Fabia Estate ....... Discontinued ?

I am on my second Estate its fab with Tardis room inside for the size of car. They dropped the equivalent car in the Seat range 2 years ago I hope Skoda do not go the same way.

I would be very surprised if the next gen Fabia has an estate version.

A little while ago in the supermini estate class there was the Fabia, Ibiza, Clio, and 207. Now, the Ibiza estate has been replaced by the Arona, the Clio estate by the Captur, and the 207 estate by the 2008. The Fabia will be next with the Kamiq replacing the Fabia estate. The Kamiq is basically a Skoda version of the Arona or VW T-Cross. 

In the meantime though, I can't see them ditching it until the next gen Fabia arrives, probably in around 2021/2022 sort of timeframe. But small SUVs are the way the market is going. Can't say I'd be interested in one personally, I'd rather either a small hatch or step up to a medium hatch (think Golf) if I needed the space. I think the new Scala could be a good option. It's closer in boot size to the Fabia estate than any other medium hatchback, at 467 / 1,410 litres vs 530 / 1,395 in the Fabia estate. 

I had a Fabia Mk2 estate and it was a brilliant car. Going by the amount of second hand used Fabia estates (or rather lack of) on the Skoda used car website, it would suggest they aren’t as popular as we think they are? Shame as they are decent motors. 

I am reasonably sure I saw a new Polo estate the other week, so there must be a market if VW are building them.

On 04/07/2019 at 08:41, threadbear said:

I had a Fabia Mk2 estate and it was a brilliant car. Going by the amount of second hand used Fabia estates (or rather lack of) on the Skoda used car website, it would suggest they aren’t as popular as we think they are? Shame as they are decent motors. 

I think it's quite the reverse. Once folks have one they tend to keep them. Plenty for sale around where i live but they all have massive mileages on the clock, both petrol and diesel. I kept mine for years, and I've actually had two of them. Such a versatile car for it's size.

Fabia Combi boot looks to be almost as big as the Yeti, shame the seats don't fold right up.

I have found that I can get more in the car if I don't put the seats down (more padding in Monte Carlo seats )

Edited by gumdrop

1 minute ago, gumdrop said:

Fabia Combi boot looks to be almost as big as the Yeti, shame the seats don't fold right up.

I have found that I can get more in the car

Yeah bought one new in 2010 and kept it longer than any other Skoda I have owned at 4 years. Think its 505 litres and you can even fit 8 feet by 2 feet boards with the tailgate closed. It's incredibly spacious for the length of the car.:thumbup:

On 07/07/2019 at 14:29, gumdrop said:

I am reasonably sure I saw a new Polo estate the other week, so there must be a market if VW are building them.

There's never been a true Polo estate. There was an estate (and saloon) at the time of the Mk.3 but they were closer to the Seat Cordoba of the time than the Polo. There have also been saloon versions of the Polo Mk.4 and Mk.5 but they were never sold in the UK.

In my opinion because it is "fashionable" these days to have a hatch or an unecessarily large 4X4 many people are largely unaware of the versatility/utility value of an estate car. Coming from the 70's I know and would never be without one. It is interesting how often I get approached by passers by enquiring where they can get one as there are so few around these days. Dacia seems to have no trouble selling theirs and If eventually I have to move away from Skoda (perish the thought), that's almost ceratainly where I will be headed. Another comment in this thread is probably right in that I intend to keep mine for at least another five years. Dam shame they stopped making the Roomster too.

• Like 1

On 15/07/2019 at 12:45, vc-10 said:

There's never been a true Polo estate. There was an estate (and saloon) at the time of the Mk.3 but they were closer to the Seat Cordoba of the time than the Polo. There have also been saloon versions of the Polo Mk.4 and Mk.5 but they were never sold in the UK.

What I saw was a Golf estate 😉

If you drive 3 or 4, even 5 people someplace like to an airport it is nice if there is space for more than just carry on luggage, or if you just have 2 or 3 children in the back a buggy or 2 and clothes, food etc.

I have a 7 seater that can take 7 people but would need a trailer to take any cases, or golf clubs etc.

I think it is an extremely versatile small family car, run children to school with all the necessary bags

get fishing gear inside the car and carry it all, wow.

Drive briskly and listen to the exhaust note, the little devil thinks its a sports car as well. Brilliant!

Cheers for the info...... i have seen a few used examples some with the 1.0TSI engine and others with the 1.2 version, all around the 2016-2019, which is the best to go for ?

Both the 1.2 and the 1.0TSI engines are ok, but the 1.0 is far superior in terms of it's build and design. The 1.2 is very noisy mechanically and can be prone to oil drain back from the valve gear (a main reason for it being so noisy). the 1.2 can be more economical than the 1.0TSI especially when loaded heavily. It produces less torque than the 1.0 but it peaks at just 1400rpm against the 1.0 ltrs 2000rpm. You don't have to wait for the 1.2 to get up and go! Having said that, and having been burned by two of the 1.2TSI Mk3's, I'd go for the 1.0ltr engine and as late as possible model. Good luck, and go for some test drives if you haven't already.

On 27/07/2019 at 19:11, Hudson1 said:

Cheers for the info...... i have seen a few used examples some with the 1.0TSI engine and others with the 1.2 version, all around the 2016-2019, which is the best to go for ?

If you can find one, there is also a 1.4tdi pre facelift.

Only mentioning this as your bio says you have a 1.6CR fabia.

Hudson 1.  I looked at a nearly new 2018 blue Fabia Estate at Lightcliffes in Warrington (Skoda main dealer).  It had less than 2,000 miles on the clock and was a 1.0 litre SE L.  Apparantly it was owned by an old gent who had to give up driving.  Close enough for you to nip over and look at for yourself.  If you do, ask for Lewis Peacock.  He dealt with me and was extremely courteous even when I told him the car wasn't for me.  I went for an Octavia in the end from a different dealer  but if you want a Fabia estate, it's certainly worth a look if it is still available.