Bungled 60K Service!

Hello all, I'm new here, but have a Superb Estate, Tour de France, 55K miles 4x4 and it is/was wonderful. it is a '14 plate car, diesel.

Bought new from Skoda main dealer, serviced by them from new and it was fantastic, fault free and utterly dependable.

Service notification was at mid 54K so had a full 60K service, MoT, new Cam belt/pump/tensioner fitted, brake fluid changed, £850 at same dealer.

Car was running just perfect when delivered last Wednesday.

Collected the car Wed evening with fresh MoT and everything done, paid up and drove the 17 miles home. Service agent commented on what a great well looked after car it is.

However....

At 2100 rpm to 2500 rpm the engine not changes and a real grumble sets in. Over or under that rev range the car sounds like it always has done.

This drone is repeatable and occurs in every gear whether the engine is under load or coasting down hill.

This is the rev band I drive in, gear selected for the speed I need, so is VERY irritating indeed. I returned the car to the dealer the following morning to ask for some fixes. Road tested without me and the response was 'drives like a new car Sir, nothing I can do, but if it gets worse then bring it back.

Anyone with some ideas what could have been done wrong?

The filter boxes before the throttle body seem wobbly to me, the tech said that is usual. I wipe clean this engine every week after the car wash so know how this engine 'feels' and I've never noticed this wobble before. Thus it could be the filter mouldings loose and vibrating.

Another suggestion offered by a car minded friend is the belt tensioner is too tight (?)

On Sunday I plan to remove the covers etc the tech will have removed while getting to the cam belt and filters, but I would very much appreciate any words of experience from any on here.

Thank you in advance, Graham.

Techle:

Thank you, will contact you if tomorrow reveals nothing!

Jafo: what does the Service action detail please?...

Ah, just found out, it is the emission action. That was done ages ago, at least 18 months, and the car ran perfectly after. Been serviced since and the car was perfect after, and then last week and it is grumbling in that rev range.

Full check-out tomorrow.

Will report back.

Edited by 911hillclimber

I had a vibration at this speed which was very annoying to find when I first got the car but unlike you it was only on applying power mine never done it when coasting.

My problem was the way the engine mounting had been bolted together out of spec  and on realigning properly the noise vanished.

• Like 1

@Tech1e

It drove me daft for about a year 😡

With mine being a 4x4 I was checking all drivetrain expecting a worn joint somewhere.

I have the use of a garage where the owner owns a taxi fleet of Seats/VW and Skodas and the techs were rushing the t/belt jobs and I noticed not one of them took the time to position the 2 pieces together at the correct spec (showed them how and why it should be done and fixed the vibrations)

• Like 1

So useful, thank you v much!

My investigation this morning was very short.

Eased the top cover off the engine, the cover was a loose fit, but all the 4 locations were good, but that is as far as I got!

From there on in you almost have to do the job the dealer has done, so closed it all and will take the car back tomorrow armed with the mounting info you have all given me.

I'm not messing about under the car to do something I cannot adjust correctly, could make it worse.

I'll take the tech out for a run and demo the drone to him and hope they will take it from there. If I can have a loan car I'll leave it with them.

So:

Can you give me some details to given them about the engine mounting please? There is  no mention of this mounting on the internet.

Modern cars are a pain when not working.

Give me a classic for simple maintenance!

Edited by 911hillclimber

Just for info does the mounting issue also affect the mkII 4x4 Octavia?  I ask as we have a similar!AR drone under power on ours that I thought could either be the rear doughnut or a worn DMF given its done over 80k miles...

OK interested now...   How easy is it to check / correct and any chance of a link to info.?

Thanks

Actually...   Is this related to the top rhs mount with the two stretch bolts that needs to be parallel?

Edited by skomaz

RHS?

Does this mean on the cam belt side of the engine?

The internet shows the mount to be 2 parts, a large 'triangular' casting bolted to the engine with 3 bolts, 2 very long.

Then there is the 'rubber' side that bolts on top of the engine and to the body. This block has 2 vertical bolts that pass through 2 elongated slots in the cast body of the rubberised mount. There is a plain hold between these two slotted holes.

I guess the 'parallel' term is to get the 2 bolts to be equally in the slotted holes so to have the mount 'parallel' to the engine?

Thank you to all so far in this quest, got to get it fixed!

Yes, those are the ones!

The 2 bolt holes are slots to allow alignment of the mounting and the engine/shell with the weight of the engine in place. I presume it is easy to have some contact under some circumstances if the parts are under some mis-alignment.

The centre hole I guess is used to position the engine and body parts of this large mounting.

Car with the dealer now, and had a detailed chat with the owner who is workshop bias I think.

He noted the noise I have found, came out with me in the car for a 5 mile drive, so I could demo the issue.

I'm sure he is committed to resolving the problem.

He spoke of aligning the 2 bolts as possibly being the culprit, but wanted to fully examine the issue and the work carried out at the service/belt change last week.

Looks like the car will be ready some time tomorrow. Doubt they spent all day on it today, but interesting the fix has not been 'instant'.

Good new tomorrow afternoon I hope.

• Like 2

Just driven back from the Dealer and all is PERFECT, Superb even (sorry).

They checked out everything on the cam belt change, checked all torques on bolts but also re-aligned the top side engine mount Techle has described for us.

All drones have gone, and it drives now just as it did when it went in.

All is right with my 'Skoda World' and I'm pleased with how the Dealer has stuck at it to sort it all out. The Dealer owner road tested the car as he did yesterday.

Thank you all for your help, esp Techle who had his finger on this straight away.

P1070542.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 911hillclimber said:

Thank you all for your help, esp Techle who had his finger on this straight away.

Glad it's sorted.

As much as I appreciate the kind words it was @DEL80Y that mentioned the engine mounting alignment first. It did however strike a chord with me and past experience. A community answer to your problem.

• Like 4

Thanks for the info guys and apologies for jumping on the thread!  I've just done about 600 miles to and from Belfast with a drone that I've had for a while (it doesn't usually bother the wife given she drives it most with no load but drives me nuts 4-up with luggage so I'll be checking this out as soon as I can...

7 hours ago, Tech1e said:

Glad it's sorted.

As much as I appreciate the kind words it was @DEL80Y that mentioned the engine mounting alignment first. It did however strike a chord with me and past experience. A community answer to your problem.

hi Tech1e

is this a simple thing to solve as i think mine is suffering from this.