Kodiaq Sportline Tyres

On 19/02/2020 at 09:00, DoubleD said:

Here you go

57E279BF-7F0A-4E3F-A933-289FD5BB3B21.jpeg

E2F521D1-37A6-4200-AFAA-C76849B761C3.jpeg

15656832-F994-44F9-8046-32D1CFC7CB23.jpeg

Anyone else tried this?  Am looking at replacing my tyres (one axle at a time) but don't have much choice on the standard 235/45/20 tyre size so looking to go 245 too.

Any other recommendations?

There are a lot more options in 245/40/20 even over here in NZ. Apparently makes little difference overall and on all the tyre calculators they say it is acceptable.

I was going to do this on my VRS to save money too, but they had a special on Scorpions at Christmas so I bought some even though I don't need them yet. 

• Like 1

On 16/06/2021 at 15:03, snala said:

There are a lot more options in 245/40/20 even over here in NZ. Apparently makes little difference overall and on all the tyre calculators they say it is acceptable.

I was going to do this on my VRS to save money too, but they had a special on Scorpions at Christmas so I bought some even though I don't need them yet. 

look forward to your feedback once fitted

On 18/06/2021 at 10:48, chrisluciofg said:

look forward to your feedback once fitted

That's what I have already so just went with the same as they seem okay. Done 27,000kms and down to 3mm so should get me through winter.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to grave dig this one, but I've just become a Kodiaq owner (we are now exclusively Skodalorians with a Yeti and a Kodiaq), and its Pirelli Scorpion Verde Seal tyres are kaput. They are 235/45 R20 (it's a 140TDI Sportline model - 2018, Australia).

I too don't have much to choose from in that particular size, and the choices I do have are expensive. Replacement Pirellis of the same type are nearly AU$1800 for 4. Whereas some Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season in 245/45 R20 are $1100. It seems folk here in this thread have successfully installed that size. According to calculations it only affects the speedometer by 1km/h up to 120 at which point it's out by 2 (going by dash speedo of course which only uses integers). 

So before I go and order these tyres, I guess my question is - would that tyre size have always been rare when Skoda chose it? Is there a reason they didn't just use 245's? I have no idea the engineering process that goes into such decisions, but given our 2010 Yeti has been such a solid reliable care I'm cautious about doing something Skoda didn't think of doing from the factory.

Thanks in advance.

@beej the prices seem to be a lot more similar between 235/245 in Europe and probably contribute a slight bit to fuel economy. The whole VW group generally use the same tyre size for their cars (i.e. Tiguan/Kodiaq/Tarraco all use the same tyre size for a given rim size/width) which may be another factor.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2023 at 19:46, ZacDaMan72 said:

... and probably contribute a slight bit to fuel economy

Due to increase in weight from being slightly wider/bigger? Yeah I thought about that. Though the Scorpion Verde Seals which came with the car are supposedly a little heavier due to the puncture resistent seal inside them.

Anyway, I'm thinking I'd like the extra few mm on each side of the rim to protect the wheels a little more. I'm coming from 6 years in a dual cab ute with 32in AT's on a 8.5in wheel and wouldn't be able to scrape the rim if I tried. Going to take a while to remember to avoid curb edges.

Currently deciding between Falken Azenis FK510 and Scorpion Verde All Seasons in 245/45 R20. The Falken Wildpeak AT3's on my ute have been fantastic, and the FK510's have been spoken about well in a number of review sites. 

• 1 month later...

I have the Falken 510s in 18 inch on our Kodiaq and I've been very pleased with them.  Quiet and grippy and good in the wet.

Previously I've had cross climates on our Octavia and prior to that vredestien sporttrac.  All were very good.

• 1 month later...

I just downgraded my 19” wheels to 17” yeti wheels .. for more suitable to the New Forest single track roads 

The replacement tyres touch the kerbs , not the rims 

The outside circumference is less than 1% difference 

so I have a spare set of 19” rims and tyres with just 5000 miles on them 

(also… 21mm socket seams to fit over the jack winder up if you have an impact driver, so I hear) 

225/40/19= 2082   As supplied 

225/50/17 =2063 0.92% less ( yeti ) 

IMG_2703.jpeg

IMG_2706.jpeg

Edited by Anton13579

29 minutes ago, Anton13579 said:

I just downgraded my 19” wheels to 17” yeti wheels .. for more suitable to the New Forest single track roads 

(also… 21mm socket seams to fit over the jack winder up if you have an impact driver, so I hear) 

IMG_2703.jpeg

IMG_2706.jpeg

Might be more relevant in the Karoq section.

4 hours ago, Anton13579 said:

IMG_2703.jpeg

As per JR above.

Hope you don't mind me saying, but zooming in, I'd have thought kerb damage is the least of your worries!  There's damage over the full alloy radius.  What have you hit?

Hope you never used the best out of the four to take a picture of. :D

4 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Karoq no one had 18” wheels and had no damage for 3 years until it was rear ended at 40 mph  at the end of the motorway . It was a total loss- I had very limited choice of replacement cars , or a 38 week wait 

.In two months the new one touched two kerbs at very low speed

is very poor design choice . 
it’s a SUV, who puts narrow low profile tyres on a SUV . 

They will need a minor referb before selling. 

4 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

As per JR above.

Hope you don't mind me saying, but zooming in, I'd have thought kerb damage is the least of your worries!  There's damage over the full alloy radius.  What have you hit?

Hope you never used the best out of the four to take a picture of. :D