Spare wheel size

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Well I popped into Arnold Clark who rang round for quotes, they said the best place was DM Keith who would supply a spacesaver and Jack for £240..... 

Christ alive! My Mk3 came fitted with a spare, so I didn't have to buy one. But the spare for the previous Mk2 was £100 new from the dealer.  They agreed to split it with me as part of the purchase, so I only paid £50. Definitely worth checking the bay of E or breakers perhaps. 

• Like 1

for my previous Superb I purchase a full size steel wheel from Tyreleader, then approached my local tyre garage (run by my old neighbour) to get a tyre fitted. 

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

I’m new to the Skoda Superb forum but not to briskoda because we had an Octavia 3 before, bought in 2014.

We’ve now got a Skoda Superb SEL Exec 1.4TSI ACT 150 PS DSG 5 door Hatch in Candy White.

The wheel size is 18" and the tyre size is 235/45 18 W.

Like many others, it only has Goop to solve a flat tyre problem. Analysing the punctures over 70K miles in the Octavia, (we live in the country) out of 5 punctures, 3 were to the side wall so no joy with Goop.

I’ve seen the following advertised (it’s a T125/70 R18 tyre) as a space saver.

Has anyone any views and does anyone know if the fit in the spare wheel well?

Regards retiredbri (good to be back)

space saver spare.jpg

On 02/06/2019 at 10:47, Bigpikle said:

at the risk of further complicating this......what about a spare for a car with 19" wheels? My Sportline 4x4 190 only has the goop and I want to get a spare instead - looks like it will run a 16 but wonder if its a good choice? Reading about diff issues with different size wheels I'm also wondering how you do this with a 4x4? I guess putting it on the rear is still better given it probably wont be driven through those wheels most of the time in most conditions at a reasonable speed etc etc?

I’ve gone for a 19” space saver for my 4x4 sportline. There is less than 2% difference in circumference it just fits in the wheel well 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Esseesse200 said:

I’ve gone for a 19” space saver for my 4x4 sportline. There is less than 2% difference in circumference it just fits in the wheel well 

struggling to find a 19" spare at reasonable price.

Is there are any difference between a 2018 and 2019 cars as far as wheels? I cant see why but have seen some wheels listed as compatible for 2018 cars and not my 2019? Seems odd?

Edited by Bigpikle

Audi A5 space saver lots of those are 19. Think the size you want is 125-70-19

pop into eBay search Audi 19” space saver. There are loads but cheapest is around 60 quid then you’ll need the tool kit. For a Skoda superb. The Audi ones have all the tools you’ll need but the foam won’t fit the boot space of a superb 

Edited by Esseesse200

I’m going round in circles (no pun intended) with Space Saver tyre sizes.

One is advertised for the Superb with 18in wheels has a T125/70 R18 tyre. The outside diameter of tyre is 630mm

This is 5.5% less than the car’s 18in wheels with 235/45 18 W tyres.

Talking to a Space Saver manufacturer he says that this is OK but keep the journeys down. They do 17inch with a T125/90 R17 tyre and 18inch with aT125/70 R18 tyre. Both have tyre diameters of 632mm.

There is some good news. If this Space Saver could be used, it easily fits in the spare wheel well!!!

Any comments please would help.

Regards retiredbri

Space Saver wheel  and a wheel that saves space is very different, but both will be Emergency Wheels / Tyres and you will need to slow down.

If you need to use one you still need space to carry the full size wheel / tyre that came off the car if the boot is full, why not get a wheel / tyre to match the 4 on the car?

Thanks

We are both in our mid seventies and rely on Skoda Assistance/AA to remove the punctured tyre off and the Space Saver Spare onto the car. 

The punctured tyre then goes in the spare wheel well. The garage then takes it out and either mends the puncture/gets a new one if it can't be fixed.

As retired people there two things we have learned:

1    Only spend money when you gave to (we can't go out and earn more) 

2    Keep everything as light as possible 

Regards  retiredbri

• Like 1

But, having been independent all our lives and frequently travelling with our young  grandsons, the £58 (part used) cost was a good investment.

16 hours ago, retiredbri said:

The outside diameter of tyre is 630mm

Talking to a Space Saver manufacturer he says that this is OK but keep the journeys down.

tread isn't too big, have you read first page and opened links?

opposite dealer says, diameter is problem

On 02/06/2019 at 09:43, MartiniB said:

-5.3% _ -6.7%, this huge size difference cancels usage of cruise control

about inches of disc, even 16 will be ok, size of tire is more important than size of disc

On 02/06/2019 at 15:38, MartiniB said:

even you have smallest it isn't big problem -
cause it can be installed on the rear axle,
just extra screwing if damaged front one

if damaged front wheel then install first spare to rear axle and then full size to front

• Thanks 1

On 21/08/2019 at 12:32, retiredbri said:

I’m going round in circles (no pun intended) with Space Saver tyre sizes.

One is advertised for the Superb with 18in wheels has a T125/70 R18 tyre. The outside diameter of tyre is 630mm

Talking to a Space Saver manufacturer he says that this is OK but keep the journeys down. They do 17inch with a T125/90 R17 tyre and 18inch with aT125/70 R18 tyre. Both have tyre diameters of 632mm.

There is some good news. If this Space Saver could be used, it easily fits in the spare wheel well!!!

Any comments please would help.

Regards retiredbri

Try eBay for a 125/70/19 off am Audi A5. That’s much closer to the original size. 

Thanks but I got the 18in version. I'm now adapting the expanded polystyrene in the spare wheel well to fit and still support  boot  floor in the Normal position, 

Regards  retireredbri

On 22/08/2019 at 21:57, retiredbri said:

Thanks but I got the 18in version. I'm now adapting the expanded polystyrene in the spare wheel well to fit and still support  boot  floor in the Normal position, 

Regards  retireredbri

Ahhhh yea I did that but the spare fits directly in the floor then you get a polystyrene insert with the tools in that fits in the wheel