Is it economical to have ARB bushes done same time as brakes

Wench

Ok so just been reading about the clunking thread. My Fabia has been doing this for the past year. I can’t remember exactly what it’s had done but I’ve had at new ARB bushes, and I think new track rods, track rod ends and drop link replaced. The same garage that replaced the arb bushes did my front brakes.

Ive never managed to “wear out” a set of brakes in a year, and they now need doing again; I wonder if the garage hasn’t done a very good job on the ARB bushes (ie used cheap parts).

Fabia will be getting new front brakes shortly, is it going to be cost effective for me to get some super flex arb bushes and put them on same time as the brakes, or am I likely to be throwing my money away.

Car only passed mot a couple of weeks ago, but I need to sell it within the next year, hence wanting to fix the knocking, but me to get “value” from spending the money 

7 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Well, I'd want to actually know what's causing the clunk rather than throwing parts at the car and hoping...

I wish I knew... it’s been into the garage several times and had bits of the suspension replaced as we go (that all needed doing), nothing has cured it yet.

Clunk = front wishbone rear subframe console bush? Have a look at the tube like bit of metal, looks like a bolt, but it isn't, that goes through the console bush. If it is off centre in the bush then it is likely the console bush has gone and clunking. 

If your wheels are straight you need to get your head behind front wheel and look at it from behind.

Compare both sides of car.

Should look like this....

Not very scientific, but when I changed from voided / have air spaces ones to solid ones the side that looked off centre was on its way out. There was a lot of elasticity and little rigidity in the bush.

If you have not replaced in last 30 to 50k miles it could be the culprit, particularly if you drive a heavy Vrs 1.9 tdi engine.

IMG_20190419_154647150.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest BigJase88

ARB and  brakes are not connected at all

if it has had new arb bushes within the year they will be fine

you must just be heavy footed on the brakes

50 minutes ago, BigJase88 said:

ARB and  brakes are not connected at all

if it has had new arb bushes within the year they will be fine

you must just be heavy footed on the brakes

I should highly doubt I’m “heavy footed”... I only drive about 10k miles a year. Previously I’ve beeb doing circa 30k, and never had a set of brakes changed in less than 12 months. 

34 minutes ago, Wench said:

Previously I’ve beeb doing circa 30k, and never had a set of brakes changed in less than 12 months. 

That sounds like "mostly motorway miles" to me. Now I've managed as much 200 miles of motorway without touching the brakes, and when I did it was to go into a service area.

Guest BigJase88
1 hour ago, Wench said:

I should highly doubt I’m “heavy footed”... I only drive about 10k miles a year. Previously I’ve beeb doing circa 30k, and never had a set of brakes changed in less than 12 months. 

Well then you maybe have a sticking brake caliper then or the pads that were used last time round were made of cheese