Kodiaq Sportline Tyres

I have placed an order for a Kodiaq Sportline 4x4 150 BHP Diesel with the DSG box in Meteor Grey. Because of the extra goodies that I wanted its a factory order, I'm waiting for the build week.

I have searched the various forums but can't find an answer to my query.

What sort of tyres are fitted to the 20" wheels on the Sportline given its a 4x4? Yes I know the purists say its not '4X4' its ' all wheel drive', but that's a conversation for another topic. Do Skoda fit all season tyres or just summer grade?

Has anyone any experience of getting the tyres swapped over to a tyre of their choice whilst the car is being PDI'd  at the dealership, and at what cost?

Living in the wilds of West Cumbria aka The Lake District all season tyres seem to be the best compromise against the expense and faff of summer and winter tyre rotation.

TIA for your thoughts and collective knowledge.

• Like 1

I doubt the Dealership want the Take Off tyres but they might put the tyres on that you buy.

But as well to have that done at a Tyre Fitters and sell your take offs yourself.

You can just ask at the Dealership.   It is a shame that SUV's are imported to the UK with inappropriate tyres for All Year / All Seasons / All Weather.

Screenshot 2019-08-17 at 13.16.29.png

Screenshot 2019-08-17 at 13.17.25.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

Yes the Vredstein would appear to be the only all season tyre available in the UK. However it looks like there is more chance of me finding rocking horse poo than selling the tyres that will come with the car for a decent price to make it financially sensible. Plan B could be to wait until they've worn down sufficiently, swapping front to back at 10-15k, to justify changing them to SWMBO!

• Confused 1

Have you spoken to the dealership about this,  they may be happy to try and accommodate you. 

You could also give SUK Customer Services a try,  but best if you do it via email or letter - no paper,  no trail! 

When I bought a 2nd hand  Honda years ago I told them I wasn't happy with the mix n match tyre arrangement. When I collected the car the tyres looked 'new'(ish), but at least were all the same brand and model with decent tread.

Apparently they just swapped them over with a car they were sending straight to auction.

Edited by Guest
FFS

@MarkN901

Maybe best see what tyres the car comes with.

An option might be Buy 'barely used' Winter Tyres / Wheels on rims that are not 20".

There will be suitable sets available. (Briskoda..)

Actually selling tyres that are new take offs is quite easy with Enthusiasts Forums.  Briskoda For Sales very handy as people sometimes want from a Skoda and that fit.

Good as well for buying Winter Tyre / Wheels, as people change cars.

PS

If you need tyres for Winter driving, then it is Autumn now, and not that far away from Winter.

Edited by Roottootemoot

As things stand, without even a build date, it will likely be the back end of October at the earliest before I'm likely to take delivery. I'll see what response I get from the dealer and Skoda direct.

I've never had a problem with summer tyres in the winter. Perhaps more to do with my driving abilities, ahem 'class 1 advanced', than the road conditions. But SWMBO will also be using the car so I want it to be as sure footed as possible.

I will look to see what's available in the second set arena. At least then I've considered all options.

So here's the response from the supplying dealer:

The tyres that come on the Sportline are all-season general use tyres, designed to cope with a multitude of surfaces and driving conditions appropriate to the car. The ones on our Sportlines here at the moment are Continental Sport Contact 5, but as SKODA use several different tyre manufacturers in order to prevent supply issues at any given time, it’s impossible to say what brand will be fitted to your car.

The tyres themselves are designed to perform extremely well irrespective of weather or season. There’s no option/choice as to what type of tyre the car comes with from the factory. I would recommend that if you specifically want winter tyres for the car, sourcing these from a reputable independent tyre supplier once you have taken delivery of the car would be a less expensive option than sourcing them from a SKODA retailer.

Pretty poor but to be expected response from a lot Skoda salespeople that haven’t any product or brand knowledge and fall into the category of if their lips move they are lying.

Anyway the truth be that Continental class their Sport Contact 5 as a summer tyre.

672019A2-C7EA-48E1-BFEA-675CB5D605E1.png

Oh I know, and its been superseded by the ContiSportContact 6. Which is, yup, a summer welly.

I'm expecting a similar response from Skoda UK TBH. But then I'd have a tenner on any SUV salesperson saying the same thing. Its not like I'm going to drive it up Skiddaw! Just want it to have reasonable all round ability on all roads in all seasons.

Edited by MarkN901

It does not matter if a Scout or any VW Group AWD / 4x4 & that includes the Lifestyle Pickup there tyres are generally rubbish.

Bridgestone Dueler are a joke, but then Skoda and others fit them as well to AWD's.

ContiSport Contact 6 have been on the go since 2015, nothing special, and as for all weather braking that is obviously not where 3 peak certification is required, which can be in Germany if we are talking 'All Seasons / All Year'.

Edited by Roottootemoot

8 hours ago, MarkN901 said:

Yes the Vredstein would appear to be the only all season tyre available in the UK. However it looks like there is more chance of me finding rocking horse poo than selling the tyres that will come with the car for a decent price to make it financially sensible.

Just ditch the "look at me" 20's, there are plenty of city-dwellers on the school run who'll pay good money for them on eBay or Gumtree.

Then get yourself a set of 18's or 19's where all-season or all-winter tyre choice is aplenty.

I found the Hankooks to actually do pretty alright in the snow. 

I do see that Pirelli have their Scorpion Verde all season available in 245/45R20. Might be of consideration as you’ll get more rim protection. 

• 5 months later...

To add some more info to this thread, I’ve just fitted 245/45/20 Michelin cross climate SUVs to my kodiaq sportline and they work great. Look a bit more chunky but wet grip much improved and will give us half a chance in snow (without going for full winters). 

They look good and presumably the extra 10mm tyre width over the stock 235/40s gives an extra 5mm of kerb protection when parallel parking.

I’m sure that they’re safe but I would have thought that the fitment of a non-standard (i.e. not recommended by the manufacturer) sized tyre is something that could potentially invalidate an insurance policy.  Did you tell your insurer and if so what was their position on it?  I may be wrong but I had always presumed that tyres had to conform to one of the specs on the tyre pressure info plate that comes on every car.

Thanks, that’s good to know because I really wouldn’t want to give any insurance company an excuse to pull cover in the event of a claim, especially a major one which naturally would be the only type in which a beady eyed inspector ever be deployed to check over your car.