you have to pay local import taxes (mostly VAT).

• Like 4